it's me saying hello

All visitors are invited to "sign" the guest book.

it's me saying hello

Postby Martinnonalc » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:03 pm

Since I decided to join this forum earlier this week, I feel I need to introduce myself briefly.
My name is Martin, I am an alcoholic. I have quit drinking about 10 months ago. I visited an AA meeting on my third day of sobriety and have visited the weekly meetings since then. My AA group is rather non-typical and the steps are not worked through thoroughly.
As I feel I need to grow more strength to stay sober I am planning to start working the steps and see what comes up from that.
Try. Fail. Try again. Fail better.
Martinnonalc
Forums Newcomer

Re: it's me saying hello

Postby Brock » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:47 pm

Martin, many people when they first join are advised to go to 90 meetings in 90 days, I don’t hold much store in that myself, but at least it gives the person an opportunity to visit several groups. The idea is to find a group which suits you best, where you feel most comfortable, where the members talk and act like they both know, and are interested in discussing the steps. From what you say you have gone to one meeting a week, at a group that is not step orientated. You are either very lucky to still be sober, or are doing so by what is referred to as “white knuckling it.” Which to me translates as catching your behind, and this is not what AA is about. The difference in living without the program, (steps), and living while practicing it are like night and day, and if sometimes you hear a member say they are glad they are alcoholic, because it introduced them to a great way of living, the person is not exaggerating.

Look for that meeting, if you see and hear someone that makes you feel you would like to be more like him discuss it and ask if he would assist you, for AA members it is generally an honor to be asked, you are helping him practice his 12th step. Think about asking if you can assist with any of the group chores you see people doing, this gives us a feeling of belonging, and breaks the ice with other group members. This disease is described as cunning, without the power of the program behind you the 10 months you have are no defense, and you are missing out on the “happy” part of sobriety, all the best to you.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Duke » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:02 am

Welcome Martin. Sounds like a good plan. I hope to hear more from you.
"If you are humble nothing will touch you, neither praise nor disgrace, because you know what you are.", Mother Teresa
Duke
Forums Old Timer

Postby positrac » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:27 am

As suggested 90 meetings in 90 days as this is due diligence on your part and you may start to see a change in yourself. Go to different meetings and look at the areas of step meetings and Big Book related meetings as well as open discussion.

As we went through many lengths to get drunk we should consider this for active sobriety. I believe your willingness will be the foundation for your path forward.

Be well.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby clouds » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:41 am

Hi martinnonalc,

Congratulations on your 10 months of sobriety. Welcome to e-aa!
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.
clouds
Trusted Servant

Postby Niagara » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:58 am

Hello and welcome - congrats on 10 months.

The steps have given me not only the strength to say sober - my experience has been if I do this right, I don't NEED strength to stay sober. Alcohol ceases to be on the radar. I have also found a strength to deal with other matters in life, and to change my life for the better...from the inside out of course :)

Hope to see you around!
If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month -
Theodore Roosevelt
Niagara
Forums Old Timer

Return to Guest Book