New to the forums, but not new to e-AA

All visitors are invited to "sign" the guest book.

New to the forums, but not new to e-AA

Postby PossumFan » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:42 pm

Hi y'all. My name is Madeline, I'm 22 years old, and I'm an alcoholic. I live in a small town in North Louisiana called Quitman. It's about a 15 min. drive from town and there are no AA's in town. My parents don't know I'm an alcoholic yet they're right there in front of me. I drink to get drunk. I don't know how not to. I'm sick of who I have become. Ready for a 360 of my soul. I've been on the email list for a good while, but only just found the forums the other day. :)
PossumFan
Forums Newcomer

Re: New to the forums, but not new to e-AA

Postby Niagara » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:24 am

Hi Madeline, and welcome to the forums :)

I don't know how not to

The solution I found in the pages of the Big book - the 12 steps that AA offers. Any other way just didn't work as this has, for anything but a limited period of time (and I was miserable during it, without realizing why...stopped drinking, should be ok, right?)

I can highly recommend getting to a face to face meeting, even if it means travelling to do so. This thing is a lot easier when we have contact with other alcoholics who understand how it all works and perhaps more importantly, how WE work. Stops me feeling different, when ten other people nod their heads and say 'aye, did that/thought that'.

I was sick of who I'd become too. Sick and tired of being sick and tired. It's not that way anymore, 11 months down the line and 12 steps later. I learned through those steps to deal with life in a different way...do different things, you get different results, and I'm just at the very start really. The future no longer looks bleak, and that can be true for you too :)

Hope to see you around :)
If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month -
Theodore Roosevelt
Niagara
Forums Old Timer

Postby PaigeB » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:32 am

I know I sure didn't see a way out! AA was the last house on the block for me... Oh there are a couple of treatment centers in my city, but I knew if I wanted anything long term, I would have to get to AA. I knew people that AA had helped live long periods of time without a drink or drug of any kind.

If you want to, you can click on my name and got to my profile, then click on "send private message" I can help you find meetings or AA contacts. I will look up "Quitman" (I don't want to make a joke but what a great name for an AA Meeting - The Quit Man Meeting!) My mom used to live in Monroe... not too far. Give 'em a call and see what they have to offer!

Keep coming - we have a lot to offer here and we'd be really happy to give it to you!.

NE Louisiana
District 4
P.O. Box 5063
Monroe, LA 71210-5063
(318)325-4414
---
(800)371-4017
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby desypete » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:35 am

hi Madeline

i was 18 when i first contacted aa as my drinking was causeing me trouble, but i was in my head to young to be an alcoholic, in my head an alcoholic is a tramp out on the streets, drinking meths and i was nothing like that YET!

my problem was that when i took a drink i would end up drunk as skunk, now all my mates would be doing the same to at such a young age but they never behaved like i did and whats more they were the ones who would carry me home, how could they go out drinking and be able to care for me ? why didnt they end up drunk as skunk like i ended up ?

anyway my drinking would very often land me in big trouble, from either a fight or i would tell people what i really think of them all sorts of embarrassing things i would never do if i was sober, but when i would wake up the next day i would be full of fear, or terror is the right word, trying to remember what i did last night, the guild shame and remorse i would have was huge, i would swear off the drink and mean it

only to find in time i would be right back out there having another try at controlled drinking

anyway i ended up in aa at just 23 and in the fellowship i found a lot of people who were far worse than i was as they had been locked up in mental wards, they have been drinking everyday the needed a drink to stop them from shaking in the mornings they were far worse than me but one thing they made me come to believe in is the small word of YET

i was not like them yet but if i carreid on drinking they way i was then one day i would end up just like them, and i could see what they said was really true as they were once i like was, they were young at one time, they drank like i did at one time but for them they carried on and ended up paying a bigger price for it as the drink cost them more and more.

so i can only hope you can find your answers in the rooms of aa and i know its hard for the young to come in to a room full of old farts and feel like there in the right place but hopefully you will hear others share in the rooms of what it was like for them when they were young as i knew one old guy who used to share at me when i was in my 20s and he was angry in his share, i thought he was angry at me but i came to understand now that what he was angry at was the fact he drank until he was in his 60s and caused so much hurt and harm to people in his life, that what i shown him was that he was an alcoholic when he was young and he wished he could of only been in my shoes and got off the drink at such a young age.

anyway i get told off on here as i fill up page after page as i can never know when to shut up once i open my gob, its the same problem i had with drinking, once i take that first one i can not stop, lol so i guess i will have to learn to not say that first word :D
desypete
Forums Contributor

Postby ezdzit247 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:19 pm

PossumFan wrote:Hi y'all. My name is Madeline, I'm 22 years old, and I'm an alcoholic. I live in a small town in North Louisiana called Quitman. It's about a 15 min. drive from town and there are no AA's in town. My parents don't know I'm an alcoholic yet they're right there in front of me. I drink to get drunk. I don't know how not to. I'm sick of who I have become. Ready for a 360 of my soul. I've been on the email list for a good while, but only just found the forums the other day. :)

Hi Madeline and welcome.

There are many AA meetings in northern Louisiana in or near the towns of Bossier City, Minden, Monroe, West Monroe, Leesville, Natchitoches, Vidalia, Winnsboro, & Manfield, Which is the closest to you for driving?

Keep coming back.....
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby PossumFan » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:46 pm

The closest would be Monroe, but the thing is I still live with my parents, so that would very complicated.
PossumFan
Forums Newcomer

Postby ezdzit247 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:44 am

PossumFan wrote:The closest would be Monroe, but the thing is I still live with my parents, so that would very complicated.

That works really well. Monroe has about 5-6 different meetings every day, including a young peoples meeting on Saturday mornings. Good selection for you. There's also an Alano Club located at 3217 Concordia Ave in Monroe if you want to drop by for a cup of coffee or soda and meet some other AA members, The phone number is 318 323-6661 and clubs are usually open from 6 am to midnight daily. The number for the AA helpline in Ouachita Parrish is 318 325-4414. I really recommend that you call the helpline number and ask to speak to a sober female AA member. It is very very helpful for newcomers to connect and talk with an AA member who can answer questions about drinking and the AA's recovery program in general. If you need a ride to meetings, there's always someone in AA who is available to help.

I totally understand that you're not ready to discuss your drinking concerns with your parents and you don't have to unless and until you are comfortable with having that conversation. None of my family or friends knew anything about my drinking and I didn't tell anyone I was going to AA for quite a while. I didn't lie to anyone--I just didn't tell anyone everything I knew or everywhere I went. I protected my own right to privacy until I was ready to discuss it. AA is anonymous program and we protect each other's anonymity. Who is seen in meetings, what is said in meetings, what other members see or hear in meetings stays in the meetings and is not discussed outside the meetings.

Keep coming back...
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Return to Guest Book