The Doctor's Opinion and My Thoughts

The book Alcoholics Anonymous, aka The Big Book, is the basic text for the AA program of sobriety. "Alcoholics Anonymous" Copyright 2012 AAWS, Inc. All Rights, Reserved. Short excerpts used by permission of AAWS

Re: The Doctor's Opinion and My Thoughts

Postby soberon » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:23 pm

I do believe Dowling said,...".... backing away from hell." Love it that someone remembers Dowling. I am a big fan of his. When ever any one makes jokes about Catholics in meetings I like to remind people of how much Dowling, Phau and Martin have done for this program.
soberon
Forums Newcomer

Postby ann2 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:47 pm

A couple of people have given me alternate wording for that quote. I got mine from a caption of father Ed's picture in AA Comes of Age. Maybe it was misquoted there, or maybe Father Ed said it a number of times in a number of different ways. I am however pretty much understanding the general meaning, at least from my own life.

I too have huge respect for the contributions made by catholics along with all other denominations and religions and non-religions. I like Father Ed for his role as spiritual advisor to Bill W. That must have been a fantastic pair.

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby chefchip » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:46 am

Okay. This is what happens when I have too much time on my hands. I noodle around here and find really cool sh$t like this thread! So. I'm activating it again. If you haven't read the Doctor's Opinion, do so first. In my opinion, it should be required reading, anyway, it is that informative and powerful. And, there is a lot of thumping going on here. Don't say I didn't warn you! :lol:
The only constant in life is change.
chefchip
Forums Long Timer

Postby chessiesmile » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:39 am

Well, how about that! I read and reread just the doctors opinion last night.
I cant sleep, oh, heck, truthfully I don't pass out, so reading at night for hours.
I am trying to understand,every sentence, and put it into my brain.
I don't want to just read this book, I want to consume it, incorporate it into me.
It is going to be my Bible, for as long as it takes, and my other Bible (word of God) won't even mind, I am certain. (later maybe both Bibles can share time in my reading :) )
Thank God for Dr. Silkworth huh??

The phenomenon of craving is limited to this class and NEVER OCCURS in the average temperate drinker
I never really thought about it, but i guess i thought, everybody that drinks, wanted/thought about alcohol,alot, just not like me, they were just stronger, or better people that would/could "do away" with the constant nag.

and once having formed the habit and found they cannot break it, once having lost their self-confidence, their reliance upon things human

for sure lost my "reliance upon" people. Unless I was drunking I was scared to death to look anyone in the eyes. Who wouldn't lose their self-confidence after losing and losing a "silly" battle over and over to their own detriment, and the scorn of all those around them??

We feel, after many years of experience, that we have found nothing which has contributed more to the rehabilitation of these men than the altruistic movement now growing up among them

"found NOTHING" that is more effective, and this is from someone, expert at the field,that had work for years with thousands of "us"

Thanks for listening, and I would appreciate the revival of this thread.
chessiesmile
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Tosh » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:17 am

chessiesmile wrote:
The phenomenon of craving is limited to this class and NEVER OCCURS in the average temperate drinker
I never really thought about it, but i guess i thought, everybody that drinks, wanted/thought about alcohol,alot, just not like me, they were just stronger, or better people that would/could "do away" with the constant nag.

You've just written how I felt about other drinker's too. I was in the army and we've often have lunch-time drinks in the Sergeants Mess to celebrate some minor event; like the presentation of a long service good conduct medal (I never got mine do to not having enough 'good conduct', even though I'd done the 'long service' bit).

Anyway, most my comrades would come, have a beer-or-two, then go back to work. Once I started drinking, that was me; I 'let go' of any ideas I had about work and family, and I would just have to carry on. It was confusing how other folk could just leave the Mess bar so easily.

And ask some non-alcoholic family members about just stopping drinking after one-or-two drinks; ask them if they ever feel a craving for more. You won't relate to their answers. :lol:
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby French » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:26 am

Tosh wrote:
JohnZ wrote:Also, thank you to Gary D for that link. I love to listen to a great speaker!

Me me me me me me me me me! Can you PM me the link please?

This is one of the best posts I've read on the Doc's Opinion, btw. Thanks.

This is one of the best threads I've read and would love the link as well, please? Thanks
"The only thing I know is that I know nothing, therefore I'm the wisest man."
French
Forums Enthusiast

Postby DamienPage21 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:14 pm

Wow!! This Completely uplifted my spirits to see the absolute beauty of our fellowship in awesome spirit and form with this post!! WOW!! I am honored to be on a panel with my Sponsor and my homegroup doing a 1 day 12 step workshop. And wouldn't you know what chapter I agreed was so vital and so often overlooked by not only newcomers, but old timers sober for year, often skip this critical and vital section of the Big Book! Thank you all for such an awesome overview and insightful wisdom.
DamienPage21
Forums Newcomer

Postby Tosh » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:22 pm

DamienPage21 wrote:Wow!! This Completely uplifted my spirits to see the absolute beauty of our fellowship in awesome spirit and form with this post!! WOW!! I am honored to be on a panel with my Sponsor and my homegroup doing a 1 day 12 step workshop. And wouldn't you know what chapter I agreed was so vital and so often overlooked by not only newcomers, but old timers sober for year, often skip this critical and vital section of the Big Book! Thank you all for such an awesome overview and insightful wisdom.

Get an old Big Book; 1st Edition. An original will cost you thousands of dollars, but a reproduction is cheap enough.

The Doc's Opinion is on Page 1, not Page XIX (or whatever it's on).

Which is why my sponsor (who has an original 1st Edition 4th printing) says alkies just skip over it.

:lol:
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby tblue818 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:14 pm

chefchip wrote:Okay. This is what happens when I have too much time on my hands. I noodle around here and find really cool sh$t like this thread! So. I'm activating it again. If you haven't read the Doctor's Opinion, do so first. In my opinion, it should be required reading, anyway, it is that informative and powerful. And, there is a lot of thumping going on here. Don't say I didn't warn you! :lol:

I, too, like to dip into the archives. This was a fantastic 'resurrection'. Thanks everso.

Pamela
Never let a problem to be solved become more important than a person to be loved.

"Life becomes easier when you learn to accept an apology you never got."
tblue818
Forums Enthusiast

Previous

Return to Big Book Study