Promise with every step

The book Alcoholics Anonymous, aka The Big Book, is the basic text for the AA program of sobriety. "Alcoholics Anonymous" Copyright 2012 AAWS, Inc. All Rights, Reserved. Short excerpts used by permission of AAWS

Promise with every step

Postby RobC » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:07 pm

Hey everyone
I was at a big book study last night and it was mentioned that there is a promise with every step.
Anyone out there have the page numbers where these are. Im sure some I know and some are obvious. Curious if anyone has heard this before?
Rob
"This program is for people who want it, not people who need it." Page 315
RobC
Forums Enthusiast

Re: Promise with every step

Postby Robert R » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:55 pm

Last paragraph page 83, continues overleaf onto page 84. The twelve promises.
Don't know exactly where I am going but I'm on my way and it's already much better than where I've been.
Robert R
Forums Contributor

Postby RobC » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:11 am

Ok thanks. I didn't realize they were talking about the section we call the promises. For some reason I thought they were talking of others throughout the book as you go through it.
RobC
Forums Enthusiast

Postby avaneesh912 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:45 am

yes there is. you may search "Promises in the big book" you will find some sites listing all the sentences that gives us hope. They consder that promises. I mainly focus on the 3rd step, 9th and 10th step when working with others.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby RobC » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:02 am

Ok I think when it was mentioned we were at top of page 85
RobC
Forums Enthusiast

Postby avaneesh912 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:58 am

Thats the 10th step promise then:

And we have ceased fighting anything or anyone, even alcohol.
For by this time sanity will have returned. We will seldom be interested in liquor.
If tempted, we recoil from it as from a hot flame. We react sanely and normally, and we will find that this has happened automatically.
We will see that our new attitude toward liquor has been given us without any thought or effort on our part. It just comes!
That is the miracle of it. We are not fighting it, neither are we avoiding temptation.
We feel as though we had been placed in a position of neutrality safe and protected.
We have not even sworn off. Instead, the problem has been removed. It does not exist for us.
We are neither cocky nor are we afraid.

That is how we react so long as we keep in fit spiritual condition. <== Thats the key factor to keep experiencing the promises.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby RobC » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:28 am

Ok great thank you. Ive got marked the 3rd 9th and 10th.
I'll keep my eyes open for any others. Or Monday I'll have the guy read me his list, to see if im missing any.
RobC
Forums Enthusiast

Postby whipping post » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:43 am

The fifth step promises from page 75:

Once we have taken this step, withholding nothing, we are DELIGHTED. We can look the world in the eye. We can be alone at perfect peace and ease. Our fears fall from us. We begin to feel the nearness of our Creator. We may have had certain spiritual beliefs (Step 2), but now we begin to have a spiritual experience (which is as THE result of taking some actions). The feeling that the drink problem has disappeared will often come strongly. We feel we are on the Broad Highway, walking hand in hand with the Spirit of the Universe
whipping post
Forums Contributor

Postby tyg » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:26 am

Step 3 Promises:

Next, we decided that hereafter in this drama of life, God was going to be our Director. He is the Principal; we are His agents. He is the Father, and we are His children. Most good ideas are simple, and this concept was the keystone of the new and triumphant arch through which we passed to freedom. All sorts of remarkable things followed. We had a new Employer. Being all powerful, He provided what we needed, if we kept close to Him and performed His work well. Established on such a footing we became less and less interested in ourselves, our little plans and designs. More and more we became interested in seeing what we could contribute to life. As we felt new power flow in, as we enjoyed peace of mind, as we discovered we could face life successfully, as we became conscious of His presence, we began to lose our fear of today, tomorrow or the hereafter. We were reborn.
Alcoholics Anonymous p.62-63
~The secret to the AA program is the first three words on page 112~
tyg
Forums Long Timer

Postby leejosepho » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:47 am

Here is a contrast very similar to something "Charlie & Joe" used to share:

Whenever we took a couple of drinks...
1. We were amazed before we were half-way through.
2. We knew a new freedom and a new happiness.
3. We did not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it.
4. We could comprehend the word 'serenity' and know peace.
5. We believed our experience could benefit others.
6. Our feelings of uselessness and self-pity would disappear.
7. We would lose interest in selfish things and gain interest in our fellows.
8. Self-seeking would slip away.
9. Our whole attitude and outlook upon life would change.
10. Fear of people and of economic insecurity would leave us.
11. We would intuitively know how to handle situations which used to baffle us.
12. We would suddenly realize alcohol was doing for us what we could not do for ourselves.

