12/12/08 BB The fam aft. pp 132-134 (happy, joyous, and free

The book Alcoholics Anonymous, aka The Big Book, is the basic text for the AA program of sobriety. "Alcoholics Anonymous" Copyright 2012 AAWS, Inc. All Rights, Reserved. Short excerpts used by permission of AAWS

12/12/08 BB The fam aft. pp 132-134 (happy, joyous, and free

Postby Karl R » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:13 am

Good Morning,

Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace.
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
Where there is injury, pardon;
Where there is doubt, faith;
Where there is despair, hope;
Where there is darkness, light;
And where there is sadness, joy.

O, Divine Master, grant that I may not
so much seek to be consoled, as to console;
To be understood, as to understand;
To be loved, as to love.

For it is in giving that we receive.
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned.
And it is in dying to self that we are born to eternal life.

Yesterday's reading continued to speak of balance and the profound changes in our lives and the lives of the world around us.

Today's text (below in red)...what can I say. Not very long ago I came across this line "We are sure God wants us to be happy, joyous, and free"
That was a great realization.

Anyone care to share ES and H on any sober topic?

Karl

We have been speaking to you of serious, sometimes tragic things. We have been dealing with alcohol in its worst aspect. But we aren't a glum lot. If newcomers could see no joy or fun in our existence, they wouldn't want it. We absolutely insist on enjoying life. We try not to indulge in cynicism over the state of the nations, nor do we carry the world's troubles on our shoulders. When we see a man sinking into the mire that is alcoholism, we give him first aid and place what we have at his disposal. For his sake, we do recount and almost relive the horrors of our past. But those of us who have tried to shoulder the entire burden and trouble of others find we are soon overcome by them.
So we think cheerfulness and laughter make for usefulness. Outsiders are sometimes shocked when we burst into merriment over a seemingly tragic experience out of the past. But why shouldn't we laugh? We have recovered, and have been given the power to help others.
Everybody knows that those in bad health, and those who seldom play, do not laugh much. So let each family play together or separately, as much as their circumstances warrant. We are sure God wants us to be happy, joyous, and free. We cannot subscribe to the belief that this life is a vale of tears, though it once was just that for many of us. But it is clear that we made our own misery. God didn't do it. Avoid then, the deliberate manufacture of misery, but if trouble comes, cheerfully capitalize it as an opportunity to demonstrate His omnipotence.
Now about health: A body badly burned by alcohol does not often recover overnight nor do twisted thinking and depression vanish in a twinkling. We are convinced that a spiritual mode of living is a most powerful health restorative. We, who have recovered from serious drinking, are miracles of mental health. But we have seen remarkable transformations in our bodies. Hardly one of our crowd now shows any mark of dissipation.
But this does not mean that we disregard human health measures. God has abundantly supplied this world with fine doctors, psychologists, and practitioners of various kinds. Do not hesitate to take your health problems to such persons. Most of them give freely of themselves, that their fellows may enjoy sound minds and bodies. Try to remember that though God has wrought miracles among us, we should never belittle a good doctor or psychiatrist. Their services are often indispensable in treating a newcomer and in following his case afterward.
One of the many doctors who had the opportunity of reading this book in manuscript form told us that the use of sweets was often helpful, of course depending upon a doctor's advice. He thought all alcoholics should constantly have chocolate available for its quick energy value at times of fatigue. He added that occasionally in the night a vague craving arose which would be satisfied by candy. Many of us have noticed a tendency to eat sweets and have found this practice beneficial.
Last edited by Karl R on Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Karl R
Forums Old Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:25 am

Its so true. Its a great pleasure to see people "getting the message" and working the steps and having a spiritual awakening and then carry the power to the meetings and all around their life and then start helping the others. And to see the changes within me, can't believe that I could handle certain situation at ease. Its all due to the power we get connected to working the steps.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Oliver » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:33 am

One of the great gifts of the programme for me has been the ability to laugh at myself - not taking myself so damn seriously.
Oliver
"In exchange for bottle and hangover, I have been given the keys to the kingdom."
Oliver
Forums Old Timer

Thank you Karl

Postby KB » Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:25 pm

Your posting was very helpfu to me today. I am the new bee in the AA world and yes you can be happy and enjoy without drinking. KB

My status as a member is pending what does that mean? I have been trying to find the times of the meetings and I lost that information again.
KB
Forums Enthusiast

We recover by the steps we take and not by the meetings we m

Postby KB » Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:28 pm

We recover by the steps we take and not by the meetings we make This has become my motto. It is so true and having my sister as a sponser has helped me alot.
KB
Forums Enthusiast

Re: 12/12/08 BB The fam aft. pp 132-134 (happy, joyous, and

Postby leejosepho » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:55 pm

...serious, sometimes tragic things...[drinking/alcoholism] in its worst aspect. But we aren't a glum lot. If newcomers could see no joy or fun in our existence, they wouldn't want it. We absolutely insist on enjoying life.

That was difficult for me in the beginning, and like I heard someone mention yesterday, recovery and life are not always about just giggles and grins. But then as shared:

We try not to indulge in cynicism over the state of the nations, nor do we carry the world's troubles on our shoulders.

Early A.A. was an off-shoot from a religious fellowship hoping to change the world, but we just do this:

When we see a man sinking into the mire that is alcoholism, we give him first aid and place what we have at his disposal...recount and almost relive the horrors of our past. But...

..Spammer change of thought...

...those of us who have tried to shoulder the entire burden and trouble of others find we are soon overcome by them.

So we think cheerfulness and laughter make for usefulness. Outsiders are sometimes shocked when we burst into merriment over a seemingly tragic experience out of the past. But why shouldn't we laugh? We have recovered, and have been given the power to help others.

We carry the message, not the mess!

Some of the most-inspiring speakers I have heard in A.A. seem to me to do that well. They can take us back to remember and to identify for the newcomer, then lead us out of there and take us through the Steps where a hearty laugh can often both recognize and help us find release from our spiritual foolishness and sickness that had been killing us.
=======================
"We A.A.s do not *stay* away from drinking [one day at a
time] -- we *grow* away from drinking [one day at a time]."
("Lois Remembers", page 168, quoting Bill, emphasis added)
=======================
leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Postby Noels » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:49 am

Wow, what a powerful message and last responded on in 2015. Definitely time to dust this one off and bring out the closet again.
Laughter heals and that's a fact. Try for yourself - where there are a few people in a confined space - on a train, a bus, waiting in line at the stores - just burst out laughing and carry on laughing for about 3 minutes. You'll see that most people around you will be laughing also. Whether it be because they think you're kookoo - possibly but who cares? In those 3 minutes you've changed many lives without them even knowing it :D Laugh and the world will laugh with you :D (smiling is toooooo silent :lol: )
mwah xxx
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby PaigeB » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:05 am

Laugh therapy, laugh yoga - serious studies! :lol: I can actually see where this works. My home group is always laughing. But I have seen videos of this laugh therapy and it is hard to not laugh! =biggrin

Oh were we supposed to be talking about the BB Study? :roll: :lol:
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Noels » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:15 am

:lol: love ya Page :lol: Mwah xxxxxxxxxxx
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Return to Big Book Study