Greetings from Kentucky

All visitors are invited to "sign" the guest book.

Greetings from Kentucky

Postby chefchip » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:03 am

Hello, all...

I just registered and wanted to say hello. I probably should have done this before I posted replies to a few topics that caught my eye! :roll:

Anyway, my name is Chip. I'm a chef. Hence the user name. I am a member of AA in the great state of Kentucky, USA. I won't bore you with my story. However, I will tell you that I own a new business and work a LOT of hours a week. Fortunately, I do have time for both my home group and one other regular meeting (a beginner's group) every week. But I spend a lot of time "cooling my heels" because of my business being new and my need to minimize payroll until it picks up. So, here I am! With all this free time on my hands, it seems right somehow for me to spend it reading about where others are in recovery, learning from them and, if so prompted, sharing my experience, strength and hope.

I'll leave you with my favorite paragraph from the Big Book, one that has become my recovery mantra, if you will.

"And we have ceased fighting anything or anyone-even alcohol. For by this time sanity will have returned. We will seldom be interested in liquor. If tempted, we recoil from it as from a hot flame. We react sanely and normally, and we will find that this has happened automatically. We will see that our new attitude toward liquor has been given us without any thought or effort on our part. It just comes! That is the miracle of it. We are not fighting it, neither are we avoiding temptation. We feel as though we had been placed in a position of neutrality-safe and protected. We have not even sworn off. Instead, the problem has been removed. It does not exist for us. We are neither cocky nor are we afraid. That is our experience. That is how we react so long as we keep in fit spiritual condition." (pp. 84-5)

Thanks for being here!
Chip
The only constant in life is change.
chefchip
Forums Old Timer

Re: Greetings from Kentucky

Postby Squawking Hawk » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:12 am

Welcome to e-AA Chip. I did see that you have posted elsewhere on the forums. Glad you are here and I look forward to reading more of your shares.

Hawk
Ms. Hawk

I will never forget
Squawking Hawk
Forums Old Timer

Postby ann2 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:43 am

Welcome Chef Chip! I was just down your way last week, visiting the newport Aquarium with my mom and my two kids. Got lost and mom not trusting any gps system, stopped at a Frisches for directions. How nice were the people? Doesn't even translate. 3 waitresses in that place worked it out for me and a customer interjected with more help. Had an unsure moment, pulled into a gas station, and a fella filling his car confirmed my directions. A little different from my usual experience in Sweden!

Would love to visit your restaurant. What's the specialty?

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby chefchip » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:16 am

Hawk and Ann,

Thanks for saying hello!

Ann, I'm trying to wrap my head around you being "down my way" last week with you being from Sweden. Hopefully you can enlighten me! But I'm glad you found the people friendly here. We try.

Believe it or not if you were heading to the Aquarium and stopped at a Frisch's then you were just "around the corner" from my place. I won't mention it by name, etc, in a public post as I have a feeling that would violate certain anonymity protocols. I'll send you a private message.

Anyway, my place is takeout, ice cream and other frozen treats, as well as having a breakfast & sandwich menu. We locally source most of our menu, change it frequently and make nearly everything from scratch. Think Jamie Oliver meets Dairy Queen! :D As you can imagine, being takeout/eat-outside, this time of year is not as lively!

Anyway, thanks for the welcome...
Chip
chefchip
Forums Old Timer

Postby Lali » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:52 am

Hi, Chip. Your menu sounds yummy. May I be nosey and ask if you are new to AA? I saw that you attend beginners meetings.
And welcome! :D
Step 1: I can't
Step 2: He can
Step 3: I think I'll let him
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Postby chefchip » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:19 am

Lali,

Thanks. Your question is not nosey! And it has two answers:

1) I recently noted the passing of 6 months of sanity from my drinking problem. I don't like to call it sobriety because what happened to me is so much more than just stopping hitting the bottle. The problem has been removed. It does not exist for me. So, yes, I guess you could say that I am new to AA, especially in the sense that I just recently "got" what recovery is all about. Like many people, I have been in and out of AA, detox, etc, for years, however. Take your pick!

2) Seven months ago I attended a Back to Basics Beginners' Meeting held here in Northern Kentucky. There is a long crazy story for how I even found this meeting, involving the god of my understanding doing for me something I was never going to do for myself. But the short version is that, for the first time in my life, I trusted my gut and listened to that insistent voice inside myself. It was during the 4-week cycle of this meeting that something clicked. I finally worked the steps and I have not wanted to have a drink since.

Anyway, part of my recovery includes continuing to go to these Back to Basics meetings every week. When I'm asked, I read and share. When I'm asked, I work with newcomers who are there to learn about the steps and want to work them for the first time in their lives. In fact, tonight I am meeting with a couple of such newcomers to work on their fourth and fifth steps. So, yes I attend beginners' meetings, but now I do so in order to share my experience, strength and hope -- to share what the AA program has done for me only very recently. And I attend them to remind myself what is important in my recovery. Other than my home group this meeting does more to keep me sober than any other I attend.

Does that rather wordy response answer your questions? Sorry you asked, yet? :lol:

Regards, and thanks for the welcome!
Chip
chefchip
Forums Old Timer

Postby Lali » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:34 pm

chefchip wrote:
Does that rather wordy response answer your questions? Sorry you asked, yet? :lol:

Chip

1) Yes
2) Nah, I told you we are nosey here. :lol:

But seriously, as you will see, there is a lot of sobriety in these forums. I'm so grateful that I found this place to supplement my f2f meetings. I think it's great that you are working with others already. And congrats on 6 months!
Step 1: I can't
Step 2: He can
Step 3: I think I'll let him
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Return to Guest Book