Hi, I'm new here from London

All visitors are invited to "sign" the guest book.

Hi, I'm new here from London

Postby scully » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:01 pm

Dear all,

I have just started my journey of soberity.

I'm 35 years old and have constantly been the joke of the party.

I have a drink problem like us all on this site and have taken great strength from you guys sharing your journey.

I've managed 6 days without a drink and now it's Friday night and I find myself lonely and not knowing what to do with myself.

Usually I would be out at the pub well on my way to getting drunk, I never know when to stop and recently have experienced black outs, it's the shock of finding out from friends and family my actions whilst being drunk.

I keep asking myself why can't I be like my friends know when to not have the next drink , I've also become a nasty drunk , one minute I'm fine the next I switch.

I really am fortunate that I am still here to tell my story.

I'm looking forward to experiencing the joy of soberity however it's going to be very lonely what do I do with my weekend. I've had to tell my friends I'm unwell and can't come out. My close friends know I'm having to stop the drink but I just don't know what to do with myself.

How does one make a new life, new friends , new hobbies ?

I'm feeling totally lost and lonely.
scully
Forums Newcomer

Re: Hi, I'm new here from London

Postby ann2 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:40 pm

Hi and welcome! You're doing just what we all do when starting this journey -- seek others in the same situation :) You've found us online -- I wonder if there are AA groups meeting near you?

At first it's so new that it's hard to believe the comfort and comradeliness we've found with other AA members. But even when there's nobody there you've met before, the people sharing always seem to touch a part of me. It's honesty, and that's magic.

Look up the number for Alcoholics Anonymous in London, give them a call, and see if they can recommend a meeting near you.

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby scully » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:33 pm

Thank you Ann ,

I have looked up some meetings and shall start to attend meetings in my local area.

Is it normal to be nervous about attending the first meeting, I don't know what to expect but I'm sure it will be fine once I've built up the courage to actually walk into the meeting.

Several times this week I have been on my way to a meeting and then got nervous and not attended. Starbucks have done very well from me this week as I always end up in Starbucks, on a positive note at least it hasn't been the pub.
scully
Forums Newcomer

Postby avaneesh912 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:57 pm

Is it normal to be nervous about attending the first meeting, I don't know what to expect but I'm sure it will be fine once I've built up the courage to actually walk into the meeting.

Absolutely. We medicate our condition with booze. Once we put it down all sorts of discomfort creeps in. I had to have minimum of 6 pack to talk in front of people, but today, because of working the 12 steps of AA, I don't have to drink to be in a crowd.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby harry71 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:05 pm

Welcome Scully, yes it's normal to be nervous. Every body at the meeting is there for the same thing-to find a way to stop drinking and stay stopped. Come on in and you will find a fellow ship like no other.
God Keeps Me Sober AA Keeps Me Asking
harry71
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Lali » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:35 pm

Welcome, Scully! So glad to have you with us. Yes, the first meeting is scary for most but once you get it behind you, you will be glad you did.. So you had 6 days last Friday (AWESOME!) and I hope you are still around. We don't always notice this "Guest" Forum as much as we do the Newcomers forum. But congrats on however much sober time you have today. If you haven't already done so, please stick around and post in some of the other threads here and feel free to ask any questions you may have!
Step 1: I can't
Step 2: He can
Step 3: I think I'll let him
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Return to Guest Book