Introduction from Me

All visitors are invited to "sign" the guest book.

Introduction from Me

Postby TIM74 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:25 pm

Hello all,

I don;t have a lot to say at this moment but I believe if I have registered to the forum, I must be looking for assistance, advice or a way to quit drinking. I don't want to take a lot of time out of anyones lives (right now anyways), but I've been reading some of the posts and that's a starting point. As for me? I've been fairly a functional alcoholic for the past 20years however in the past several months it's been getting out of control to the point I realize and I want to do something about it. I hate to say this but it's Football Sunday and a lot of my drinking from earlier days began from that plus other things such as being overseas for almost a half of my life (not in places I would recommend.) Anyways, I'm Tim and I am hoping someone can give me the advice, insight to begin tomorrow to stop drinking. Just for info, my drink of choice is beer and it takes me quite a bit to get "buzzed"; I don;t believe I get drunk anymore however I would never drive after having any more than one beer. Any assistance or help you can provide is appreciated. Thanks.
TIM74
Forums Enthusiast

Re: Introduction from Me

Postby ann2 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:06 pm

Welcome Tim :) so glad to hear from you. I didn't know what to do either, but a friend I confided in offered to take me to a meeting of Alcoholics Anonymous. When I drank the night before the meeting I knew I was desperate for help. I found the help in the meeting, partly through hearing my own life in the stories AA members shared about their own drinking, partly through starting my journey through taking the 12 steps.

You could look up the number for Alcoholics Anonymous in your phone book and give it a call. The person who answers will be just like me, another person who got help in AA and wants to pass it on. The call is confidential and anonymous.

My online group offers a list of reading links that help explain AA here www.e-aa.org/about_aa.php Check out some of the pamphlets for a quick study and dive into our basic text, the Big Book we call it,what we use as a guidebook for life without alcohol.

Keep reading and posting here -- it's great to have you! :)

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby TIM74 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:51 pm

Thank you Ann
TIM74
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Lali » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:14 pm

Welcome, Tim! We all help one another here and we are more than happy to do so. You found us here and Ann has given you information for you to look into online AA and face to face meetings in your area. Do you have any other questions at this point about either AA or e-aa that we can help you with? Have you had any exposure to AA prior to now?
Step 1: I can't
Step 2: He can
Step 3: I think I'll let him
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Postby Angie W » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:14 am

Hi Tim and welcome,

My sober date is May 4th, 2012. On my 2 year cake I had written; Be humble, Be honest, and Be helpful. Be humble n sit listen to those who came before you, Be honest with yourself n with others, Be helpful n pass what you've learned onto others.

I live each day in gratitude and acceptance. Find a home group and sponser right away. I find the best meetings for me have door greeters, people with long-term sobriety, a few people who aren't afraid to speak their mind and tell you how it is, and of course good coffee.

I also find that throughout the day the Serenity Prayer applies to something that you are going thru. We all have our daily struggles always remember this too shall pass and it works if you work it :)

Angie W
Angie W
Forums Newcomer

Return to Guest Book