Hello from Duluth, MN

All visitors are invited to "sign" the guest book.

Hello from Duluth, MN

Postby BillF » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:41 pm

Found this site not long ago, and I really appreciate it. I've been sober for quite a while, and like most of us I still struggle with myself. One of the things I love about the sober life is there's always something more to learn, always new people to meet, always progress to be made. One of my favorite parts of the Big Book, and the part that changed my life (meaning I was never the same after reading it), begins on page 20: "You may have already asked yourself why it is that all of us became so very ill from drinking..." This let me know that (1) I am not alone, (2) being an alcoholic is not my fault any more than having cancer would be, and (3) there is hope. Thanks for listening!
BillF
Forums Newcomer

Re: Hello from Duluth, MN

Postby Lali » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:02 pm

Welcome, Bill. Glad to have you with us!
Step 1: I can't
Step 2: He can
Step 3: I think I'll let him
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Postby ann2 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:03 am

Hi Bill, thanks for that great quote, great way to start my morning here in Sweden

Glad you found us and hope to hear more!

BTW, I believe we passed by Duluth on our Christmas vacation in Lutzen a long time ago. Hubby and I were living in Florida and it was a great break for him to be in the Swedish culture. I even took him to a julsmorgasbord with lutfisk! Which he didn't eat of course but I think it helped with the homesickness.

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby chefchip » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:40 am

Bill,

Glad you are here. Yep, there is always more to learn and definitely always more progress to be made. This board is like attending a new meeting for me. Right now I am spending time reading lots of very old threads. It is amazing the wisdom and hope that is out there in the "old stuff!" Keep on keeping on, my friend.

Chip

PS - Ann, does ANYONE really eat lutfisk? :lol:
The only constant in life is change.
chefchip
Forums Old Timer

Postby ann2 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:44 am

Again welcome Bill!

Chip, I like it. But for most Swedes it's just some weird tradition. Like that fermented fish they eat in August, surstömming or "Sour herring" which apparently smells horrible. From the Swedish news in English website The Local --
For many, surströmming is known as one of the most offensive delicacies in the world, rivaling other objectionable treats like southeast Asia's durian fruit or Norway's lutefisk. The foul odour comes from a cocktail of different bacteria that produce carbon dioxide and numerous other compounds. These conspire to create a smell similar to rotten eggs mixed with rancid butter and vinegar. A website dedicated to odd foodstuffs describes the delicacy as "the foulest-smelling food you can ever imagine."
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby Brock » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:56 am

Bill said “there’s always something more to learn,” and this is the sort of thinking I love to hear in AA, so many in my area are satisfied just knowing enough to stay sober, when in truth the more we learn the better we feel. My first few years I did the same thing, this actually changed when I joined this site, I liked the signature Ann uses about father Ed, and set out to find out what I could about him. Up to then I had no idea that the www had so much information, on all things and people in our fellowship. In a meeting last week I spoke about father Ed and sister Ignatia, and mentioned that I had photos of them on my computer, which is true, I said I used to have naked ladies on the computer, and now I have nuns and priests, this is also true, but I sometimes give too much information, and an elderly lady got upset and said I was rude, anyway I apologized and all was OK.

Tomorrow at my home group, the intergroup is sending a representative to give a workshop on tradition 11, this is part of the yearly “traditions month.” I have tried; I suspect I wasted my time; to ask other members to think of things they may ask or contribute to the workshop. For the most part I got a blank stare from those I asked, and some said “what for.” So tomorrow I expect a repeat of last year, the fellow will give his presentation, then ask for comments or questions, and a deathly silence will envelop the room. Then I will break the silence and make pertinent comments, and try to get others involved. And all it took was a couple of hours this weekend, and I read about Rollie H. baseball player who broke his anonymity in 1940, Marty Mann in 45, (not really her fault), Bill himself being very tempted before sales of the book took off, and the same father Ed getting him back on track. Lillian Roth whose book “I’ll Cry Tomorrow,” in 1954 was a major break of the tradition, the film of the same name in 1955 added to the problem. For those who get TCM, (Turner Classic Movies), this movie will air next Monday eastern time 3.45pm. It stars Susan Hayward and was a major movie in its day, shows what AA meetings at the time were like, and won a couple of awards. Sorry for rambling on, but when you are interested in AA, these sort of things are fun to learn, and for me increases the pleasure I get living the AA way.

God bless all who contribute.
Brock.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby ann2 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:15 am

That is so cool Brock. I like your sig line too! For what it's worth, there ARE a bunch of us who get really worked up over the traditions, and it's been my privilege to meet them online. Sometimes i wonder if being forced to go online for fellowship,and guidance in the steps, as happened when I lived in Finland, wasn't the best thing that could have happened as far as my spiritual growth goes.

Ann
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby kathywho77 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:11 pm

Welcome Bill. I have a lot of family that lives in MN
kathywho77
Forums Enthusiast

Return to Guest Book