Big Book Meeting's Readings

The book Alcoholics Anonymous, aka The Big Book, is the basic text for the AA program of sobriety. "Alcoholics Anonymous" Copyright 2012 AAWS, Inc. All Rights, Reserved. Short excerpts used by permission of AAWS

Re: Big Book Meeting's Readings

Postby D'oh » Sun May 14, 2017 2:56 pm

Where I got sober (Kansas City) almost all the meetings were bb or 12x12; no open discussion at all. So I read the book alot and heard it commented on alot.

Yes this Meeting is a BB Meeting. But until now, it has just read the Personal Stories. (well and How it Works)
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Postby Spirit Flower » Sun May 14, 2017 3:37 pm

We almost never read personal stories except Dr Alcoholic Addict. That might be called something different now.
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Trusted Servant

Postby PaigeB » Sun May 14, 2017 5:13 pm

Spirit Flower wrote:We almost never read personal stories except Dr Alcoholic Addict. That might be called something different now.

Yeah it is now "Acceptance is the Answer".
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby avaneesh912 » Sun May 14, 2017 7:15 pm

But until now, it has just read the Personal Stories. (well and How it Works)

Most big book study around where I live only do till Dr Bobs Nightmare. In the old home group, they used to allow the person who runs the study to pick a story of his choice if we have a fifth Monday. I am really not sure how you could not have the recovery section of the book when we say its a big book meeting. The chapters There is a solution, More About alcoholism along with bill story and Doctors Opinion so vital to get across the 3 components of the disease. I am not sure if the stories at the back of the book dwell on the concepts to that extent.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby D'oh » Sun May 14, 2017 7:45 pm

Every Story in the back of the Book, has the basic theme of "What it was Like, What Happened, and What it is Like Now" on a individual's basis.
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Mon May 15, 2017 4:05 am

Agree. If you take the Car Salesman story, there are is certain message they try to convey. You will see all three elements of the disease (spiritual malady, mental/insanity, then the last part the craving). And tell us up-front, what happens if we fail to enlarge our spiritual life. The peculiar mental twist concept could be transmitted to the newcomer with ease with those stories.Same is the case with Fred the accountant story. Where he fails to admit that he is an alcoholic.

There are key paragraphs in the chapter "There is a solution" where they only talk about the mind being the main problem. They back it up with those stories in the chapter more about alcoholism. What i see is, most read the doctors opinion and just stuck with the idea of powerlessness AFTER we take a drink.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Bob M » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:32 am

Just joined today and this is my first chat room. So far it seems like a competition to see whos right and wrong regarding the big book. Guess I'll move on.
Bob M
Forums Newcomer

Postby avaneesh912 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:27 pm

Code: Select all
 So far it seems like a competition to see whos right and wrong regarding the big book. Guess I'll move on.

So you couldn't resist opinining about the thread? Thats the power of the egoic mind. If you had noticed, it was civilized exchange. Nobody was eating each others out.
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Duke » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:51 pm

avaneesh912 wrote:
Code: Select all
 So far it seems like a competition to see whos right and wrong regarding the big book. Guess I'll move on.

So you couldn't resist opinining about the thread? Thats the power of the egoic mind. If you had noticed, it was civilized exchange. Nobody was eating each others out.

And it's not for you when you can't resist opining about his opinion? Seriously, I'm getting lost in the opinions about what others say and do.
"If you are humble nothing will touch you, neither praise nor disgrace, because you know what you are.", Mother Teresa
Duke
Forums Old Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:34 pm

I'm getting lost in the opinions about what others say and do.

Simply ignore.
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Duke » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:06 pm

avaneesh912 wrote:
I'm getting lost in the opinions about what others say and do.

Simply ignore.

Okay, but seriously, why does your opinion about his opinion qualify for different criteria? I really don't get it. I'd like an answer. Don't worry, I know how to ignore the meaningless banter, but I don't understand how you think jumping in and pointing out that you believe someone else's comment is motivated by the "egoic (?)" mind is helpful to anyone.

I'm done. Answer or not. It's up to you.
"If you are humble nothing will touch you, neither praise nor disgrace, because you know what you are.", Mother Teresa
Duke
Forums Old Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:23 pm

When I said egoic mind, it included my mind too. It gets caught up in the drama. This mind had to comment about very thing it didn't like. It could have appreciated the civilized exchange about the "big book study structure" but it didn't, it only saw something negative. Perhaps people come in with a stance and get offended. Its all about indentification with the mind. The ego.
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Previous

Return to Big Book Study