New to AA and e-AA

All visitors are invited to "sign" the guest book.

New to AA and e-AA

Postby Dane1965 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:35 am

Hello everyone *waving*. My name is Jan and I'm an alcoholic. I'm new to both AA and e-AA. After many years of on and off sobriety I now am 11 months sober. I have been looking into the various support groups over here (I'm a Dane). I've just finished the Big Book and am now considering going to my first ever meeting. :)
Dane1965
Forums Newcomer

Re: New to AA and e-AA

Postby Niagara » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:44 am

Hello and welcome to both E-AA and AA Dane :)

That big book is never finished though :lol:

Have you started the steps or is that something you will do when you get to a face to face meeting?

Best wishes x
If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month -
Theodore Roosevelt
Niagara
Forums Old Timer

Postby ezdzit247 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:36 pm

Dane1965 wrote:Hello everyone *waving*. My name is Jan and I'm an alcoholic. I'm new to both AA and e-AA. After many years of on and off sobriety I now am 11 months sober. I have been looking into the various support groups over here (I'm a Dane). I've just finished the Big Book and am now considering going to my first ever meeting. :)

Hi Jan and welcome.

My name is Mary, I live in northern California, and I'm an alcoholic, too.

Congratulations on 11 months of sobriety. That's wonderful.... :wink:

looking forward to hearing more from you and how you liked your first ever AA meeting.

Keep coming back....
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby Dane1965 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:10 pm

Niagara wrote:Hello and welcome to both E-AA and AA Dane :)

That big book is never finished though :lol:

Have you started the steps or is that something you will do when you get to a face to face meeting?

Best wishes x

Hello, Niagara. Thank you so much for welcoming me. Your comment made me laugh out loud, you are, of course right, finished wasn't the right word. :lol:

Hello, Mary. Thank you for saying hi :)

About the Big Book. The weird thing is that some people I know who actually attend meetings in AA admit to never having read the Big Book, at least not all of it. I'm a book worm by nature, so basically if there's a book about it (whatever the it might be) I read it to try to form an idea and opinion.

I have also looked into Smart Recovery and LifeRing. Differences in approach and philosophies apart, the basic idea of addicts helping addicts is at the core of all of these. But, AA has something the others do not, at least not to the same extent, AA is there. Even in this rather small country there are meetings all over, every day. So I decided to put my initial discomfort at the religious language aside and embrace the program on its own terms. It's this process I'm in the middle of. If so many people benefit from AA, the programme must be doing something right, so I put my scepticism on hold and am jumping aboard.

I am still undecided how to approach and work the steps. Some I have done without knowing it, the one about making amends was one of the first things I did when I started getting my life back on track, without knowing it was a step in a programme. Reaching out to and talking with other addicts, too. Just not through AA. Yet. At least not IRL. I've joined this forum to get to know people in AA and to read about experiences about the programme and the steps.

Once more, many thanks for making me feel welcome. It means a lot to me.

Greetings from Copenhagen.

Jan.

P.S. English isn't my first language, I hope what I wrote above made sense.
Dane1965
Forums Newcomer

Postby PaigeB » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:24 pm

Welcome Jan! I haven't found it necessary to take a drink since Aug. 1, 2009 and I am grateful to AA for my sobriety and my sanity today! I am also an atheist though I never tried Smart Recovery or anything like it. I went to AA because I knew it was alive and well in my city and I wanted what they had! I didn't like the whole god bit but they told me it didn't matter. Most people now know I am atheist and it really appears that it does not matter! It sure doesn't matter to ME. I have an HP in the Worldwide Fellowship of AA. I go to AA to let go of my problems and find solutions.

Congrats on 11 months! I still get hinky around my anniversary date, so I hope you keep coming here for a daily maintenance of your spirit! It worked for me! I just picked up my chip a couple weeks ago and now it is back to the trudging, daily work that I must do to stay focused on recovery. This forum board has been a real treasure in helping me with that!

Keep coming back! Love sharing the journey with you!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Stepchild » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:33 pm

Welcome Jan...Your English is excellent and I want to say congratulations on 11 months of sobriety....How is that going for you? I'm a recovered alcoholic living in the US...My father's parents came to this country from Denmark. So I do have Danish blood. It makes me very happy to hear you have read the book...But as Niagra mentioned we are never done with the Big Book...It's a text book....It describes our problem and shows us exactly what the founders of AA did to recover from it. We do recover and the book gives us the directions.

You mentioned a few things I wanted to comment on.

The weird thing is that some people I know who actually attend meetings in AA admit to never having read the Big Book, at least not all of it.

You'll meet some people in AA that do absolutely nothing...They usually aren't around very long....There are some that don't even need to be there to begin with. But if you are the type of alcoholic that book describes...AA will work. This is a program that requires action on our part...And for myself...Digging into that book was the first thing I did.

You also said...

I have also looked into Smart Recovery and LifeRing. Differences in approach and philosophies apart, the basic idea of addicts helping addicts is at the core of all of these. But, AA has something the others do not, at least not to the same extent, AA is there. Even in this rather small country there are meetings all over, every day.

I don't know much about those other approaches...But there has to be a reason there are meetings everywhere and all the time. If I have a problem that is seriously threatening my health and well being...I'm going to give myself the best chance I can get to solve it.

I am still undecided how to approach and work the steps.

You already have started...You've read the directions....Now I'd suggest you get to some meetings....Try some different ones. You will meet some wonderful people that want to help you with this. Find someone...Same sex is recommended...That has done the steps...And ask them if they will show you how it's done as it is laid out in the book. It will change your life Jan...AA is not religious...I'm not a religious person. It is spiritual. There is a big difference. I try and live a spiritual life...It's a lot different than the life I lived while drinking. This is a program about change. Those steps will change you for the better. I'm glad you are here. Why not introduce yourself in the New Comers section? You are a new comer.
Stepchild
Forums Old Timer

Postby Lali » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:02 pm

Welcome, Jan! Congrats on 11 months - that is awesome! Please check out a f2f meeting and come back to tell us about it.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Do you need help finding A meeting in your area?
Step 1: I can't
Step 2: He can
Step 3: I think I'll let him
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Postby ann2 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:23 am

Welcome Jan :) I'm ann, living in Stockholm. Nice to meet you!

Glad you found us, hope you keep visiting :D

ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby clouds » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:03 am

Hi Jan, Welcome!

I live in France. Glad to have you aboard, e-AA has been a wonderful 'place' for me to come to. Its available every hour and that is good because there are no f2f AA meetings in my area.

We started a 12 Step Group in our home a few months ago and there are three of us. I'm the only alcoholic in the group, but we are all moving through the 12 steps and all sober from addictions because of it! There is so much hope in doing the steps.

Great you found us and wow, that there are so many meetings in Denmark!
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.
clouds
Trusted Servant

Return to Guest Book