This site seems moribund, frankly.

All visitors are invited to "sign" the guest book.

This site seems moribund, frankly.

Postby No.3 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:11 am

I just looked at your YP AA forum. No new posts in almost 3 months! "Houston, you have a problem..."
I go to a few YP meetings, and most of my other regular meetings have a strong and dynamic YP presence. No so here, obviously.
I find this especially curious, since YPs are much more active on the internet than "olds" ; what's seen here is the inverse to that reality.
I can only wonder what's the matter here?

On your YP forum you have 2 pages of OPs. I also participate on another, active and engaging forum (phpBB type) which generates 15 new posts per day.* It seems that (adjusting downward for bot-views) the recent YP sticky gets 1.14-1 views per day; the max viewed is 21.15 - 1.85 views and the average recent thread gets 1.6 - 1.4 views/day, or 1.2 - 1./day over the last six months.
Tumbleweeds?

Edit: on that other forum, the average views per post (on & since 9/18/2015) is 3.2 daily views. Overall site traffic 3-4x greater; ~60 daily users.
Last edited by No.3 on Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The Group demands total loyalty to the inner group. Some have had to leave the movement because of the Groups' demands which conflict with truth or duty." The Oxford Groups by Herbert H. Henson, 1933, pages 73-74.
No.3
Forums Enthusiast

Re: This site seems moribund, frankly.

Postby PaigeB » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:38 pm

The newcomers thread is a lot more active. "Young" is subjective I think! My f2f community is considered a "pocket of enthusiasm" and we only have one meeting that is YP, yet olders go to it as well. YPAA is not well supported in our area either. Most of the young people are alcoholics just like anyone else and are encouragged in the same manner as any other drunk coming in.

Such things seem to go along the lines they go - I do not see the lack of YP posts of any more concern than I do the lack of post in "The Golden Years".
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby ann2 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:12 pm

Some forums are more active than others. So what? If an A.A. member gets use from a post once in ten years, we've provided a service. In addition, there's many reading who don't post or even register. I think your comment is uninformed, no.3.

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby ezdzit247 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:49 pm

No.3 wrote:I just looked at your YP AA forum. No new posts in almost 3 months! "Houston, you have a problem..."
I go to a few YP meetings, and most of my other regular meetings have a strong and dynamic YP presence. No so here, obviously.
I find this especially curious, since YPs are much more active on the internet than "olds" ; what's seen here is the inverse to that reality.
I can only wonder what's the matter here?

On your YP forum you have 2 pages of OPs. I also participate on another, active and engaging forum (phpBB type) which generates 15 new posts per day.* It seems that (adjusting downward for bot-views) the recent YP sticky gets 1.14-1 views per day; the max viewed is 21.15 - 1.85 views and the average recent thread gets 1.6 - 1.4 views/day, or 1.2 - 1./day over the last six months.
Tumbleweeds?

Edit: on that other forum, the average views per post (on & since 9/18/2015) is 3.2 daily views. Overall site traffic 3-4x greater; ~60 daily users.

Yup. I've noticed that YP's don't hang out much on the e-aa forums as well. Whatever the reasons are for this phenomena, YP's definitely do hang out at an AA website called Step Chat which has many live, real time AA meetings every day. I've noticed that the meetings there are conducted in the same formats of most regular AA meetings and are very well attended, i. e. an average of 60 to 80 posters per hour. I have recommended that website as well as the AA Agnostics website to newly sober people who have posted here in the e-aa forums. I think it's good for everyone seeking help to get and stay sober to know they have options.
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

So I guess the name of this forum isnt "Suggestions"?

Postby No.3 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:51 pm

The numbers are what the numbers are. I'd suggest La-la-la-la-la-I-can't-hear you!!! isn't really a reply either. But whatever: e-aa "discussions."
The YP AA branch has had 11 posts in the last 6 months. Perhaps it's like a long failing group, abandoned by all but one old alkie holding on to "his meeting"? good AA de-lists those.

:idea: Recommend YPs to another site where they might get the support they need &want, rather than thinking selfishly of your own site?

* Edit: thank you ezdzit247! On point and appreciated :D
"The Group demands total loyalty to the inner group. Some have had to leave the movement because of the Groups' demands which conflict with truth or duty." The Oxford Groups by Herbert H. Henson, 1933, pages 73-74.
No.3
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Reborn » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:33 pm

I agree with ann...does it matter where people post? We have a men's forum that rarely gets used. I guess my question is...if our forum is so terrible why are you here? I've been posting here for 6 months and have seen quite a few young people post in the newcomers forum and they are always welcomed.
We have recovered, and have been given the power to help others. BB pg 132
Reborn
Forums Long Timer

Postby ezdzit247 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:07 pm

Reborn wrote:I agree with ann...does it matter where people post? We have a men's forum that rarely gets used. I guess my question is...if our forum is so terrible why are you here? I've been posting here for 6 months and have seen quite a few young people post in the newcomers forum and they are always welcomed.

Maybe No.3 is doing a doctoral thesis on how well the AA program functions in cyberspace on internet forums? Group dynamics in AA is a very popular topic for masters and doctoral thesis among sociology and psych majors who are also long time AA members. Ya just never know.... :wink:
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby Niagara » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:14 am

Alcoholism is alcoholism. The craving, obsession and malady are the same across the board, whether or not a person is 20 or 60...as is the program of recovery.

