Bills Story

The book Alcoholics Anonymous, aka The Big Book, is the basic text for the AA program of sobriety. "Alcoholics Anonymous" Copyright 2012 AAWS, Inc. All Rights, Reserved. Short excerpts used by permission of AAWS

Bills Story

Postby avaneesh912 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:28 am

I was revisiting Bills Story and the first paragraph I read, I had a different perspective:
War fever ran high in the New England town to which we new, young officers from Plattsburg were assigned, and we were flattered when the first citizens took us to their homes, making us feel heroic. Here was love, applause, war; moments sublime with intervals hilarious. I was part of life at last, and in the midst of the excitement I discovered liquor. I forgot the strong warnings and the prejudices of my people concerning drink. In time we sailed for "Over There." I was very lonely and again turned to alcohol.

We landed in England. I visited Winchester Cathedral. Much moved, I wandered outside. My attention was caught by a doggerel on an old tombstone:

So first thing I notice was how Bill says, he discovered liquor in the midst of excitement. But then when he was lonely he turns to alcohol. Right from the start he illustrates through his story that the alcoholic drinks no matter what.

And then this statement "Much moved, I wandered outside". . He later on revisits this experience when he is having that internal dialog about the God concepts and how "His presence had been blotted out by worldly clamors. He talks about his ambitions and that drive for success, prove to the world that he his someone.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Re: Bills Story

Postby positrac » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:56 pm

Yes I drank and I am that alcoholic who needed to fit in in order to have recognition. No matter how may ties we as a team achieved our goals in the field I still needed to prove myself with the drink. I had gotten sober and 5 years later I was in this dream land called Somalia and I had to kill 3 locals trying to ice me and the odd thing was I didn't need to drink to fit in because I learned I could be ok in my skin.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby Mike O » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:42 am

I identify.
Like the late Charles Bukowski, when good things happened I drank to celebrate, when bad things happened I drank to drown my sorrows, when nothing at all happened I drank to make something happen. I drank.
Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Postby positrac » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:29 pm

Mike O wrote:I identify.
Like the late Charles Bukowski, when good things happened I drank to celebrate, when bad things happened I drank to drown my sorrows, when nothing at all happened I drank to make something happen. I drank.

Cheers mate.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Return to Big Book Study