e-newcomer

All visitors are invited to "sign" the guest book.

Re: e-newcomer

Postby mebill » Mon May 23, 2005 2:51 am

Hi Rob, I am new to this site also. I am still struggling with whether or not I am an alcoholic. I am getting some good feedback, giving me food for thought. While do not drink everyday,I haven't gone 47 days without a drink at all probably in 30 years! Congrats!!

What made you stop drinking and how did you cross that bridge. Hang in there!

Bill
mebill
Forums Long Timer

Postby SteveC » Mon May 23, 2005 2:31 pm

Hi Bill!

Steve, alcoholic here.

Why are you struggling with whether or not you're an alkie? It's not something a "normal" person would think about. You don't have to drink everyday to be an alkie. It's not what we drink, how often we dring or anuthing like that. It's what happens to us when we drink! If alcohol is causing you a problem, then alcohol is a problem. Real simple. I wasn't a daily drinker when I first came to AA. I was drug to my first meeting by a well meaning friend. I didn't think I had a problem because I "wasn't as bad as them people". I hung around for awhile. I mean free coffee & all, ya know? I eventually went back to drinking & over a period of a few years, I started drinking more & more. I eventually became that daily drinker. WHen I got back to AA a number of years later, I was really having problems. That was 12 years ago & I don't have those problems today. Sure, I have good days & bad days. So dose everyone else! But through AA I have learned to live life on life's terms. I've learned a simple way of dealing with those daily ups & downs.

Stick around & join us. We have real time meetings in the chat room, as well as several email meetings. It's a fun group. Feel free to drop me a line anytime.

Hugs!

Steve
Steven M. Clapper
Great Falls, Montana, USA

Serenity is not absence of the storm,
But peace within the storm.
SteveC
Forums Contributor

Postby patty143 » Sat May 28, 2005 3:12 pm

Rob,
I did not have driving rights when I first got sober, but somehow I found my way to a few meetings in the begining. I did not have a computer in begining days so this option was not open to me. The court system said I had to go AA. My first 2 meetings I had a friend drop me off and pick me up. My second meeting I ask if anyone lived near me and from that point on I was at a meeting every day. When you are new to the program I feel you need to go to face to face meetings. Met other people who like you are in the same boat so to speak. Help is there. Reach out and say hi at meetings. Let people get to know you and you will be surprised at the friends you will have. I know I was.
Patty W :coffeecup:
patty143
Forums Long Timer

Postby patty143 » Sat May 28, 2005 3:25 pm

Bill,
My question to you is do you want to stop drinking because you think you MIGHT have a problem? Or is your drinking affecting your life?
Most normal drinking people do not question if they have problem. I knew I did and just made a choice to not deal with it. The cop who pulled me over and the court system thought I had a problem. I now thank them for that DUI. It was in getting that TICKET that made me go to AA.
I have learned that life can be really good without booze. Don't get me wrong, life is not always hapy, happy. i do have down days. But today I have the tools to deal with life. I now have a life I can be proud of. Try going to more meetings. Say hello to others and tell them who you are. Most of us are very nice people.
I never met a drunk didn't like.LOL
Good luck in your search.
Patty W. :coffeecup:
patty143
Forums Long Timer

Postby stephbridget » Sun May 29, 2005 2:38 pm

I have been on the list and chat for about a month, but wanted to post finally :)

I have enjoyed talking to you all and the daily contact here via chat, meetings and email.

Thanks for being there :-)
Focus on the Now...
stephbridget
Forums Old Timer

Postby Frog » Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:29 am

Hi Bill,

I'm a binge drinker. Have been most of my adult life. I'd always been able to go a week or two without a drink, but when the weekend came around I would get legless. One beer almost always led to 5 or 6 and that led to hard liquor, and that, in turn, led to some pretty crappy situations. It took me to the age of 35 to do anything about it. I lied to myself that I had it under control up until then. Nobody could have made me stop completely. I just finally realised I didn't like the person I became when drunk. I'm still working on it and have only made real progress through AA meetings.
Powerless but strong
Frog
Forums Newcomer

Postby stephbridget » Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:05 pm

Meetings are great. That is a start. Keep reaching out because there is so much offered.
Focus on the Now...
stephbridget
Forums Old Timer

Postby LISAJD4 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:17 pm

HI ROB, LISA HERE I AM NEW ON THE SITE, I WILL BE CELEBRATING 60 DAYS CLEAN AND SOBER ON SAT. I GO MY NA AND AA MEETINGS. I DO FIND IT A STRUGGLE I DID TODAY, I FELT LIKE STAYING IN BED ALL DAY BUT I DIDNT. I FIND I CAN EXPRESS MY FEELINGS ON THE MESSAGE BOARD. KEEP POSTING!
LISAXX
LISAJD4
Forums Enthusiast

Return to Guest Book