New Here

All visitors are invited to "sign" the guest book.

New Here

Postby bustersmom » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:48 am

Hi All,

New to here but have been drinking for some time and now it is really catching up to me. Wound up in the hospital last week. Time to pull myself up by my bootstraps and do some hard work and soul searching. I'm lucky in that I still have a job, a loving husband and daughter. I want to keep it that way and improve my life and relationships.

Feeling somewhat fragile at the moment but hoping as time progresses I will gain strength.

Cindy Ann
bustersmom
Forums Newcomer

Re: New Here

Postby Squawking Hawk » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:21 am

Hi Cindy Ann and welcome to the e-AA forums. You said that your drinking is really catching up with you, and that you were in the hospital last week. In my experience, strength, and hope it was not enough for me to know that my drinking was a problem, I had to begin by admitting that I was powerless over alcohol, that my life had become unmanageable. That is the first step of the twelve steps of Alcoholics Anonymous.

I did not come into A.A. knowing the first step. I went to A.A. meetings because it was suggested to me by some acquaintances who were sober through A.A. that going to A.A. would help me with my drinking. So, they took to my first meetings, and I was able to say that I am an alcoholic. At one of my first meetings, I got what we in A.A. call our Big Book, a book that describes our twelve steps along with stories of alcoholics who are sober through A.A. You can get a Big Book at many face-to-face A.A. meetings, and it is also available online:

http://www.aa.org/bigbookonline/en_tableofcnt.cfm

I'd suggest that you make an A.A. meeting in or near your town if you have not done so already. The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking.

There are also other forums here that you might want to post to, e.g. the for newcomers forum in our recovery section. And I see that you have joined the closed women's meeting, where you may share more about yourself and ask questions.

Hawk
Ms. Hawk

I will never forget
Squawking Hawk
Forums Old Timer

Return to Guest Book