Welcome

The book Alcoholics Anonymous, aka The Big Book, is the basic text for the AA program of sobriety. "Alcoholics Anonymous" Copyright 2012 AAWS, Inc. All Rights, Reserved. Short excerpts used by permission of AAWS

Welcome

Postby stephbridget » Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:25 am

Welcome everyone new to the forums. Feel free to use this forum for any questions you might have or to discuss anything related to the Big Book.

Love
Steph
Focus on the Now...
stephbridget
Forums Old Timer

Re: Welcome

Postby pabscat » Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:30 pm

why is it that many big book enthuisiasts love to tell us that the only important part of the book is the first 164 pages, if this is so why the hell dont we get rid of the rest? the forwords to the first and second and third editions, doctors opinion and in some enlightened circles over here Bills story, then the all the stuff after page 164? some here think that the 12 steps and 12 traditions an irrelavence Why? now dont take me wrong i do love to read the Big Book and attend a Big Book Meeting but i get the impression that there is an elitist superiority from some AAs what do you lot think?
Pablito
pabscat
Forums Enthusiast

Postby stephbridget » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:56 pm

I read the BB when working the steps. I also enjoy the stories. I do not read it daily, but do have one. GOD and FAITH keep me sober. In regards to what is important in AA--I take what I can and leave what I feel is negative. People cross our paths with many opinions but I think most agree, no human alone could have kept them sober. We relate to drinking not what is and is not important to just one person.
Focus on the Now...
stephbridget
Forums Old Timer

Postby SteveC » Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:48 pm

Hi Pablito!

The Preface, the forwards, the Doctors opinion and the first 164 pages are the program of AA. The stories in the back are a bonus read, telling us how many others stayed sober. I always tell the guys I sponsor to start reading with the table of contents and then read through to pg. 164. I tell them they can read the stories whenever they like. But I feel the real "Meat" of the book is from the Preface to pg 164.

Hugs!

Steve
Steven M. Clapper
Great Falls, Montana, USA

Serenity is not absence of the storm,
But peace within the storm.
SteveC
Forums Contributor

Postby fizzyh2o » Thu May 11, 2006 2:44 pm

for Pablito: "many big book enthuisiasts love to tell us that the only important part of the book is the first 164 pages"

I think this is because they like to talk about what helped them. There are a lot of them for which doing the steps "the way their laid out" was a matter of life or death. I did them that way in the eighties, in Hyannis. I didn't know any better! I was doing a "study" and before I knew it, I was taking the steps! ;) ). I also say that that's what worked for me.

Pardon the icons, My eight year old daughter is helping me finish this. Take it easy, me.
If you have decided you want what we have and are willing to go to any length to get it then you are ready to take certain steps. At some of these we balked, we thought we could find an easier, softer way....But we could not!
fizzyh2o
Forums Newcomer

Postby missmm » Wed May 17, 2006 1:47 pm

Hi all,

I have just started to go to a "Step-Study" meeting and I found it very helpful for my soberiety....BUT....I have been told by some AA's that this particular meeting isn't structured, that is just a gab session so to speak. I don't understand. I felt we talked about the current step and how we saw ourselves in the pages and what we did to better ourselves. I felt the room was focused on the step and everyone who spoke, spoke on the step only. If this is not structured then I don't know what is. Am I missing something here?
missmm
missmm
Forums Enthusiast

Postby tracy » Wed May 17, 2006 2:15 pm

Hi missmm,

If I may make a suggestion....ask them what meetings they go to and what meetings they would suggest. Don't stop going to your step-study though. Maybe just check out the one's they recommend. No meeting is better or worse. Just look for people who speak and live in the solution (the bb, 12x12, service manual, etc...) To me "structure", "group therapy", "sober", "not sober" meetings are all titles or judgements put on by someone else. The meeting(s) I attend have been called many things by many people. It's basically a group of people working out of the big book, working with others, and very active in service. To me it doesn't matter what others call my homegroup - it works with me.

Hope that helps.

Take Care
Tracy F
tracy
Forums Enthusiast

Postby missmm » Wed May 17, 2006 8:01 pm

Thank you,

I enjoy this meeting and I thought the whole idea of AA was one drunk talking to another, I have to start listening to my heart and gut when it comes to meetings and not listening to negatives....there are pluses and minuses in all things, meetings included. Thank you again for your input.
missmm
missmm
Forums Enthusiast

Return to Big Book Study