new to e-AA

All visitors are invited to "sign" the guest book.

new to e-AA

Postby robreev » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:09 am

Hi,
My name is Robert and I can safely say that I am a grateful alcoholic, by working the steps I have changed my life for the better in a short period of time.
I have gained a higher power of my understanding and a new outlook on life, one day at a time.
robreev
Forums Newcomer

Re: new to e-AA

Postby Tosh » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:37 am

Welcome to the forum, Robert, nice to meet you.

Tosh (an alkie in the UK)
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby robreev » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:41 am

thank's for the welcome, It is good to have e-AA as well as my three weekly meetings.
robreev
Forums Newcomer

Postby Duke » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:00 am

Welcome Robert. You'll find a wide variety of experience here. Glad to have you join us.
"If you are humble nothing will touch you, neither praise nor disgrace, because you know what you are.", Mother Teresa
Duke
Forums Old Timer

Postby robreev » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:07 am

I don't think you can ever have to much AA input into your recovery, And thank's for the welcome.
robreev
Forums Newcomer

Postby Niagara » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:24 am

Hi and welcome Rob, good to have you here :)
If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month -
Theodore Roosevelt
Niagara
Forums Old Timer

Postby Tosh » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:29 am

Hi Robert,

where are you from and where (abouts) do you live?

I'm the nosey one here. :lol:
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby robreev » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:36 am

It will be good to be able to work the programme while at work and keep in contact with other AA's. I still have my meditation to keep me sane and my sponsor at a push, but this forum can sit there discreetly with words of wisdom while I deal with the non AA's
robreev
Forums Newcomer

Postby Tracy h » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:41 am

Hi, I know this is resurrecting an old post, but since I'm new too thought I'd weigh in and say quick hi. I'm also attending f2f meetings locally (here in NH for those "nosy"), but am happy for additional online connections and reinforcement. Looking forward to learning more about your path as another source of inspiration.
Tracy h
Forums Enthusiast

Postby ann2 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:32 am

Welcome Tracy! Glad you found us and thanks for posting! Please let us know if you have any questions or if there's anything we can help with :)

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby clouds » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:13 pm

Hi Tracy and Welcome!

Reading the book Alcoholics Anonymous gave me a life. I was young when I started drinking and so I hadn't matured in any ways most other young people did as I was dependent on alcohol instead of growing up. AA taught me how to live and I'm really grateful for it.

I hope you are finding the e-AA helpful.
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.
clouds
Trusted Servant

Postby PaigeB » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:26 pm

Welcome Tracy. I hope that you find what I have found with this Forum. It is a wonderful place to add to my f2f meetings and I get a "dose" of my AA anytime of the day or night that I need or want it!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Shadowrad » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:23 am

Congrats Robert.
I do not know where to start this online AA.
I do not know if I am an alcoholic. I do know that alcohol is a big problem in my life. I am a nurse and always get to work and make it thru after drinking too much. My problem is that if I am celebrating, stresses or angry I will buy only 2 small shooters of rum to go with my coke. That used to do it. Now even though I promise myself only those 2, I usually go back to the store for more. God forbid they only have larger bottles, I will drink it all even if I split it up into little left over bottles. My boyfriend thinks I waste $ on those little bottles that are so expensive. If there is a bigger one, or I am at a party then I drink so much that I cannot even remember the night before. TotLly embarSsing plus I feel aweful and waste an entire day recuperating. What worries me is that I am doing this way too often. I swear I will quit altogether the. I don't. I do it again. I feel that it is getting worse. A couple of weeks ago on one of my trips back to the store only a 1/2 mile away I side swiped the railing. Now I have a big s ratchet to look at. It scares me to think that I have no power after 2 and I could kill someone with my car. Usually I stay home when I drink so. E I am a nurse in the community and do not want others to see meiike this. That is why I am online as well.
I started reading the BB and thinking about doing the steps as I feel I am on the. We've of destruction. It has been 5 days since I was enebriated. What do you suggest? Should I do AA?
Shadowrad
Forums Newcomer

Postby Niagara » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:43 pm

Shadowrad wrote: Now even though I promise myself only those 2, I usually go back to the store for more. God forbid they only have larger bottles, I will drink it all even if I split it up into little left over bottles.

hi Shadowrad and welcome

this is the physical craving aspect of alcoholism. i used to swear i'll only have one or two tonight, but by the time those one or two were done, I had to have more. Didn't want to, but it happened anyway. Normal drinkers do not do this. I usually drank until I passed out/blacked out...unless it ran out and no more was available.

When I tried to stop, life was hard. I just didn't know how to get by without drinking, feeling the way I did. In my periods of abstinence, I was anxious/depressed/overwhelmed by life...and my mind would tell me the only way to feel better was to take a drink. It worked for a while too...i did feel better...but it all spiraled into a nightmare of remorse and shame. For this reason, simply stopping was not an option for me...I would always go back to it. I could stop, I just couldn't STAY stopped - because life was unbearable when not drinking. I didn't fit in. Square peg, round hole.

I loved my kids dearly, but even the power that had, knowing i shouldn't drink, knowing I was not going to be able to make sure they were clean and tidy for school, knowing I wouldn't be able to get them up on time - even that power wasn't enough to keep me off it. Alcohol was too strong for me. powerless to stop.

I found my solution here in AA. Through the steps, I am learning to live sober - and honestly I love it. I'm not miserable, I'm not fighting the urge to drink constantly, i'm not anxious and scared anymore - in fact I enjoy socializing and considering 18 months ago I was agoraphobic, that's a massive thing for me. This program is such a gift, I urge you to give it a try. Alcohol isn't the answer to getting by in life for me, anymore - the steps are. And I am far happier because of that.

I can't diagnose you as alcoholic though - first learn what this disease is (because it IS a disease, not weakness) and if you decide you are one of us, the next step would be to perhaps find a face to face meeting, a sponsor, and work the steps for all you're worth :)

I know a lot of people are put off by the spiritual aspect of the program. It need not be scary. I firmly believe now (as sceptical as I was at the start) that this is indeed a spiritual problem - follows that it needs a spiritual solution. When we get into that spiritual solution through the steps, the mental and the physical fall into place.

So, how did I diagnose myself as alcoholic? I read the first few chapters of the big book (the doctors opinion, there is a solution,more about alcoholism, how it works) . I listened to speaker tapes (google XA speakers) ones I can highly recommend are joe and charlie, and Chris R. I read peoples posts on here, and I listened at meetings. I couldn't identify with most of the drinking stories, but what I could identify with was the 'once I start, I can't stop. When I do stop, I'm irritable, restless and discontent, and my mind tells me the only way to feel better is to take a drink. Eventually my mind will win, I'll drink, and then once I start, i can't stop, comes back into play...and so on'. Towards the end of my drinking, my mind was winning out, faster and faster. This disease gets worse, never better, over time.

Best wishes - if I can be of any help at all, feel free to pm :)
If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month -
Theodore Roosevelt
Niagara
Forums Old Timer

Return to Guest Book