Step One

The book Alcoholics Anonymous, aka The Big Book, is the basic text for the AA program of sobriety. "Alcoholics Anonymous" Copyright 2012 AAWS, Inc. All Rights, Reserved. Short excerpts used by permission of AAWS

Step One

Postby stephbridget » Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:56 am

Since there are a lot of newcomers to the forum, I am going to put Step One as the topic for discussion.

My sponsor suggested me write down and journal as far back as I could remember in terms of when I started drinking and how my life had been unmanageable. I figured that I would try her suggestion and am glad I did. I thought " Oh sure just a page or two, but had alot more". It helped me to see how my life was unmanageable and her suggestion truly helped me to see the reality of my alcoholism.

Please feel free to share your experience, strength and hope on Step One or anything related.

Hugs,
Steph
Focus on the Now...
stephbridget
Forums Old Timer

Re: Step One

Postby veralex » Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:46 am

Step 1: We admitted we were powerless over alcohol--that our lives had become unmanageable.

I used to be a control freak. And I thought I had everything under control, even when I was drinking.
Boy, was I wrong. It was all a big mess.
The things I lost while drinking: health, money, friends, family, almost work.
But most of all, I lost my own self-esteem, self-confidance, trust in myself, my own self. That is the most awful thing to loose. If you loose yourself, there is nothing more left. In return I got anger, doubt, despair, misery, tears, devestation, insanity.
And it was only after I lost it all, that I reached out for help, that I hit bottom and cried for help. Because I had to admit that this was something I couldn't do on my own. My way didn't work.
And I could not believe that this was all for me, there had to be more in life than the things that I was experiencing. This couldn't be it.
And you know what, once I sobered up and started listening to what AA has to offer, I saw that there is much more in life than alcohol and misery.

Vera
I'm done drinking
veralex
Forums Contributor

Postby Flyboy » Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:03 pm

I do a lot of writing myself and I reviewing such writing makes it embarrassingly clear that I am powerless over ETOH and that my life is unmanageable.

I am reluctant to put it in these terms but, you know, when I live sober, I accomplish amazing things in my life. When I drink, I get physically, morally, mentally, emotionally and financially bankrupt. Literally. No cliches here.

The truth of having to find your true bottom to find success step one is painfully true for me.

-A
Flyboy
Forums Enthusiast

Postby kmoen3 » Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:21 am

I have to agree that if I don't live the program and accept that I'm powerless over my alochol and people,place,things and situations then I will be ok. my life was unmangeable while I was drinking. I also do alot of journaling and writing down how I feel. That is what has helped me. My sponsor also suggested to go back as far as I could remeber and that was pretty hard and am still currently doing so.I hate looking at the people that I have hurt such as my son and parents. I want to try and get my self-esteem back and find out who I really am while I'm sober and have a better life. Babygirl
Kelly
kmoen3
Forums Enthusiast

Postby stephbridget » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:01 pm

One day at a time. Thank you all for sharing on Step One :)
Focus on the Now...
stephbridget
Forums Old Timer

Postby jordald » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:43 am

Step One is probably the most important of the tweleve because if you forget it you will be in trouble. I had 11 years of sobriety under my belt, then one day, for whatever the reason was, I can't imagine what, I relapsed. The reason was that I had forgotten the first step. I am powerless against alcohol. But my own arrogance led me to believe that I could drink again without any problems. Boy was I wrong. I had stopped going to meetings and that was my biggest mistake. Forgetting my powerlessness over alcohol was the second mistake. I am back in the program now and I am happy that I am. Now I must never forget the first step.
jordald
Forums Newcomer

Postby tracy » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:06 am

Lot of good comments. I'll keep it short. For me step one now mean "I don't know". The Dr's opinion talks about not being able to differentiate the true from the false...my life seems the only normal one. For me that means I keep the "I know" statement out of my vocabulary and to always remember that "I don't know" - hence having a sponsor is vital.

Warmest wishes
Tracy F
tracy
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Carl » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:49 am

Step 1 for me:

I was stuck on this one for along time. I had to figure out a way to admit it, but blame it on something. So I came up with this thought.

Keeping in mind that alcohol is a battle I am trying to fight.

A young general will make mistakes., and if he does, he will lose, his will become powerless in battle, and he will not be able to manage himself.

So if I use AA to strengthen, and educate me, I will be a strong general, and be able to hold off the Alcohol army.

So being powerless, and unmanagable is a learning experiance, not one I have to repeat. unless I pick up a drink.

Does this make sense to anyone else?
"Life is like a mountain Railroad" amazing rythem aces
Carl
Forums Enthusiast

Return to Big Book Study