Hello from Russia

All visitors are invited to "sign" the guest book.

Hello from Russia

Postby Babochka » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:53 am

Нi everybody. My name is Olga i am an alcoholic.
I've just registered and honestly i dont know where to start here. I need help.
Im from Russia St-Petersburg. I started drinking from my 13teen... i didnt drink very often i've just wanted to have some fun and to feel more confident. I went to parties and i thought that im very ugly girl and i when i drank i felt like bacome different, beutifull etc. It became easier to talk to boys. Now im 29.. Soon i will become 30. Only 2 month ago i understood that i have big problem with drinking. Honestly drinking is spoiling my life. You know, i've finished university i am a medical doctor. I have my own small appartment in very nice area, im still same healthy and maybe beautifull but i am an alcoholic. I lost control of my life. I always loved drinking a lot and it never bothered me. But now i understand and i am completely along. And this lonliness is killing me. I want to have a family, i want to have children.. but noone will ever stay with alcoholic if he is not crazy. So i went to rehab 2 month ago to House of Hope center in St. Petersburg, Russia founded by Louis Francis Bantle maybe you know him. Since then im visiting goups in my city and i really want to fix my life and recover. Im here to find more friends and to learn stories of people who managed to survive. Cause i really want too. I want to be nice, beautifull and healthy, to becom good wife and mother and to be always a good doctor cause i lreally love my job.
Thank you everybody who will read me here! and sorry for my english
Babochka
Forums Newcomer

Re: Hello from Russia

Postby Niagara » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:10 am

Hello Olga

Your English is absolutely fine (in fact, that was better written than a lot of English people can manage :lol: )

I have no recovery story for you I'm afraid. I'm only a few days in myself, but it's nice to meet you and look forward to getting to know you :)
If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month -
Theodore Roosevelt
Niagara
Forums Old Timer

Postby Peter.H. » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:24 am

Hello Babochka.
Welcome to the forum.
Hope you will keep going to your AA meetings, find a sponsor, and continue with the 12 step program.

I am not a doctor, but have a degree in Health Science and Rehabilitation Counselling. I mention this because academia can get in the way of recovery. It did with me for awhile.
You will find that alcoholics recover by incorporating a lifestyle which requires bus to be honest with ourselves, and to others, through spiritual concepts.
This is very different from the usually accepted medical and psychological methodologies.
Please do not let your academic knowledge get in the way of your recovery.

Recovery by regular meetings of AA helps us to stay humble enough to see the truth about our mental disorder - alcoholism.
Why humility? Because one of the primary symptoms of alcoholism is delusions of grandeur. And we do not have to drink to be effected by it. Humility counteracts pride.
An old saying: "If we take the alcohol away from a fruitcake, we still have a fruitcake".

Babochka, I hope your good dreams will come true.
"...unless this person can experience an entire psyche change there is very little hope of his recovery" - Dr. Silkworth. [Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Ed, p xxix.]
Peter.H.
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Squawking Hawk » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:02 pm

WElcome Olga, glad to read you here. Hope you keep going to meetings and please keep sharing.

Hawk
Ms. Hawk

I will never forget
Squawking Hawk
Forums Old Timer

Postby Babochka » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:22 am

Hello dear Niagara!
Happy for you that you started new life! hope we will recover together! :D
Hi Hawk! Glad to meet you!
Hi Peter H!
Thank you very much for your words. I know what you talking about. When i was at rehab they told be that doctors are the most difficult patients. I left all my knowledge at working place and opened my heard to the program. I found sponsor we r working on 1 step BBSS, reading Big Book. And I'm visiting AA groups.
Today i'm 2 month sober thanks God and AA!
The thing is that in Russia we have community, but i really want to know how it works in USA. I will try to read Big Book in english. Thats why I'm here :D And soon one guy is coming here to speak Bob D. Do you know him?
Babochka
Forums Newcomer

Postby ann2 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:45 am

Welcome Babochka and congratulations! 2 months is outstanding! I'm an American living in Sweden and I've also attended AA meetings in Finland and Estonia. Every region has its quirks but no one place has the best way to get sober, at least that's what I've concluded. My online home group e-AA got me to do my step 4 & the steps that followed and has provided a great environment for learning how to apply to principles of AA to my life so it has a special place in my heart.

As a moderator I initialized the last name of your speaker so that we can protect his anonymity -- this is a world-readable website. Hope that's okay.

Would love to read more from you about your experiences getting sober where you are -- thanks for joining us here!

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby Squawking Hawk » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:33 am

Babochka, I am sorry I don't know the gentlemen that you are referring to. I am glad that you are here and look forward to reading more from you. Congratulations on two months!! :-D

Hawk
Ms. Hawk

I will never forget
Squawking Hawk
Forums Old Timer

Postby ezdzit247 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:40 pm

Hi Olga

Welcome and congratulations on two months sober!
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Return to Guest Book