12/22/08 BB To employees pp 148-150 (an new attitude)

The book Alcoholics Anonymous, aka The Big Book, is the basic text for the AA program of sobriety. "Alcoholics Anonymous" Copyright 2012 AAWS, Inc. All Rights, Reserved. Short excerpts used by permission of AAWS

12/22/08 BB To employees pp 148-150 (an new attitude)

Postby Karl R » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:44 am

Good Morning,

Thanks to all who come to read and to write.

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Our previous reading continued with the chapter To employers reinforcing the idea that if we are spiritually fit we can go anywhere liquor is served. This is a question often asked this time of year.

Today's reading (below in red) closes the chapter "to employers" with the idea that the alcoholic employee, after getting straightened, can have a new attitude and a new productivity. Important on the human scale of things and important on the business scale of things.

Anyone care to share on anything alcohol related?

The other day an approach was made to the vice president of a large industrial concern. He remarked: "I'm mighty glad you fellows got over your drinking. But the policy of this company is not to interfere with the habits of our employees. If a man drinks so much that his job suffers, we fire him. I don't see how you can be of any help to us for, as you see, we don't have any alcoholic problem." This same company spends millions for research every year. Their cost of production is figured to a fine decimal point. They have recreational facilities. There is company insurance. There is a real interest, both humanitarian and business, in the well-being of employees. But alcoholism - well, they just don't believe they have it.
Perhaps this is a typical attitude. We, who have collectively seen a great deal of business life, at least from the alcoholic angle, had to smile at this gentleman's sincere opinion. He might be shocked if he knew how much alcoholism is costing his organization a year. That company may harbor many actual or potential alcoholics. We believe that managers of large enterprises often have little idea how prevalent this problem is. Even if you feel your organization has no alcoholic problem, it might pay to take another look down the line. You may make some interesting discoveries.
Of course, this chapter refers to alcoholics, sick people, deranged men. What our friend, the vice president, had in mind was the habitual or whoopee drinker. As to them, his policy is undoubtedly sound, but he did not distinguish between such people and the alcoholic.
It is not to be expected that an alcoholic employee will receive a disproportionate amount of time and attention. He should not be made a favorite. The right kind of man, the kind who recovers, will not want this sort of thing. He will not impose. Far from it. He will work like the devil and thank you to his dying day.
Today I own a little company. There are two alcoholic employees, who produce as much as five normal salesmen. But why not? They have a new attitude, and they have been saved from a living death. I have enjoyed every moment spent in getting them straightened out.
Last edited by Karl R on Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Karl R
Forums Old Timer

Lions Den

Postby KB » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:59 pm

:D
i learned through the Holidays if you are noit a lion tamer stay out of the lions den. Thanksgiving and Christmas will be th efirst time I am sober. I am grateful for my family and I am making them happy. I feel happy for the first time in years. Just wanted to share.
KB
Forums Enthusiast

Postby avaneesh912 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:16 am

I always had this question dangling in my mind. How do I make amends to the firms we work for?

Being effective in my current role is one of them but that is what a normal person would do. Recently I have been helping, walking thru the steps a few colleagues of mine. With another ex-colleague, tried to help him but he wouldn't take it. Heard recently he came to work drunk. I initiated a dialogue with my ex-boss about me being an alcoholic and the solution to recover from it. Emailed her the Chapter to Employees. Again heard that he has been admitted into an hospital for "ulcers".

Finally I realize that GOD will enable us to pay back as long as we work for it. Sometimes quickly and sometimes sloooooowly.....
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby martin08 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:37 am

There are some creative ways to make ammends to companies that we have worked for. Avaneesh has just given a good example!

One of my ammends to a company that no longer was in business also needed some creative intuition. I had taken many company items home during my stint with them, little things, but I guessed they added up to $200 or more.

So I did some research on some local charities that the company used to support and anonymously donated my $200 to the United Way Youth Activities. AND, I stopped taking things from my present workplace, even though I own it!
martin08
Forums Long Timer

Re: 12/22/08 BB To employees pp 148-150 (an new attitude)

Postby leejosepho » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:47 pm

It is not to be expected that an alcoholic employee will receive a disproportionate amount of time and attention. He should not be made a favorite. The right kind of man, the kind who recovers, will not want this sort of thing. He will not impose. Far from it. He will work like the devil and thank you to his dying day.

My own experience has not been that dramatic in a single location, but it is certainly true overall. Rather than continuing to see employers as potential threats in my own life, I have discovered the joy of at least trying to be a blessing in theirs.
=======================
"We A.A.s do not *stay* away from drinking [one day at a
time] -- we *grow* away from drinking [one day at a time]."
("Lois Remembers", page 168, quoting Bill, emphasis added)
=======================
leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Return to Big Book Study