Step One

The book Alcoholics Anonymous, aka The Big Book, is the basic text for the AA program of sobriety. "Alcoholics Anonymous" Copyright 2012 AAWS, Inc. All Rights, Reserved. Short excerpts used by permission of AAWS

Step One

Postby stephbridget » Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:18 am

Since there are a lot of newcomers to the forum, I am going to repost Step One as the topic for discussion.

My sponsor suggested me write down and journal as far back as I could remember in terms of when I started drinking and how my life had been unmanageable. I figured that I would try her suggestion and am glad I did. I thought " Oh sure just a page or two, but had alot more". It helped me to see how my life was unmanageable and her suggestion truly helped me to see the reality of my alcoholism.

Please feel free to share your experience, strength and hope on Step One or anything related.

Hugs,
Steph
Focus on the Now...
stephbridget
Forums Old Timer

Re: Step One

Postby keithd » Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:05 am

We admitted we were powerless over alcohol - that our lives had become unmanageable"
I knew i was alcoholic for years and accepted it,and all the things that went along with it(why do bad things always happen to me) Then my drinking could not fix the pain of living anymore. For the frist time i could see the drink was part of the problem not the solution. I tried to stop but found i could not. The thing i used to controll my life was now in controll of me Damm Can't drink,can't stop (I was POWERLESS over ALCOHOL) The doctor's opinion in the big book sure did help me. I'm not this,i'm not that,i'm just a drunk
keithd
Forums Contributor

Postby Jim 725 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:35 am

Many years ago Father Ralph P. spoke of how each Step is the action of the Step before it. In other words, Step One is meaningless without Step Two, which has no value without Step Three, etc. Like Keith, I accepted my alcoholism long before I did anything about it, because I didn't know of any other way.
Thank God A.A. found me before the experts came along who knew more than the founders. My sponsor simply asked me if I wanted to do something about my drinking--I didn't have to write an essay to convince him I was alcoholic. Of course, that was back in prehistoric times, when a sponsor was someone who "Laid out the kit of spiritual tools for his inspection." (Page 95) We weren't required to make any lists until we got to Step Four.
Jim S.
Jim 725

Postby akasha » Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:53 am

"We admitted we were powerless over alcohol - that our lives had become unmanageable"

For me it was when I realised that my entire day revolved around getting drunk and or high, I honestly didnt care which, as long as I was comfortably numb. One day I woke up and the house was empty, my boyfriend and my son were at the store, I seriously thought that they had left me because of something I said. When they got home I was very upset and my boyfriend asked me what was wrong, thats when I spilled the beans. He had no clue that I was using and drinking up until that point. He took me to my first AA meeting the next day. The day after that he moved to Chicago :(

I didnt want to go to meetings, I didnt think I was one of you, but at the meeting I heard some things that sounded familiar and I started to relate to alot of the things I was hearing, so I kept coming back, despite the fact that I "wasnt an alcoholic", and then someone asked me if I had a copy of the Big Book...I had no clue what he was talking about. He bought me my Big Book and the 12 and 12 book. I opened up the 12/12 book and read the first chapter (1st step) I couldnt believe that it described me to a tee. That was when I knew that I was in the right place, that was when I also took my 2nd step. I dropped right to my knees and prayed, I didnt know who I was praying to, but I knew there was something bigger than myself and I felt so humbled by that.
akasha
Forums Newcomer

Postby curtis s » Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:56 pm

Thanks Akasha,

We also have a section on the steps and please feel free to post on the steps. But this is a good topic anywhere. I liked your description of just not thinking that you were one of us and then reading about yourself in the book....

For me it was different. I went to several meetings over the course of several weeks thinking that although I was not an alcoholic that you had to let me come to meetings because I didn't want to drink anymore. One night it just sort of came to me that I had tried and failed to stop so many times and if going to AA was neccesary for me to stop drinking then I probably was an alcoholic after all. Simultaneously came the realization that it really didn't matter if I was an alcoholic as long as I stayed sober. Later on I was to understand that actually it did matter because I have that alcholic personality and that I was going to need a lot of help in the form of the steps, the fellowship, the structure, and a bunch of other stuff, just to cope with life without drinking. But that came later.

Curt
"What a long strange trip it's been."
curtis s
Forums Long Timer

Postby stephbridget » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:54 am

Tommy,
I am glad you are here with us.

Hugs,
Stephanie in TX
Focus on the Now...
stephbridget
Forums Old Timer

Postby Lori M » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:38 pm

Hi Steph, I'm a newbie and I like the idea of a journal but don't know where to start etc. can U elaborate a little for me?
Hugs and smiles!
Lori
Lori M
Forums Enthusiast

Return to Big Book Study