New Here, Refusing to Isolate

All visitors are invited to "sign" the guest book.

New Here, Refusing to Isolate

Postby 1Peter5:10 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:42 am

Hi all.

I just saw this guestbook and have already posted some thoughts in the dicussion elsewhere.

Short version is a work/sleep change has left me temporarily isolated. I am grateful for this board and the people who maintain it, because for me isolation might lead me to be alone in my head, ans we DON'T want that. lol

Thank you all. :)
1Peter5:10
Forums Newcomer

Re: New Here, Refusing to Isolate

Postby avaneesh912 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:50 am

Welcome to be the board. There are great sections in this forum where you can go deeper and understand the disease of alcoholism. Also the solution to that. here is are also links to the book Alcoholics Anonymous. And references to how to find great workshops on youtube.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Brock » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:07 am

Welcome here Bob. The ‘traffic’ on the forums is a bit up and down, quite busy this morning which we like to see, I have read and enjoyed the post about your work, and hope the hours are something your body gets used to. I couldn’t resist looking up what the 1 Peter 5:10 was about, makes a lot of sense to me, I will put it up for others to see, from the bible ‘New International Version’ -
Once you were not a people, but now you are the people of God; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Jani » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:26 am

Yes, it is a disease of isolation and feeling alone. This is my first time posting. I am a 75 year old and just recommended to my Sponsee that she register with this site
since she cannot always get to a meeting. Attending a meeting in person or online everyday is vital to our sobriety. The Big Book says we are "given a daily reprieve"
it is 24 hours at time. Stay in the present ! Blessings to all who struggle today
Jani
Forums Newcomer

Postby Brock » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:21 am

Welcome to e-AA Jani.

Some here might agree that a meeting in person or online is necessary every day, it’s a subject we sometimes discuss. The full quote on daily reprieve says - “What we really have is a daily reprieve contingent on the maintenance of our spiritual condition.” So for those who find meetings ‘spiritual,’ or necessary to maintaining a fit spiritual condition, good for them, for those who can maintain it without, good for them as well. One thing I agree 100% with is what you say here - “Stay in the present !” not as easy to do as it sounds, but a great way to live.

Other venues within e-AA can be found by reading this - viewtopic.php?f=10&t=23988

Thanks for recommending this site to your sponsee, we have a good bunch of AA folks here.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Atchafalaya » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:06 pm

It really IS a disease of isolation. Anywayz, I just joined tonight, haven't been to AA in 15 years and been sober for 5 days now. I'll be on this site as much as possible. As I really don't want to go to any local meetings.......
Thanks for the group!! :wink:
Atchafalaya
Forums Newcomer

Postby Brock » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:28 pm

Welcome here Atchafalaya, congratulations on the five days.

Since you were in AA 15 years ago, you have an idea what it’s all about, don’t want to try talking you into the local meetings sure you have your reasons, maybe you will say what those are sometime. I am not one of those meeting makers make it types, until I did the steps meetings couldn’t keep me sober very long, that is really where the solution lies, and they are not half as hard as they look on paper.

Hope to see you around here, please feel free to post anything you wish.
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Atchafalaya » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:23 am

Brock wrote:Welcome here Atchafalaya, congratulations on the five days.

Since you were in AA 15 years ago, you have an idea what it’s all about, don’t want to try talking you into the local meetings sure you have your reasons, maybe you will say what those are sometime. I am not one of those meeting makers make it types, until I did the steps meetings couldn’t keep me sober very long, that is really where the solution lies, and they are not half as hard as they look on paper.

Hope to see you around here, please feel free to post anything you wish.

Well thank you Brock!
The reason I don't want to go to a meeting here, is because I work for a school district. People I work with are very unforgiving when it comes to alcohol or smoking. I quit smoking 2 years ago, and out of a building of 200 employees, only me and one other smoked. I got enough condescending looks for that and it's a small town. So I'm thinking people would find out. So, I pretty much have kept to myself for quite a long time. People at my work consider me "the loner" since I never attend things with them on the weekend. That was because I was a drunken stupor from Friday night - Sunday night.
Atchafalaya
Forums Newcomer

Postby Spirit Flower » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:10 pm

I used to live in a small town; and didn't go to meetings there. But once a week, I drove 50 miles to the city and went to a meeting there; and went to a real grocery store!
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Trusted Servant

Postby Atchafalaya » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:28 pm

Spirit Flower wrote:I used to live in a small town; and didn't go to meetings there. But once a week, I drove 50 miles to the city and went to a meeting there; and went to a real grocery store!

Maybe I should do that. Find one out of town. I had a REAL hard time Sunday night. Had a crying spe :mrgreen: ll that lasted 2 hours. Almost ran out to buy wine. But, I didn't. Now I'm feeling a bit better but I'm a total grouch. lol
Atchafalaya
Forums Newcomer

Postby Brock » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:12 pm

Nice to hear from you, well done on getting over the hurdle on Sunday.

Of course we will encourage you to start working on those steps, without them these challenges, like the one on Sunday, will keep popping up, and the day will come when you will give in. The book gives many examples to demonstrate that, folks who didn’t do the suggested steps last for a while by will power, then falling even when their lives were going fine otherwise.

So looking for an out of town meeting is a good idea, but also consider sitting with the big book, and each day listening to a bit from a big book study on you tube, you can find various ones just by typing in AA Big Book study. Keep in touch with us here, we all have been where you are and understand.
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Atchafalaya » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:08 pm

Brock wrote:Nice to hear from you, well done on getting over the hurdle on Sunday.

Of course we will encourage you to start working on those steps, without them these challenges, like the one on Sunday, will keep popping up, and the day will come when you will give in. The book gives many examples to demonstrate that, folks who didn’t do the suggested steps last for a while by will power, then falling even when their lives were going fine otherwise.

So looking for an out of town meeting is a good idea, but also consider sitting with the big book, and each day listening to a bit from a big book study on you tube, you can find various ones just by typing in AA Big Book study. Keep in touch with us here, we all have been where you are and understand.

Thanks Brock. I SO appreciate the support. Last time I quit I did not work the steps and blew it after a year. :( I took your advice and found some youtube videos. I've printed out a worksheet for step 4 and will start working on it tonight after work.
I have to remind myself that I'm "learning" to cope with problems without alcohol. And just because I quit drinking doesn't mean I won't have any problems.
Atchafalaya
Forums Newcomer

Return to Guest Book