new start need help

All visitors are invited to "sign" the guest book.

new start need help

Postby kelliewoods75 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:29 am

hello ,really stuggling at moment,want to get back to the start.been in rehab for six months need advice or guidance ,always thinking of the alcoholic that is out there .never be complacent and too over confident.please bring on a new dayx
kelliewoods75
Forums Newcomer

Re: new start need help

Postby Brock » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:03 am

Welcome to e-AA kellie, sorry to learn about your struggles. When someone is not having an easy time of it hearing from them helps us all, because it is easy to forget that we also struggled, some for a longer time than others.

Being in rehab for six months means you must know where the solution to ending the struggle lies, so I won't go on too much about the steps we take and so on, but really it's the only answer we have. And until I believed that the program really did provide a complete release, from any urge to drink or use anything, I could not give anything more than a half arsed attempt, just sit in meetings and think I would get better.

If you have not done so, perhaps you would consider looking for someone at the meetings who looks the part, looks like they are enjoying contented sobriety, and hopefully speaks about the steps and AA literature. Asking assistance form someone like that can make a world of difference, you go through these steps and there is no doubt it changes your life. The hardest part I find is convincing new members just how wonderful the change can be, when the book says happy joyous and free it is not a lie, and I wish you the best of progress in finding that out for yourself.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby avaneesh912 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:44 am

Recovery is not something like you go to a college and get a degree and be done with it. You need to be convinced that you are alcoholic and need to be also convinced that this 12 steps of AA would work for you. The meetings, the steps and the service component all are part of a whole package designed for the alcoholic, so he/she could have a serene life. Since last November its been a terrible period around here, members killing their kids and killing themselves, few overdosing. One we buried last Wednesday was dead for a week before they found the body. Man it hit me hard. These people whom, I inter-acted with, until this time, I have heard people going out, or once in a while go dying but they were not part my home group.

This month grapevine article features people who had gone out due to the "peculiar mental twist" after 10-20 years of sobriety and says AA was there to welcome them back. Gosh, I was thinking about people who don't comeback. I wonder if we just scare the people of what happens when we go out, instead of teaching them of this "Mental block" and that the defense must come from their higher power? And as Brock pointed out, there is A solution (in AA) and that is working the 12 steps and having a spiritual awakening.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby PaigeB » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:58 pm

Welcome Kelli. You probably know that AA is different that treatment. I knew that even if I was to go to treatment, I would need AA to achieve and maintain long term sobriety and serenity. So I suggest that you check out http://www.aa.org/ and hit "Find a Meeting Near You". That will link you to your state or province and link you further to your Area and maybe even the district in your city.

I started out by walking into a meeting. We ALL had to start somewhere and that is where I started. I met a lot of people who told me to keep coming back and don't quit before the miracle. If I can do it you can do it!

And keep coming back here ~ we are open 24/7/365! Welcome home!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Return to Guest Book