Technical assistance

All visitors are invited to "sign" the guest book.

Technical assistance

Postby Regan » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:06 pm

Hi..I'm a newly registered member here and I'm having some technical difficulties.. Who do I contact about this? I've looked all over this site but can't seem to find a place for assistance. Hope to get a response soon. Thanks, Regan
Regan
Forums Newcomer

Re: Technical assistance

Postby Brock » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:22 pm

Welcome here Regan, if you put your questions up probably anyone who has been around awhile will be able to answer. Other than that if you look on the board you will see posts by PaigeB, she is the current coordinator, by clicking on her name you will be able to send her a PM, (private message), there are some other good technical folks like Ann2. As a general rule you will see the words 'Trusted Servant' under some users avatar, these are also members who may help. Best of luck.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby ann2 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:36 pm

Plus I've found a lot of info here:

faq.php

But please go ahead & let us know what you need help with :)

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby Regan » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:45 pm

Hi..thanks for your responses. Brock, I tried to PM Paige B but there is an x in the box next to her name (tried to remove it, but no-go) and my message wouldn't go through.

My problem is that when I post my response to a topic I'm told I need to log in. This seems to happen when my posts are more than two or three paragraphs long..it's almost like I'm being timed out for taking too long to post. Not much point sticking around if I can't join in, so would really like some help. Thanks to all. Peace.
Regan
Forums Newcomer

Postby ezdzit247 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:21 pm

Regan wrote:Hi..thanks for your responses. Brock, I tried to PM Paige B but there is an x in the box next to her name (tried to remove it, but no-go) and my message wouldn't go through.

My problem is that when I post my response to a topic I'm told I need to log in. This seems to happen when my posts are more than two or three paragraphs long..it's almost like I'm being timed out for taking too long to post. Not much point sticking around if I can't join in, so would really like some help. Thanks to all. Peace.

Hi Regan

I've been a member on the e-aa forums for almost two years and I'm still experiencing the same kind of technical glitches and hiccups you've described, including being asked to log in multiple times after I've already logged in and having a post I've submitted just disappear. I haven't encountered these kinds of technical difficulties on other recovery forums so my guess is the software here is just outdated and needs to be upgraded. When that will happen is anyone's guess.
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby ann2 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:31 pm

Regan wrote:I tried to PM Paige B but there is an x in the box next to her name (tried to remove it, but no-go) and my message wouldn't go through.

The "x" means that the pm will go to Paige. It's like a check mark -- Paigeb is chosen as a recipient. Just continue with the pm and submit. She'll get it.

My problem is that when I post my response to a topic I'm told I need to log in. This seems to happen when my posts are more than two or three paragraphs long..it's almost like I'm being timed out for taking too long to post.

Thanks for letting us know, we'll look into the board settings.

Ann
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby Brock » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:00 pm

I am surprised at the problems Regan is having, and also EZ reporting some as well. In the years I have been here I have only had to log in on a couple of occasions after my computer crashed, and of course whenever I used a 'strange' computer. By clicking on remember me or keep me logged in or whatever it says I have had no problem, also no posts disappearing. We have never had a topic here where members suggested little short cuts or tricks they have found to make it more user friendly, it might be an idea to do so, here is the best way I have found, these are simple things which most people may be doing already, but if not they may be useful.

Create a short cut to the site from the “View active topics” section found near the top right of the main page, this takes me to where the action is, rather than having to scroll down through all the various topics. If I want to respond to something I find it best to reduce the screen size and slide it to one side, then open word or whatever you use to write letters on and write there. The spell check works better, and I can see what others have written on the topic by scrolling up or down on the page I moved to one side. Nice thing as well I can stop and have coffee or whatever take as long as I want, then when ready hit the “Post Reply” and copy & paste what I have in word. If you haven't seen it the preview is good to look at which is the button next to submit, you can then make any corrections before submitting.

It's good to ask any questions, I couldn't figure out how to use the quote until I asked, just as in an AA meeting I think here there is no embarrassment about asking questions, all the best to you.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Regan » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:54 am

Hi..well, okay, Brock. Thanks to all again for the assistance. As we say at some meetings, "Take what you need and leave the rest". Peace.
Regan
Forums Newcomer

Postby PaigeB » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:14 pm

I have timed out before too! Maddening after all that writing! NOW I copy what I write if it took me a while - just in case I have to "log in" again. That way I can just paste what I wrote after I get logged in.

I use Unread posts or New Posts rather than scroll through each of the boards.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Tosh » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:24 pm

ezdzit247 wrote:I'm still experiencing the same kind of technical glitches and hiccups you've described, including being asked to log in multiple times after I've already logged in and having a post I've submitted just disappear.

Maybe God's trying to tell you something, Ezdzit? :lol:

No problems here, at all. Could this be one of those 'cookie problems'? You know where you have to clear your browsing history?
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby ezdzit247 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:39 pm

Tosh wrote:
ezdzit247 wrote:I'm still experiencing the same kind of technical glitches and hiccups you've described, including being asked to log in multiple times after I've already logged in and having a post I've submitted just disappear.

Maybe God's trying to tell you something, Ezdzit? :lol:

No problems here, at all. Could this be one of those 'cookie problems'? You know where you have to clear your browsing history?

LOL... :lol:

I checked with God first. Nope, said everyone has the free will and right to make a jackass out themselves on the internet. Checked the browsing cache second and that's not it either. The only "cookie" problem I have is controlling myself around Nutter Butters!
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby ann2 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:06 pm

ezdzit247 wrote: The only "cookie" problem I have is controlling myself around Nutter Butters!

I have that problem with pepparkakor (ginger snaps). Egad!
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby Regan » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:57 am

PaigeB wrote:I have timed out before too! Maddening after all that writing! NOW I copy what I write if it took me a while - just in case I have to "log in" again. That way I can just paste what I wrote after I get logged in.

I use Unread posts or New Posts rather than scroll through each of the boards.

There you go, Paige! Now that's a good message. I got it and will do it :wink:
Regan
Forums Newcomer

Return to Guest Book