alcohol free beers/largers

All visitors are invited to "sign" the guest book.

Re: alcohol free beers/largers

Postby IllustratedMum » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:02 pm

Thanks, Chris...I appreciate that. So far so good, as I said, but I hear so much about relapse and I'm nervous that I'm in some honeymoon-period of being proud and that eventually I will become bored with the not-so-new sobriety, lose the pride of being sober and fall off the wagon. I know they say "get a sponsor and go to meetings", but I can't. I have too much social anxiety and the mental stress would push me over the deep end!! That's why I came here, hoping to find people to talk to about this stuff.
IllustratedMum
Forums Enthusiast

Postby chrisgeb77 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:23 pm

Your exactly the same as me I have social phobia to .so not good speaking up in public that's one of the reasons I drank I have only been on here since the weekend my self message me any time
chrisgeb77
Forums Enthusiast

Postby chrisgeb77 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:28 pm

All you gotta remember is one drink is never enough we or me at least can't just have one its never enough
chrisgeb77
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Niagara » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:38 pm

IllustratedMum wrote:Thanks, Chris...I appreciate that. So far so good, as I said, but I hear so much about relapse and I'm nervous that I'm in some honeymoon-period of being proud and that eventually I will become bored with the not-so-new sobriety, lose the pride of being sober and fall off the wagon. I know they say "get a sponsor and go to meetings", but I can't. I have too much social anxiety and the mental stress would push me over the deep end!! That's why I came here, hoping to find people to talk to about this stuff.

I had a similar problem. Previous to coming to AA, I was housebound through agoraphobia, having what felt like a hundred panic attacks a day, not sleeping, or eating, and I was at suicidal breaking point.

I learned early on that I had to be willing to go to any lengths for sobriety......and that meant facing that fear and getting to meetings. It also meant, for me, getting a sponsor, and getting on with those 12 steps. Without the steps, the only thing that had changed was that I wasn't pouring booze down my neck. If nothing changes, nothing changes, and had I not done the steps, I wouldn't have been able to maintain my sobriety. I have no doubts whatsoever about that. Doing the same things I was doing when I was drunk, would have led to me doing the same thing and drinking again, regardless of how much pride I had about being sober.

It's not easy sometimes. Change never is, when your life is ruled by fear. Fear of staying the same, and fear of things changing. Without doing the stuff I have to do, as directed in the big book, I am defenseless against the first drink.

A little over six months ago, I would drink on anything. A good day, a bad day, an ok day, an argument with a child or spouse, a bill coming through. I had no choice, I was powerless.

The steps give me some form of defense. I can't claim to understand it - but I don't need to understand electricity to be able to use it either.

I've had a pretty horrific week. The breakdown of my marriage, as it stands. My youngest son wanting to go live with his father. The loss of a hefty chunk of income, when already my budget is very tight, plus a health issue that I won't go into on here. All of that, and I didn't need to drink. Even though this stuff is painful, and I don't feel very good about any of it, I haven't needed to drink.
Frankly, I'm still amazed about that, because as I said, it would only have taken the tiniest thing not even 7 months ago to have me getting drunk again, despite me having the best of intentions not to.

Things can get better. I no longer have that constant battle going on in my head of 'want a drink, can't have a drink, can I have a drink, no I can't, maybe I can' and so on. The way to get better is the 12 steps, and living them in your everyday life.
Even though life isn't always rosy, as I shared above, I can deal with it in a saner fashion these days it seems. It's this program that's done this. Not me, or my own willpower. Me and my own willpower, though well intentioned as I saw it, only led to me getting drunk, over and over.
If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month -
Theodore Roosevelt
Niagara
Forums Old Timer

Postby ann2 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:40 pm

Thanks for your share Niagara, I really needed to read that. I'm so sorry all this is happening but so grateful you are here.

Big hugs,

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby IllustratedMum » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:43 am

Dear Niagara...I am also so sorry you've had to deal with such tremendous stress in your life recently. I am in awe of you, and grateful you've shown that there is a clear path ahead through times of turmoil. Thank you.
IllustratedMum
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Sally » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:55 am

i was taught early on- if i am drinking water in a wine glass- or ginger ale in a champagne glass- i have not accepted
my disease- i am playing games- and game playing was a big part of my drinking MO- fake beer??? it's a *pretense that i want to be a sober person*-
Step 1- powerlessness- is the only step we all do 100%- if we are indeed on the road to sobriety. my opinion only of course.
Sally
Sally
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Blue Moon » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:50 am

chrisgeb77 wrote:I bought a pack of these this week end do you think these are a gateway to relapse?

If you need to ask, it may not be a good idea. Alcohol is only part of the alcoholic problem, and quite a small part. The bigger part is the mind. Look to your motives ... what motivates you to buy NA beer?

I avoided even grape juice in early sobriety. Nothing to do with alcohol content in grape juice, everything to do with my possible motives for drinking it alcoholically.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby Blue Moon » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:36 am

Lali wrote:Beverages sold as "Non-alcoholic beer" actually contain 3 to 5% alcohol.

Real beer is normally between 4% and 6%. To be called NA, a beer must be <0.5%.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Guest Book