sick and suffering

All visitors are invited to "sign" the guest book.

sick and suffering

Postby dawnOfANewDay » Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:12 am

Hello everyone My name is Dawn and I am an alcoholic.
I have been trying to get sober for alittle over 2 yrs. I hang onto the only requirement for AA membership is the "DESIRE" to stop drinking. I have to do it one day at a time and it is still working. But I have the "cocktail of lifes miseries" stirring up agian as they have before that has givin me a reason/excuse to drink agian in the past. I haven't yet learned to "live" on lifes terms but I do have the Honesty to that it takes to get sober.

Maybe someday I will get this and succeed in staying sober.

I am glad I found this. It's nice to know I have a place I can go.

Thanks for letting me share
dawnOfANewDay
Forums Enthusiast

Re: sick and suffering

Postby Holly96 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:18 am

Hi Dawn, glad you are here. My name is Holly, and I am an alcoholic. This forom is a great addition to the face to face things in AA. ( meetings , sponsor, the 12 steps etc). Glad you made youw way here.

I am really skeptical when it comes to online websites, however, I have been pleases in the wonderful sharing of experience , strength, and hope by members here.
Please let me know if I can be of help to you.

Holly
don't leave before the miracle...you will be amazed.

Holly
Holly96
Forums Long Timer

Postby SteveC » Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:01 am

Hi Dawn!

I understand about those life problems. We've all been there. These are the times when I take the one day at a time idea and shorten it to 1/2 a day or an hour or 15 minutes. Believe me, it works & I don't drink.

Hugs!

Steve
Steven M. Clapper
Great Falls, Montana, USA

Serenity is not absence of the storm,
But peace within the storm.
SteveC
Forums Contributor

Postby stephbridget » Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:38 pm

Welcome Dawn.
I am Stephanie from TX. Let me know if you need anything. My problems today are like any other non alcohlics---no better and no worse. Sobriety is something that I am grateful for as I am no different than others when it comes to LIFE.

Go to meetings, get a sponsor, work the steps and just do not drink Today!
Focus on the Now...
stephbridget
Forums Old Timer

Postby tracy » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:46 am

Hi Dawn,

I came into these rooms alone, miserable, afraid, not wanting to drink but wanting more than life itself at times.

Today, through sponsorship, steps, the big book, traditions, concepts, service work, and sponsoring other women I don't have those things. Don't get me wrong. I still get some fear, I get cranky and irritated, but no where near what it was.

In the big book there are many promises. Here are some:
"And we have ceased fighting anything or anyone, even alcohol. For by this time sanity will have returned. We will seldom be interested in liquor. If tempted, we recoil from it as from a hot flame. We react sanely and normally, and we will find that this has happened automatically. We will see that our new attitude toward liquor has been given us without any thought or effort on our part. It just comes! That is the miracle of it. We are not fighting it, neither are we avoiding temptation. We feel as though we had been placed in a position of neutrality safe and protected. We have not even sworn off. Instead, the problem has been removed. It does not exist for us. We are neither cocky nor are we afraid."

The solution is in the book and putting it into action for me.

Please keep posting and feel free to email me.

Warmest wishes,
Tracy
tracy
Forums Enthusiast

Return to Guest Book