Hello Everyone

All visitors are invited to "sign" the guest book.

Hello Everyone

Postby strawberry » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:53 am

I am starting this odyssey and looking forward to a life without alcohol. This is day 2 for me. I am grateful that there are resources such as these to assist in recovery.
strawberry
Forums Enthusiast

Re: Hello Everyone

Postby leejosepho » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:12 am

A warm e-AA welcome to you, Strawberry!

Take a look around and share a little about yourself or ask any questions you might like.

Welcome.
=======================
"We A.A.s do not *stay* away from drinking [one day at a
time] -- we *grow* away from drinking [one day at a time]."
("Lois Remembers", page 168, quoting Bill, emphasis added)
=======================
leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Postby Mike O » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:19 pm

Hi strawberry. Welcome to the group.
-Mike :)
Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Postby PaigeB » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:07 pm

Hi Strawberry! My name is Paige and I am an alcoholic. Grateful to be sober today - I couldn't have done it without AA!

I really enjoy my time and fellowship here in e-aa - I hope you do too! Come everyday for new posts!!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby johnd » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:52 am

Welcome Strawberry A DAY AT A TIME John D Alcoholic :)
Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans- Anonymous
johnd
Forums Long Timer

Postby strawberry » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:10 pm

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I am making myself come to this first thing in the a.m. and in the p.m. before retiring to bed. My work is quite stressful advocacy. I know everyone here has busy productive lives as well and that they have learned to manage the stress without alcohol which is attractive to me. Last night was particularly tough with the dreaming about alcohol and the sweats when I woke up. I have quit for extended periods of time before and after the initial week or two it is not that difficult. This time I am hoping that I do not relapse. I am an alcoholic as well and I cannot simply socially drink.
strawberry
Forums Enthusiast

Postby leejosepho » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:48 pm

strawberry wrote:... I have quit for extended periods of time before and after the initial week or two it is not that difficult. This time I am hoping that I do not relapse ...

Ah, there is where A.A. entered my picture!

Got the book yet?! ;)

It contains the "script" for our movie ...
=======================
"We A.A.s do not *stay* away from drinking [one day at a
time] -- we *grow* away from drinking [one day at a time]."
("Lois Remembers", page 168, quoting Bill, emphasis added)
=======================
leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Postby strawberry » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:33 am

leejosepho wrote:
strawberry wrote:... I have quit for extended periods of time before and after the initial week or two it is not that difficult. This time I am hoping that I do not relapse ...

Ah, there is where A.A. entered my picture!

Got the book yet?! ;)

It contains the "script" for our movie ...

I am reading online, worked step 1 and onto step 2 today. I am ordering hard copy of book as well.
strawberry
Forums Enthusiast

Postby johnd » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:02 pm

Good start see if you can find Step Meetings and Big Book meetings this will help you, especially when you hear others share their experiences.
John D alcoholic :)
Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans- Anonymous
johnd
Forums Long Timer

Postby spider10121984 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:26 am

hi my name is lucas, english is not my first language so please excuse me if ill write something like i shouldn't.
my situation is... im alcoholic and live in relationship with the most lovely woman possible, but im breaking everything because of my drinking.
my problem is that i cant handle it myself, i just cant stop it.
i need help, i would love to go to aa meetings but in london (where i lived before) i went there and noone wanted to speak to me because im polish.
i dont know how its gonna be in peterborough where i live now but wil try it if ill find the place.
i think thats all, my main question is is that normal to discrimate someone on aa meeting ??
spider10121984
Forums Newcomer

Postby PaigeB » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:48 am

Hi Spider - I'm Paige and I'm an alcoholic. I have never ever been to an AA meeting where people discriminate. But I am not familiar with other cultures. Our Big Book says "love & tolerance is our code." My bet is that you just happened upon the wrong meeting. Try another one. Try many more. You will find a group to call your "Home Group"

Please consider my story. I am an atheist and I expected some serious backlash that never came. Then I thought for sure that there would come a day the other shoe would drop and I would be lynched and hauled from the room. That day still hasn't come.

When I talked to my sponsor about it she told me that perhaps I needed to rethink my opinions of THEM - maybe they were not so bad - not thinking about me at all. Maybe it was my perception of things that was the problem. She told me to practice love & tolerance with them - honestly, not waiting for a fight, but loving them no matter what. It wasn't that hard to do. We had ceased fighting anyone or any thing!

Perhaps your perception is off. But surely there is another meeting you can go to. If not, you know what I would do? I would go to the meeting anyway. I need meetings to stay sober. Maybe I would walk in and shake hands, insert myself in to conversations before and after the meeting. I would be loving and tolerant no matter what they did!

In the end all we can EVER do is conduct ourselves with integrity. Offer to be of service and wash the coffee cups!!

If you have a problem with drinking, we have a solution! Go to any length to stay sober & keep coming back!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby strawberry » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:14 am

spider10121984 wrote:hi my name is lucas, english is not my first language so please excuse me if ill write something like i shouldn't.
my situation is... im alcoholic and live in relationship with the most lovely woman possible, but im breaking everything because of my drinking.
my problem is that i cant handle it myself, i just cant stop it.
i need help, i would love to go to aa meetings but in london (where i lived before) i went there and noone wanted to speak to me because im polish.
i dont know how its gonna be in peterborough where i live now but wil try it if ill find the place.
i think thats all, my main question is is that normal to discrimate someone on aa meeting ??

I have polish ancestry. I think that that is cool. One thing I love about traveling is accents. I do not understand why they would not want to speak to you because of your nationality. You can come here everyone seems to be extremely accepting here on this forum. I am sorry that you had a bad experience previously. Perhaps it will not be that same experience this time?
strawberry
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Karl R » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:51 am

Hello Lucas,

I can't speak for an AA Group in London. I can only say that the E-AA Group is glad you found us here and have given us the pleasure of introducing yourself. Please stay around this bulletin board and keep posting. Your voice is needed among us.

kindest regards,
Karl
Karl R
Forums Old Timer

Postby Blue Moon » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:53 am

spider10121984 wrote:my main question is is that normal to discrimate someone on aa meeting ??

It's fairly normal for an alcoholic to feel discriminated against for all sorts of reasons - nationality, colour, gender, orientation, lack of money, too much money, lack of a job, important job, too old, too young, etc.

These are symptoms of the untreated alcoholic condition, with which alcoholics - often perfectionists in the extreme - gradually isolate from life itself. The alcoholic mantra could be "my case is different, nobody understands".

So unless they were segregating you, I would put this down as a symptom of the disease. It doesn't "want" you to seek help and get well.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby Layne » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:26 am

noone wanted to speak to me because im polish
Did you try to speak anyone? Did you try more than once? Did you keep yourself approachable? Remember there are always 2 sides to every story. Their version may have nothing to go with you being Polish. :wink:
Layne
Forums Old Timer

Next

Return to Guest Book