12-Step Research Request

All visitors are invited to "sign" the guest book.

12-Step Research Request

Postby BoozeDoc » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:16 am

My name is Don, and I am a doctoral student in psychology at a university. In my academic studies, and my personal journey as a friend of Bill W., I have observed that our recovery experiences have many similarities with the emerging field of Positive Psychology. My study, Alcoholics Anonymous: Testing a 12-Step Stage-of-Recovery Meaning Making Model, aims to help 12-step researchers and clinicians better understand how recovering alcoholics search for and find meaning in life through the spiritual program of Alcoholics Anonymous.

This survey includes 22 questions. Two questions are used to identify the population of this study: AA members older than 18 years old with more than 1 month of current sobriety. The survey will also ask how long you have considered yourself a member of AA. Nine questions in the survey are from the Alcoholics Anonymous Affiliation Scale, and 10 questions are from the Meaning in Life Questionnaire, which was recently developed by a team of positive psychologists led by Stephen Steger.

I am using the snowball survey method. This method relies on your individual goodwill to complete the survey, and to pass this survey request on to those in your recovery network. Please share this website address with other recovering alcoholics and ask them to do the same.

The study design ensures participant anonymity and can be completed online.

[Moderator's note: Last name, email address, name of institution, phone number and link removed per forums policies on outside links and anonymity on a world-accessible public forum. Please use pm function to obtain link for study. -- Ann]

Thank you,

Don
BoozeDoc
Forums Newcomer

Re: 12-Step Research Request

Postby leejosepho » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:14 am

BoozeDoc wrote:... I have observed that our recovery experiences have many similarities with the emerging field of Positive Psychology. My study, Alcoholics Anonymous: Testing a 12-Step Stage-of-Recovery Meaning Making Model, aims to help 12-step researchers and clinicians better understand how recovering alcoholics search for and find meaning in life through the spiritual program of Alcoholics Anonymous.

Welcome, Don, to e-AA!

If you might be interested in doing so, I would be interested in hearing your "12-Step Stage-of-Recovery Meaning Making Model" study title parsed. In my own experience (or at least personal observation), many people do make "utilitarian use of spiritual principles for personal gain" (my worded perception) without ever actually becoming "spiritual" themselves, so to speak. But for myself, that matter was addressed here:

"If a mere code of morals or a better philosophy of life were sufficient to overcome alcoholism, many of us would have recovered long ago. But we found that such codes and philosophies did not save us, no matter how much we tried. We could wish to be moral, we could wish to be philosophically comforted, in fact, we could will these things with all our might, but the needed power wasn't there. Our human resources, as marshalled by the will, were not sufficient; they failed utterly.
"Lack of power, that was our dilemma. We had to find a power by which we could live, and it had to be a Power greater than ourselves." (pages 44-45)
=======================
"We A.A.s do not *stay* away from drinking [one day at a
time] -- we *grow* away from drinking [one day at a time]."
("Lois Remembers", page 168, quoting Bill, emphasis added)
=======================
leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Postby ann2 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:24 am

Hey all, I pm'd booze doc for the link and haven't heard back yet. Don't know if this guy's for real.

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby PaigeB » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:34 am

I went to the site earlier - I googled his name and the test name
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby ann2 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:57 am

I don't know, maybe I'm being persnickety, but if someone posts on our forums asking for assistance, I'd hope he or she would stick around to assist when asked, especially a Booze Doc.

Okay, I know I'm being persnickety. But hey, is this just a hit-and-run? Or is he going to participate as he asks us to?

Ann
ann2
Forums Old Timer

12-Step Research Request

Postby BoozeDoc » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:08 am

So sorry I didn't get back sooner. I've had the page up on my computer, and didn't refresh, so I didn't know I had replies. Oops.

The link to the online survey is: [link removed according to forums policy]. I am a real person. I have been fortunate to understand alcoholism and recovery on my own journey, as a clinician, and now as an instructor/student in this field.

Thank you for your participation.

Don
BoozeDoc
Forums Newcomer

Postby ann2 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:01 am

After taking the survey -- Well, that was interesting. Thanks Don!
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Return to Guest Book