A vision for you

The book Alcoholics Anonymous, aka The Big Book, is the basic text for the AA program of sobriety. "Alcoholics Anonymous" Copyright 2012 AAWS, Inc. All Rights, Reserved. Short excerpts used by permission of AAWS

A vision for you

Postby keithd » Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:04 am

(pg. 152) I know I must get along without liquor, but how can I? Have you a sufficient substitute?"

Yes, there is a substitute and it is vastly more than that. It is a fellowship in Alcoholics Anonymous. There you will find release from care, boredom and worry. Your imagination will be fired. Life will mean something at last. The most satisfactory years of your existence lie ahead. Thus we find the fellowship, and so will you
That frist year i put up all my music(i would play music and drink) did not go to stores i used to go to (walk in coolers) and went to as many meetings as i could and was on here all the time. Spent my time reading the big book and going through the 12 steps. No one suggested i do that,but i wanted a way out so bad i was willing to do what ever. I felt so out of place at the meetings i could not talk to the group. But i would show up before the meeting and talk to certain people. Hell i did not have much to say anyway because i only knew how to stay drunk not sober. Made a group my home group and found friends. We go out to eat, a few of us go fishing and i even have people over to the house. (the last part of my drinking was alone) Was it necessary? i don't know,but i have only had to pick up that one white chip and the four hideous horsemen from the page before have not been back.
keithd
Forums Contributor

Return to Big Book Study