What's your favourite piece out of the Big Book?

The book Alcoholics Anonymous, aka The Big Book, is the basic text for the AA program of sobriety. "Alcoholics Anonymous" Copyright 2012 AAWS, Inc. All Rights, Reserved. Short excerpts used by permission of AAWS
tomsteve
Forums Contributor

Re: What's your favourite piece out of the Big Book?

Post by tomsteve » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:38 pm

We, OF Alcoholics Anonymous, are more than one hundred men and women who have recovered from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body. To show other alcoholics PRECISELY HOW WE HAVE RECOVERED is the main purpose of this book.

And we have ceased fighting anything or anyone - even alcohol. For by this time sanity will have returned. We will seldom be interested in liquor. If tempted, we recoil from it as from a hot flame. We react sanely and normally, and we will find that this has happened automatically. We will see that our new attitude toward liquor has been given us without any thought or effort on our part. It just comes! That is the miracle of it. We are not fighting it, neither are we avoiding temptation. We feel as though we had been placed in a position of neutrality - safe and protected. We have not even sworn off. Instead, the problem has been removed. It does not exist for us. We are neither cocky nor are we afraid. That is our experience. That is how we react so long as we keep in fit spiritual condition.

innermost
Forums Enthusiast

Post by innermost » Sat May 18, 2019 8:54 am

My favorite section of the Big Book is.

Almost at the bottom of page 56. 4th edition of the Book Alcoholics Anonymous.
"He stood in the Presence of Infinite Power and Love."
At that point in sobriety, when I read this line and attempted to examine and contemplate this word INFINITE connected with God, Power and Love.
I realized how small I considered everything about what I understood about God and many other things.

It's like I went from a person that thought he knew things to a person that understood I had only scratched the surface. So at about 4yrs. in sobriety things took off and expanded into the unimaginable spiritual experiences. :o
The first 164 pg. is the program!

sdsaavedra
Forums Newcomer

Post by sdsaavedra » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:37 pm

Hi folks
One of my favorite metaphors is the one about not fighting the current but instead relaxing & going with the flow.
But I can't find it!
Does anyone remember where it is?
Thanks
:-)Shawn

Brock
Forums Coordinator

Post by Brock » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:10 pm

Welcome here Shawn.

I like any advise that says don’t fight but go with the flow, and have seen this in many spiritual type books. As for the big book, I see not fighting twice in the chapter ‘into action,’ - “And we have ceased fighting anything or anyone, even alcohol….” And also - “That is the miracle of it. We are not fighting it, neither are we avoiding temptation.” Also in that chapter one of my favorites - “We relax and take it easy. We don't struggle.” These are not exactly what you mentioned, but have a similar message.

How I find these is by using a concordance, a few years ago on here, someone advised that by googling big book concordance, we could get a way to look up any word. I have a shortcut for the one from ‘serenity club,’ and it shows the sections in the book where it appears, there is also one for the 12 & 12.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."

PaigeB
Forums Old Timer

Post by PaigeB » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:51 pm

sdsaavedra wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:37 pm
Hi folks
One of my favorite metaphors is the one about not fighting the current but instead relaxing & going with the flow.
But I can't find it!
Does anyone remember where it is?
Thanks
:-)Shawn
Brock found them for you! A couple of my favorites too.

On pages 84 & 85 of the BB... "Love and Tolerance of others is our Code. We ceased fighting..."
The second is one of the 10th Step Promises! Oh how nice it is to live in those promises! "Sanity will have returned." and of course “We relax and take it easy. We don't struggle.”

Fighting mentally is just not good for effective thinking. The Fear & Flight chemicals it releases ((epinephrine (adrenaline) and norepinephrine (noradrenaline)) are not made for test taking as I once wrote a paper on in college. These chemicals had always ruled my mental state and actions! But having worked the Steps, I found what I had heretofore fought for all along - Peace.

Fighting for Peace - it does not make sense does it? :wink:
Step 6 is "AA's way of stating, the best possible attitude one can take in order to make a beginning on this lifetime job... with most of them we shall have to be content with patient improvement." 12&12 Step Six, p.65