Big Book

The book Alcoholics Anonymous, aka The Big Book, is the basic text for the AA program of sobriety. "Alcoholics Anonymous" Copyright 2012 AAWS, Inc. All Rights, Reserved. Short excerpts used by permission of AAWS

Big Book

Postby stephbridget » Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:17 am

Instead of posting another step this week, I am going to just say share what you want or feel in regards to the BIG BOOK or your sobriety.

Hugs!
Focus on the Now...
stephbridget
Forums Old Timer

Re: Big Book

Postby Carl » Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:06 pm

Hello, Carl P here. To be quite honest, the Big Book is sometimes difficult to read.

currently, I have to re-read the same paragraph over a dozen times before I stay in the moment.

ever paragraph I read causes my mind to drift to some memory of past drinking, or future dreams of sobriety granjure.

In time, I hope I can focus better, and get a deeper meaning out of the readings, than just the words.
"Life is like a mountain Railroad" amazing rythem aces
Carl
Forums Enthusiast

Postby PamW » Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:30 pm

Hey Carl,
When my mind did that, I learned to write down what came drifting into my head. God and I had a bit of a deal it seemed. If I would write stuff down he would give me a days reprieve from the stuff driving me insane (2nd step).
AND low and behold before long I had done my fourth step.
Lawdy be---I didn't even see it comin'
Hugs and a smile,
PamW :D

<small>[ 02-20-2006, 06:18 AM: Message edited by: PamW ]</small>
PamW
Forums Enthusiast

Postby SteveC » Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:36 pm

Hey Carl!

Hang in there partner! I had the same problem in the beginning. The longer I was sober & the more meetings I went to & The more I talked with my sponsor, the clearer things became. Gotta remember, the Big Book was written in 1939 and the manner of speech has changed since then. Just keep at it & you'll soon get the hang of it.

Hugs!
Steven M. Clapper
Great Falls, Montana, USA

Serenity is not absence of the storm,
But peace within the storm.
SteveC
Forums Contributor

Postby stephbridget » Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:27 am

Hey Carl,
I am a young one lol or so they say. The BB is very hard to just read. I find it helpful to get what I am able to out of it and ask questions. It has helped for me to keep it simple and not overanalyze. It would have taken me 5 years :) to interpret the whole book.
Hugs
Focus on the Now...
stephbridget
Forums Old Timer

Postby DELETED » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:14 am

DELETED
DELETED

Postby trent » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:45 am

I got my first Big Book from a treatment center. I was 21 years old. I took it into the bathtub with me and read up to the stories. I remember really being in awe of how much I could relate to the description of the alcoholic in the first couple chapters. It fit me so well. It was, in a lot of ways, a relief to me. It explained a lot. One of the parts that really got me was: "He does absurd, incredible, tragic things while drinking. He is a real Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde." That was me.

The problem was at that time I still thought I could control it, to fight it out with it. I was still young, I could still get away with. Oh, and one of the thoughts that really helped me keep going was thinking that if I could get my other problems taken care of I would not be like I was.

I did not understand or want the solution offered in the book.

After that I found being an alcoholic could be used as an excuse for some of my actions. But I could not fully concede to my innermost self.

At 24, still young but worse off then at 22, I got to a point where the light finally went off and I realized I really could not stop or control it and, somehow, I was able to fully concede. It was a turning point. I love this passage in the BB: "We were in a position where life was becoming impossible, and if we had passed into the region from which there is no return through human aid, we had but two alternatives: One was to go on to the bitter end, blotting out the consciousness of our intolerable situation as best we could; and the other, to accept spiritual help. This we did because we honestly wanted to, and were willing to make the effort."

I am glad I took the 2nd option. But struggled even after that light went off. At times in my first year of sobriety that first option could seem more appealing. I even threw my Big Book away, then changed my mind and had to go buy a new one.

I have a lot of favorite passages in the Big Book. Being young and getting sober in the 90's I could relate to it nonetheless. I still do. I can relate to a book written in the 30's by a bunch of ex-drunk old farts. But they knew what they were talking about. It has so many answers in it.
trent
Forums Enthusiast

Postby tracy » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:29 am

I too got the book in the treatment center I was at. Being 19 I wasn't too interested in it. I looked at it and thought...blue, really big, and no pictures - no thanks! I did end up staying sober though it wasn't a very happy sobriety. Looking at it now it wasn't happy, but I thought I was. Anyway, I turned to the book and sponsorship (as suggested) and found a new way of life.

Cars come with and owners manual - sobriety does to!

The Big Book is my owners manual on life. The 1st three words on page 112 will contain the answer to any question I may have.

Warmest Wishes
Tracy F
tracy
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Carl » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:02 am

thanks everyone, Tracey that was tricky, I actually had to pull my book out to read those three words.lol

when I got the F2F meeting, I am going to use that.lol
"Life is like a mountain Railroad" amazing rythem aces
Carl
Forums Enthusiast

Return to Big Book Study