New to AA. Should've done this years ago

All visitors are invited to "sign" the guest book.

New to AA. Should've done this years ago

Postby Loretta » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:39 pm

I had my latest bad episode last Thursday. I got drunk, did some driving and even was around my little grandson. I feel just about as worthless as I have ever felt. I am an alcoholic even though I don't drink that often. But when I drink, I can't stop. I am powerless over alcohol. I don't stop until I am really drunk. I hate myself for days after an episode and I am sick of this. I want to stop and be free from alcohol!!! I need help.
Loretta
Forums Newcomer

Re: New to AA. Should've done this years ago

Postby Brock » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:36 pm

But when I drink, I can't stop. I am powerless over alcohol. I don't stop until I am really drunk.

Welcome to e-AA Loretta, good for you on the statement copied above, that's the kind of thing winners in AA say. And therein lies the problem, as much as we may try the day always comes when we pick up that first drink, because we are powerless and must find a power greater than ourselves.

This site is a good start and I am sure you will get advice and encouragement, it will be that AA meetings are the best thing you can do for yourself, this is something many have doubts and fears about, until they try it and find it's just a group of ordinary folks who have found an answer, not just to booze but also to other problems life throws at us. Stick with us and ask as many questions as you please, best of luck.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Robert R » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:54 pm

Welcome Loretta, I can only echo what Brock has already said, admission of powerlessness is the gateway to the solution offered in AA. Willingness to go to any lengths to get and stay sober, is also essential to recovery. There is so much more to life without alcohol that I could never have achieved without AA. I wish you success on your journey and look forward to hearing more from you.
Don't know exactly where I am going but I'm on my way and it's already much better than where I've been.
Robert R
Forums Contributor

Postby avaneesh912 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:07 pm

True powerlessness is that, an alcohlic cannot stay away from that first drink. He/she will come up with every excuse and blind sighted about the consequences (drinking way over what they can and other ramifications: DUI, Car crashes, Jails and Instituations).
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby PaigeB » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:31 pm

Welcome Loretta! E-aa is full of alcoholics that are willing to share their experience, strength and hope with you! Keep coming back!

Here is a link to the USA General Service Office website http://www.aa.org/
have fun exploring there! Read pamphlets and our "Big Book" Alcoholics Anonymous. The Doctor's Opinion, in the front of the book, was particularly helpful to me. I have a disease and I need a treatment. There is no cure, but in AA I have found a solution.

You can also find AA near you. Follow the links to an city near you can make a call to a woman there. In this program we help each other. The person you contact will be helped as much as you are, so make that call! That is what I did and it saved my life. No joke. I live a complete life today. I am an active participant in my life. It is really pretty cool.

Welcome!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Return to Guest Book