BB

The book Alcoholics Anonymous, aka The Big Book, is the basic text for the AA program of sobriety. "Alcoholics Anonymous" Copyright 2012 AAWS, Inc. All Rights, Reserved. Short excerpts used by permission of AAWS

BB

Postby medic63 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:20 am

BB PG XXVI
"The doctors theory that we have an allergy to alcohol interest us."

When I was new to AA I did not believe that I had an allergy to alcohol. I work in the heath care field and total rejected the idea.

After I was around few months sober. I started to understand what the whole "allergy" thing is about.

For me when I drink something really does happen that does not happen to a normal drinker. I can not control how much I drink and it has nothing to do with my willpower.

Today I ask new people if they can safely use alcohol every time they drink?
If the answer is no then they may have a issue.
medic63
Forums Enthusiast

Re: BB

Postby avaneesh912 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:04 am

Yes, it is true.

But, for the real problem of the alcoholic, we need to step over to "There is a solution"

These observations would be academic and pointless if our friend never took the first drink, thereby setting the terrible cycle in motion. Therefore, the main problem of the alcoholic centers in his mind, rather than in his body.

We need to see, why we are going back to that 1st drink?
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby clouds » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:40 am

medic63 wrote:BB PG XXVI
"The doctors theory that we have an allergy to alcohol interest us."

When I was new to AA I did not believe that I had an allergy to alcohol. I work in the heath care field and total rejected the idea.

After I was around few months sober. I started to understand what the whole "allergy" thing is about.

For me when I drink something really does happen that does not happen to a normal drinker. I can not control how much I drink and it has nothing to do with my willpower.

Yes, this is the first stage of recovering, because without knowing how drinking affects us and without understanding what the alcohol does to us, we may never even be interested in the solution AA offers us for our living problem! Its important to know the difference between the normal drinker and alcoholism, that is where it all starts, when we make the identification for ourselves that we are actually in the grips of this physical illness that can't be solved with our will power alone. Then we are ready for the solution in the 12 step program.
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.
clouds
Trusted Servant

Postby Tosh » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:17 pm

medic63 wrote:

I tend to use the phrase 'phenomenon of craving' at meetings, just in case someone is new to A.A.. I don't want to confuse them with A.A. terminology to early on.

When I take guys through the Big Book on a one-on-one, I'll explain the physical allergy and it's meaning then.

I'm ex-army, and just like A.A., the military has it's own language too. We used to get lessons - I kid you not - on how to speak to the public so that they'd understand us. :lol:
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby leejosepho » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:37 am

Yes, this is the first stage of recovering, because without knowing how drinking affects us and without understanding what the alcohol does to us, we may never even be interested in the solution AA offers us for our living problem! Its important to know the difference between the normal drinker and alcoholism, that is where it all starts, when we make the identification for ourselves that we are actually in the grips of this physical illness that can't be solved with our will power alone. Then we are ready for the solution in the 12 step program.

The physical part of our illness cannot be solved by anything at all, actually, and that is why the good doctor (Silkworth) says "The only relief we [doctors] have to suggest is entire abstinence." Or as any third-grader would likely know, we cannot end up drunk if we never take the first drink...and there is where many people today try to jump over the remainder of Step One -- no effective mental defense against the first drink -- by trying some kind of "Don't drink, one-day-at-a-time" plan that can ultimately only fail the real alcoholic.

From our book: "Many of us felt that we had plenty of character. There was a tremendous urge to cease forever. Yet we found it impossible. This is the baffling feature of alcoholism as we know it - this utter inability to leave it alone, no matter how great the necessity or the wish." (page 34)

Step One requires an admission of complete defeat and powerlessness over alcohol while sober, not only while drinking.
=======================
"We A.A.s do not *stay* away from drinking [one day at a
time] -- we *grow* away from drinking [one day at a time]."
("Lois Remembers", page 168, quoting Bill, emphasis added)
=======================
leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Return to Big Book Study