"We have shown how we got out from under. You say, 'Yes, I'm willing. But am I to be consigned to a life where I shall be stupid, boring and glum, like some righteous people I see? I know I must get along without liquor, but how can I? Have you a sufficient substitute?'
"Yes, there is a substitute and it is vastly more than that..." (page 152)

"Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps..."

1. We were amazed before we were half-way through.
2. We came to know a new freedom and a new happiness.
3. We no longer regretted the past nor wished to shut the door on it.
4. We began to comprehend the word 'serenity' and to know peace.
5. We learned to see how our new experience could benefit others.
6. Our feelings of uselessness and self-pity began to disappear.
7. We lost interest in selfish things and gained interest in our fellows.
8. Self-seeking began slipping away.
9. Our whole attitude and outlook upon life changed.
10. Fear of people and of economic insecurity began to leave us.
11. We learned to intuitively handle situations which used to baffle us.
12. We suddenly realized God is doing for us what we could not do for ourselves.

The difference, of course, is that we are now building lives rather than destroying them and we do not have to puke it all back up and start over again in the morning.
=======================
"We A.A.s do not *stay* away from drinking [one day at a
time] -- we *grow* away from drinking [one day at a time]."
("Lois Remembers", page 168, quoting Bill, emphasis added)
=======================
leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Postby leejosepho » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:46 pm

Here are some excerpts with a promising ring to them:

"I admitted for the first time that of myself I was nothing...lost...became willing (and took the required action)...have not had a drink since." (page 13)

"...a spiritual basis of life...you need not be disconcerted." (page 44)

"As soon as we admitted the possible existence...we began to be possessed of a new sense of power and direction..." (page 46)

"If you have decided you want what we have and are willing to go to any length to get it - then you are ready to take certain steps." (page 58)
=======================
=======================
leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Postby tyg » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:54 pm

Step 4 Promises:
p. 70
We have listed and analyzed our resentments. We have begun to comprehend their futility and their fatality. We have commenced to see their terrible destructiveness. We have begun to learn tolerance, patience and good will toward all men, even our enemies, for we look on them as sick people.
p. 68
We let Him demonstrate, through us, what He can do. We ask Him to remove our fear and direct our attention to what He would have us be. At once, we commence to outgrow fear.
p. 71
We hope you are convinced now that God can remove whatever self-will has blocked you off from Him.
p. 64
1. Our liquor was but a symptom. So we had to get down to causes and conditions.
2. We searched out (find) the flaws in our make-up which caused our failure.
3. When the spiritual malady is overcome, we straighten out mentally and physically.
4. It is an effort to discover the truth about the stock-in-trade.
5. One object is to disclose damaged or unsalable goods to get rid of promptly and without regret.

Step 4 inventory process becomes a way of life and continues with our Step 10. It is a design for living without conflict, fear, resentment, anger and have love, tolerance and a kindly view towards all. We learn dependence on a HP and not on our self-will, to solve all our problems.

Step 5 Promises:

Once we have taken this step, withholding nothing, we are delighted. We can look the world in the eye. We can be alone at perfect peace and ease. Our fears fall from us. We begin to feel the nearness of our Creator. We may have had certain spiritual beliefs, but now we begin to have a spiritual experience. The feeling that the drink problem has disappeared will often come strongly. We feel we are on the Broad Highway, walking hand in hand with the Spirit of the Universe. P 75
~The secret to the AA program is the first three words on page 112~
tyg
Forums Long Timer

Postby Cactus Red » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:42 pm

That was a cool quote by Lois about grow away from drinking vs. stay away from drinking. I've not heard that and I like it. Thanks. I just got onto the online and am looking for a big book study.If any of you know of one, please let me know
Cactus Red
Forums Newcomer

Postby ann2 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:24 pm

Hi Cactus Red, welcome! :D

I use An Unofficial Guide to the Twelve Steps steps edited by Dr. Paul O. I can also recto mend the Big Book Comes Alive with Charlie and Joe which you can find tapes of at the XA speakers site ("The Lights Are On") and in transcript form all over the Internet.

Great resources.

Glad you found us :)

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby leejosepho » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:43 am

Cactus Red wrote:I just got onto the online and am looking for a big book study. If any of you know of one, please let me know

Welcome, CR, and we happen to have one with a variety of approaches right here: viewforum.php?f=31

If I might also add a suggestion: Stick with the idea of "Big Book Study" while being cautious of "Big Book Study Guide". The differences can seem quite subtle or even indiscernible at first, but most "Study Guides" I have ever found tend to be promotive of certain conclusions drawn by others where I prefer to draw my own.
=======================
=======================
leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Next

Return to Big Book Study