12/29/08 BB A Vision for you p. 161 (life among AA)

The book Alcoholics Anonymous, aka The Big Book, is the basic text for the AA program of sobriety. "Alcoholics Anonymous" Copyright 2012 AAWS, Inc. All Rights, Reserved. Short excerpts used by permission of AAWS

12/29/08 BB A Vision for you p. 161 (life among AA)

Postby Karl R » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:18 am

Good Day,

"God, I offer myself to Thee--to build with me and to do with me as Thou wilt. Relieve me of the bondage of self, that I may better do Thy will. Take away my difficulties, that victory over them may bear witness to those I would help of Thy Power, Thy Love, and Thy Way of life.

May I do Thy will always!"

A common peril and a common solution.

Anyone care to share of their ES and H concerning life among AA as described here in the days when this was written and life among AA in 2008?

Have a great day,
Karl

But life among Alcoholics Anonymous is more than attending gatherings and visiting hospitals. Cleaning up old scrapes, helping to settle family differences, explaining the disinherited son to his irate parents, lending money and securing jobs for each other, when justified - these are everyday occurrences. No one is too discredited or has sunk too low to be welcomed cordially - if he means business. Social distinctions, petty rivalries and jealousies - these are laughed out of countenance. Being wrecked in the same vessel, being restored and united under one God, with hearts and minds attuned to the welfare of others, the things which matter so much to some people no longer signify much to them. How could they?
Last edited by Karl R on Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Karl R
Forums Old Timer

Postby martin08 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:52 pm

These words from "A Vision for You" are visionary indeed;

"But life among Alcoholics Anonymous is more than attending gatherings and visiting hospitals."

At the time this was written, there was no fellowship 'network' as we know it today. The painful truth - most people who depend on meetings to keep away from a drink don't make it - is played out daily.

Of the fellowship members who were attending regularly five years ago, I can count only a few dozen of the ones that are still 'drink free' today out of hundreds upon hundreds that have passed through the doors and back out in my area.

Of the ones who have had a Spiritual Experience and continue to selflessly help others, all are sober and at peace.

It is plainly evident that the authors of "Alcoholics Anonymous" could forsee that fellowship attendance alone could not guarantee sobriety in 1939, in 2008 and all the years inbetween and to come.
martin08
Forums Long Timer

Re: 12/29/08 BB A Vision for you p. 161 (life among AA)

Postby leejosepho » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:37 am

With "attending gatherings and visiting hospitals" being at the core of their "where" in relation to "frequent contact with newcomers and with each other -- the bright spot of our lives" (page 89), early A.A.s seem to be sharing these following things as major parts of their "what" for each other and others:

[Helping with] old scrapes, helping to settle family differences, explaining the disinherited son to his irate parents, lending money and securing jobs for each other, when justified - these are everyday occurrences.

In other words, meetings and looking for others to help were far from being the dominant parts of their activities while "giving of themselves that others may survive and rediscover life." (page 153) With "love" meaning "action" rather than mere feeling, they were truly learning and love-living "the full meaning of 'Love thy neighbor as thyself.'"
=======================
"We A.A.s do not *stay* away from drinking [one day at a
time] -- we *grow* away from drinking [one day at a time]."
("Lois Remembers", page 168, quoting Bill, emphasis added)
=======================
leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Return to Big Book Study