BBS (10/18/17) - THE DOCTORS OPINION

The book Alcoholics Anonymous, aka The Big Book, is the basic text for the AA program of sobriety. "Alcoholics Anonymous" Copyright 2012 AAWS, Inc. All Rights, Reserved. Short excerpts used by permission of AAWS

BBS (10/18/17) - THE DOCTORS OPINION

Postby odat12 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:33 am

Welcome anyone interested,

I thought an updated Big Book Study would be a welcome refresher and helpful to a newcomer like me. I appreciate the old threads however feel that a new start would be more than welcome. I figured I'd start with the Doctor's Opinion and perhaps add new threads with each new chapter or if anyone else has any ideas, please jump in.

LET THE DISCUSSION BEGIN...
odat12
Forums Enthusiast

Re: BBS (10/18/17) - THE DOCTORS OPINION

Postby Brock » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:28 pm

Thanks for starting this book study odat.

I think the doctors opinion is probably the best thing for someone thinking about joining AA to read, partly because we see that he was working with alcoholics for some time, before meeting Bill Wilson, and says Bill was “of a type I had come to regard as hopeless.” Then when Bill seemed to have recovered, and as part of his recovery was helping others, he said over one hundred had recovered as well, and that he had seen many like these, where every other method tried had failed completely. So right away we should feel the AA program is the best bet for us, because it works where other methods have failed.

He speaks about why we like drinking, the irritable and discontented feeling without it, the first drink opening up the craving, the need for something more than human power. Really explaining the problem and touching on the solution in one short chapter, then at the end, pounding home the message that every alcoholic should read the book.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby avaneesh912 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:25 pm

This one particular paragraph talks about why we drink, what happens when we don't drink and when we SUCCUMB (peculiar mental twist) to the desire then the phenomenon of Craving kicks in. This paragraph sums it all:

Unfortunately majority of the people just talk about the craving part (after we take that first drink).

Men and women drink essentially because they like the effect produced by alcohol. The sensation is so elusive that, while they admit it is injurious, they cannot after a time differentiate the true from the false. To them, their alcoholic life seems the only normal one. They are restless, irritable and discontented, unless they can again experience the sense of ease and comfort which comes at once by taking a few drinks-drinks which they see others taking with impunity. After they have succumbed to the desire again, as so many do, and the phenomenon of craving develops, they pass through the well-known stages of a spree, emerging remorseful, with a firm resolution not to drink again. This is repeated over and over, and unless this person can experience an entire psychic change there is very little hope of his recovery.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Blue Moon » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:02 pm

For me, the Dr's opinion is one of the most important parts of the book, and ought really to be Chapter 1.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby clouds » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:44 am

Evidently the entire "psychic change" is brought about by complete ego deflation.
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.
clouds
Trusted Servant

Postby positrac » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:01 am

Times have changed and yet the human condition and attraction to addictions haven't. That is why I can relate and it helped me surrender because many before me were able to recover and learn to live a different life.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby odat12 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:21 am

The part that seems to hit home with me is:

There is the type who always believe that after being entirely free from alcohol for a period of time he can take a drink without danger. There is the manic-depressive type, who is, perhaps, the least understood by his friends, and about whom a whole chapter could be written.

Has this "whole chapter" ever been written?

I'm so grateful for this program and its ability to aid my in "suddenly find[ing] [my]self easily able to control [my] desire for alcohol..."
odat12
Forums Enthusiast

Postby jenko » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:49 am

Thank God for Dr. Silkworth - a man who tirelessly gave to alcoholics and tried to help them.

The Dr's Opinion probably had the most profound affect on me than any other section of the book because it was within these pages that I realized the true nature of my condition. I had known for many years that once I started drinking something strange happened to me physically, and unlike other people who could just have one and walk away, I developed a craving that couldn't be satisfied - like an itch I couldn't be scratched enough. So even the terminology of it being an "allergy" made sense to me. And in my self-centered view, I had thought I was unique in this way - that it happened to no one but me - which was why I had always been afraid of telling someone of this strange reaction when I drank.

I could also strongly identify with the psychological component preceding the first drink ...

Men and women drink essentially because they like the effect produced by alcohol. The sensation is so elusive that, while they admit it is injurious, they cannot after a time differentiate the true from the false. To them, their alcoholic life seems the only normal one. They are restless, irritable and discontented, unless they can again experience the sense of ease and comfort which comes at once by taking a few drinks—drinks which they see others taking with impunity.

This is where the blaming came to a halt. I didn't drink because of childhood trauma or cheating spouses. I didn't drink because I had a bad day on the job or because I deserved a reward for a job well done. If I honestly asked myself why I drank it was because I liked the effects. Everything else was just an excuse, but how very believable those excuses could be in the moment! They seemed entirely real. And I could not imagine life without alcohol - drinking was the only way I knew to feel "normal." Otherwise, I was restless, irritable, discontent, or in my own jargon - nervous, angry, depressed, distracted, anxious, etc.

The part where it says we need a complete psychic change also set off a lightbulb for me. I had sat in many meetings and heard the steps read. I just wasn't sure what the point was. They didn't seem a very practical way to stop me from drinking. In fact, steps 4 and 5 would probably make me drink. But at this point in the reading, I knew the psychic change had to do with the steps - and I became more open and willing to trying them.

The very last paragraph was also profound for me, maybe because I started reading the book as a way to find fault in it? So I could just dismiss it? But what I had actually found was a mirror.

I earnestly advise every alcoholic to read this book through, and though perhaps he came to scoff, he may remain to pray.
Jennifer K. :)
jenko
Forums Enthusiast

Return to Big Book Study