Hi from West Chester, PA

All visitors are invited to "sign" the guest book.

Hi from West Chester, PA

Postby Zac » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:01 pm

Just found this forum earlier today, looks great and full of information to reflect on daily. I don't always have the opportunity to attend local meetings because my wife and I both work and share parental duties with our two little guys. I've been searching for online meetings with some success but haven't found many yet with a wide variety of times. This seems like a great place to expand my sober horizons via the web, pumped I found it and look forward to being an active member.

Thanks!

Zac-

*Edit 2 hours later...Sorry, only had a brief moment to step away from the kiddos earlier, 2 boys (3 and 1 yrs. handful to say the least)

In early October of this year I completed a 30 day in patient rehab and within 8 hours of being home I relapsed and went on a two day "run." It was heartbreaking to say the least for both myself and all the "normies" in my life because it was all so fresh and shocking for everyone that I was an alcoholic. I was a heavy closet drinker for the year leading up to the rehab and previously a decade of social drinking.

I was able to string together a few weeks of sobriety after that but once again stumbled (no pun) on yet another night and again 3 nights ago. I understand alcoholism is a disease and sometimes diseases just don't make sense. For the life of me I couldn't explain to anyone why it happened aside from the good old "I'm an alcoholic" which is now just sounding like lip service to some. I have been attending meetings (3-4 per week) since rehab and enjoy some of them but dread going to others and have yet to meet a sponsor from any of the meetings I do enjoy. I have the big book, 12 steps and 12 traditions and have also been, in spite of the road bumps, been working the steps at meetings and at night.

I do want to be sober, for my family and for myself. I'm treating my mistakes as opportunities to learn, grow and stay sober and again I'm happy I found this forum.

Thanks

Zac-
Last edited by Zac on Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zac
Forums Newcomer

Re: Hi from West Chester, PA

Postby TonyWARMS » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:47 pm

Welcome, Zac
I found this site the same way. I was just looking for some info on the program, and next thing I know I'm looking at this.
You didn't say if you have been around the program before, so if I give information you are already aware of, apologies.
Check out the Big Book (Alcoholics Anonymous), and look around the site for all the different places.
You can dive right in, and get started right away. And you can even ask for a temporary sponsor to help get you going with step work.

Peace, Tony
"Nothing comes to stay. Everything comes to pass".
(I don't know where I heard this)
TonyWARMS
Forums Long Timer

Postby Zac » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:25 pm

Hey Tony,

Yeah, I edited a couple more paragraphs in later giving some of the details of my path thus far. Started typing an hour ago and got interrupted a couple times.

Thanks

Zac-
Zac
Forums Newcomer

Postby TonyWARMS » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:47 pm

Cool.
Those that think you are giving them lip service, just don't know the full story.
There is a lot of misconception, and misunderstanding out there about the disease.
I didn't understand it until I went into treatment, and found that, if we start young enough (13, for me), it will " re-wire" our brains , because they aren't fully formed yet..
That we know we are not doing the right thing, and yet we do it anyway is all the evidence I needed to hear to know I needed to change.
Stick with it, and thanks for the help.

Peace, Tony
"Nothing comes to stay. Everything comes to pass".
(I don't know where I heard this)
TonyWARMS
Forums Long Timer

Postby ann2 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:36 am

I love this place as a resource because AA is as fresh as the guy next to you, and here I am sitting next to some really great sobriety.

Zac, I got the children/work situation going on here as well. Thanks to this online group I got pushed and joked and prodded into taking the steps and the results were astonishing.

So glad you're here.

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Return to Guest Book