What's your favourite piece out of the Big Book?

The book Alcoholics Anonymous, aka The Big Book, is the basic text for the AA program of sobriety. "Alcoholics Anonymous" Copyright 2012 AAWS, Inc. All Rights, Reserved. Short excerpts used by permission of AAWS

What's your favourite piece out of the Big Book?

Postby Tosh » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:21 am

Mine is:

Page 62:
Selfishness-self centredness! That, we think is the root of our troubles.

I reckon Bill could've just used the word 'self centredness', since I think selfishness is a manifestation of self centredness (just as all other character defects are). But it's amazing, the more I discover, how true this statement actually is and the whole program appears to be an antidote, geared up to combating this very human aspect of ourselves.

And another reason why I like it is because when I first read it, I seriously disagreed with it. I thought drinking, my ex wife, lack of money and the rubbish set of cards I'd been dealt were the roots of my REAL problems; so to do a 180 degree U-turn on this old thinking is quite a profound change of mind, for myself.

(I still suffer from selfishness and self centredness mind; just not as much as I used to; but it's still very much there and I'm a 'works in progress' as they say in A.A. :mrgreen: )

So, what's your favourite part of the Big Book - if you have one - and why?
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Re: What's your favourite piece out of the Big Book?

Postby leejosepho » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:29 am

Tosh wrote:... what's your favourite part of the Big Book - if you have one - and why?

Any part that helps correct mis-information, and I say that because bad information can kill alcoholics!
=======================
"We A.A.s do not *stay* away from drinking [one day at a
time] -- we *grow* away from drinking [one day at a time]."
("Lois Remembers", page 168, quoting Bill, emphasis added)
=======================
leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Postby Todd M » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:53 am

Groggy Tired and Waking up I am... and I'm Todd, I am an Alcoholic
Two parts are my Favourites... both are not within the first 164 pages.

Siritual Experience .....(my primary Daily Goal)
Doctors Opinion .........(my primary Daily Acceptance)
There is Hope, Todd M
Keep it Simple

The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link:
http://www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
Todd M
Forums Long Timer

Postby Tosh » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:35 am

leejosepho wrote:
Tosh wrote:... what's your favourite part of the Big Book - if you have one - and why?

Any part that helps correct mis-information, and I say that because bad information can kill alcoholics!

Alcoholism kills alcoholics! Now what's your favourite part of the book, bad boy! :mrgreen:
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby PaigeB » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:31 am

As we go through the day we pause, when agitated....

Page 87. Please note the placement of the comma! WE PAUSE. When [we find ourselves] agitated... we ask for good orderly direction. I think the peace is in the pause no matter what state we find ourselves in, because for me, the pause puts me back in the reality of any situation - not misdirected by my "magic magnifying mind"!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Sally » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:04 pm

The promises- and 2 stories- Freedom from bondage and Me An Alocholic?? (3rd edition-
i don't have a 4th edition here)
Sally
Sally
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Tosh » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:15 am

kettle wrote:The promises- and 2 stories- Freedom from bondage and Me An Alocholic?? (3rd edition-
i don't have a 4th edition here)
Sally

I like the promises, but I'm not overly keen on the 'regret' part (we shall not regret the past). I think guilt is a damaging emotion; it stems from the ego ("I'm so so bad" is no different from an egotistical view of arrogance), but regret is different. Regret is healthier because it can help prevent us from repeating past negative behaviour. And I do regret my past - some parts of it anyway.

Anyway, that's just my opinion. :D
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby ann2 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:12 am

Tosh, I cannot pick. I get so excited when I read anything in there. Here's one I have as a canned response:

"To be gravely affected, one does not necessarily have to drink a long
time nor take the quantities some of us have. This is particularly
true of women. Potential female alcoholics often turn into the real
thing and are gone beyond recall in a few years. Certain drinkers, who
would be greatly insulted if called alcoholics, are astonished at
their inability to stop" (p 33) www.aa.org/bigbookonline
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby Frankie » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:08 am

Good Morning Tosh!
I too can't pick any one. I will tell you this though, when you read or quote part of the Big Book, I will say "I love that part." Lately though this has come to mind a good bit.

The first requirement is that we be convinced that any life run on self-will can hardly be a success. On that basis we are almost always in collision with something or somebody, even though our motives are good.....
http://www.aa.org/bigbookonline/en_bigbook_chapt5.pdf

Those good motives I have, sometimes can be hiding some kind of "self" that needs a look at. And just for today, I don't want to step on toes, collide, or harm anyone. I now have a Higher Power that guides me, if I'm honest and if I'll trust and let him. I start out with trust and soon I have faith.

Thanks Tosh!
Frankie
Forums Enthusiast

Postby leejosepho » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:10 am

Tosh wrote:
leejosepho wrote:

Alcoholism kills alcoholics!

Yes, and especially when alcoholics are given and/or hang on to bad information. :wink:

Tosh wrote:Now what's your favourite part of the book, bad boy! :mrgreen:

My first sponsor made this "first impression of A.A." on me ...

"... has had the same difficulty ... obviously knows what he is talking about ... his whole deportment shouts ... he is a man with a real answer ..." (page 18)
Last edited by leejosepho on Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
=======================
=======================
leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Postby Jaywalker Steve » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:40 am

"Our very lives, as ex-problem drinkers, depend upon our constant thought of others and how we may help meet their needs." (page 20)
"A kindly act once in a while isn't enough. You have to act the Good Samaritan every day, if need be." (page 97)

Hard to choke down at first considering our nature. Thinking of these truths keeps me on path when my head is screaming to derail me.
Every group has men and women who put too much thought and effort into their daily sobriety and not enough of themselves into their daily living. - Ed B., Akron, OH
Jaywalker Steve
Forums Long Timer

Postby PaigeB » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:31 pm

Frankie said: I too can't pick any one. I will tell you this though, when you read or quote part of the Big Book, I will say "I love that part."

Me too!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Sapling » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:59 am

From Doctor Bob's nightmare.

If you think you are an atheist, an agnostic, a skeptic, or have any other form of intellectual pride which keeps you from accepting what is in this book, I feel sorry for you. If you still think you are strong enough to beat the game alone, that is your affair. But if you really and truly want to quit drinking liquor for good and all, and sincerely feel that you must have some help, we know that we have an answer for you. It never fails, if you go about it with one half the zeal you have been in the habit of showing when you were getting another drink.
Your Heavenly Father will never let you down!

I like how he uses the word never.
Sapling
Forums Enthusiast

Postby leejosepho » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:56 am

I like how Bill used the word "Rarely" to thwart the possibility of an alcoholic taking the Steps and then getting drunk just to prove him wrong!
=======================
=======================
leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Postby Sapling » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:35 am

He regretted not using the word never...It bothered him...But I agree that is probably why he used rarely. I will say if you follow that path....It works. You want to stray from it...You'll probably drink.
Sapling
Forums Enthusiast

Next

Return to Big Book Study