Since internet forums are faceless, for all I know there are several young people here, and several golden oldies.

There is no guarantee that a young alcoholic will get sober just because they are on a site for young people. I'll just keep carrying the message, wish the very best for everyone in recovery regardless of age, and hope that if they don't find what they are looking for here, they find it somewhere else as soon as possible.

My own sponsor was quite a bit older than me...but I was done, and the age difference didn't matter. I just wanted help.
If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month -
Theodore Roosevelt
Niagara
Forums Old Timer

Postby Robert R » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:34 am

Don't know if this is relevant but will put it out there anyway. My perception of the world around me used to reflect more about me than the world. When I looked within and did the repair job suggested by my AA friends strangely enough the whole world changed :lol: Definitely a case of a new pair of glasses. No need for me to run the show anymore or criticise merely for the sake of doing so.
Don't know exactly where I am going but I'm on my way and it's already much better than where I've been.
Robert R
Forums Contributor

The YP forum is moribund, frankly.

Postby No.3 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:25 am

I looked again: 'generously counting' eight(8) YP posters, over the last 6 months. None continue to participate. It's not clear to me there's even a single YP on this site posting with even sporadic regularity - "quite a few," that's not.

Groups are advised to hold inventories periodically. My homegroup (Open, Speaker, centrally located, fantastic space, refreshments, mostly YP, great fellowship: very solid message) held our inventory a few months ago: we addressed/admitted the dearth of women attendees/active members. How and why did we effectively become a men's meeting? What can we do to reverse that? This topic was discussed at length, it's a serious problem. (We may not be able to fix that problem, but we did make changes immediately.)

It would be shockingly dishonest for anyone to have denied "Oh, that's not a problem!" or even more childishly, retort by absurd dismissal: la-la-la-la-I can't hear you!!! No adult, mature, responsible AA would respond that way. In my AA experience, only the iniquitous make more calculating excuses, deny problems, attack the messenger, etc. Sadly, they gravitate to organized roles as "trusted servants" - the archived history of AA groups is blotchy with their tacit and overt malfeasance.

"If you don't like it, leave!" scream the corrupt. Again: that's not AA either.

Consider it a different way: if you joined a clubhouse only to find out later that barely 7-8 YP had attended your daily/weekly "YP meeting" over the last six months, would you ask why? Or -in Selfish Prudence?- would you keep your mouth shut? (When the numbers are counted, 'Ignorance is bliss' isn't an option.)

I choose to speak.
No.3
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Reborn » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:07 pm

Let me ask you question did you go through the newcomers forum and look for ages of folks posting there? I don't believe you can get an accurate count of young people posting here by looking at one forum. Infact most people who post don't mention how old they are...who cares really??? I'm sure we can agree that this site is alot different than F2F meetings right? In my time here I've seen quite a few people post once and never post again....Instead of ranting about the situation you're concerned with...tell us how would you fix it?
We have recovered, and have been given the power to help others. BB pg 132
Reborn
Forums Long Timer

Postby ann2 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:39 pm

This is the way our forums works. Time isn't an issue. The meeting happens whenever someone shows up. Again, no.3, you aren't paying attention to the fact that posts can be read without login or reply. In other words, there's no gauging the activity of interested readers.

Our group conscience has a specific goal for this forum. We aren't looking for volume. We believe that a post here may be looked up years from now.

As I think I mentioned on another thread, to affect group conscience, participate in our business meeting. What we have here is a recovery meeting put on by the e-AA group. This format has been in use for 15 years. It's undergone change and been managed by rotating servants elected in ourbusiness meeting as well as a committee that considers this a service opportunity.

Make your own site, make it the way you want it. But as far as getting active discussion, that's more of a Tradition 2 effect :)

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby ezdzit247 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:27 pm

Reborn wrote:...Instead of ranting about the situation you're concerned with...tell us how would you fix it?

Actually, he already has proposed several "fix-it" solutions on multiple occasions and in multiple threads. I've read them all and suggest that rather than asking him to "step and fetch it" just for your benefit of the benefit of any others who haven't been paying attention, why don't you just simply review the content of his posts?
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby PaigeB » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:31 pm

Here's a "view" for you! WOW!

post 22 years old and i might be an alcoholic
by Bhenderso6 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:33 pm ......... 2 Replies 223 Views
Last post by ann2 Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:25 am

post Too young??
by Muffinpie » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:34 pm ............ 5 Replies 150 Views
Last post by chefchip Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:36 am

post Looking for some new connections.
by ahutch » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:09 pm ................ 4 Replies 371 Views
Last post by ann2 Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:35 am

post ack... i'm too young for this
by Guest » Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:54 pm ................. 27 Replies 6994 Views
Last post by Muffinpie Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:59 pm
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby whipping post » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:00 am

ann2 wrote: posts can be read without login or reply. We believe that a post here may be looked up years from now.

This echoes my experience. I lurked for the first two or three months of sobriety and spent several hours reading old posts.
whipping post
Forums Contributor

Next

Return to Guest Book