i think i'm in the right place

All visitors are invited to "sign" the guest book.

i think i'm in the right place

Postby flip » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:18 pm

Hello, i'm Evan, I've spoke to a couple members here via the "get help now" page, but just became a member. I find it comforting to speak to people who truely understand whats its like dealing with the issues we've faced. I'm 26 and totally powerless over alcohol, i was in denial for a very long time as i believed a true alcoholic was like what you'd see on intervention. As far as i was concerned, i didn't feel the need to drink everyday, i didn't have siezures if i didn't drink, i usually had no problem getting through my work week without drinking at all so i wasn't an alcoholic. When the weekend came around it was party time though, lately things are about as bad as they've ever been as far as drinking.

I have 3 children, two of my own as well as a step child, all of which i feel i've been a great father to. I need to quit for them. I've been to one meeting, everyone was very friendly, however i was still very uncomfortable, i had a hard time talking my self into getting out of the truck at the church parking lot. I realize this is a faith based program/lifestyle, i have no issue with that at all, but i wasn't raised with religion, among all the other stressful factors i'm facing right now i'm having an even harder time grasping religion. I consider my self to be pretty socially awkward, i have difficulty speaking in front of new people at the best of times. I've met many people of various religions, i've met a young lady years ago that was involved with aa and na that wasn't religious before but was able to accept some type of religion or higher power to get through the program.

I don't want to ramble on here, i will continue to read the posts on this forum, hopefully participate in the live discussions, maybe soon convince myself to goto another local meeting. I look forward to talking to you all more
flip
Forums Newcomer

Re: i think i'm in the right place

Postby PaigeB » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:07 am

Welcome Evan! Glad you are here & I hope you find what I have found! :D

Great folks here!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby avaneesh912 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:52 am

I don't want to ramble on here, i will continue to read the posts on this forum, hopefully participate in the live discussions, maybe soon convince myself to goto another local meeting. I look forward to talking to you all more

Also, please start reading the book alcoholics anonymous and better yet, If you would like to hear some great workshop, send me a private message, i will be glad to send you free resources on the web. Those immensely helped me in my journey. Good luck.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Hanna » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:04 am

Hi welcome here Evan. Stick around, listen, share and read the BB. We are all here to help one another through the process of learning how to live a peaceful content life without alcohol. I'm happy you got here now, alcoholism is a progressive fatal disease.
Keep posting,
Hanna
We will comprehend the word serenity and we will know peace
Hanna
Forums Long Timer

Postby strider » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:41 pm

Evan,

The Big Book is available on-line, too, of course, so it's easy to start reading it -- read "The Doctor's Opinion" -- my God, it opened my eyes!
strider
Forums Enthusiast

Postby GaryD » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:37 pm

Welcome Evan! I too was as you are. I was nervous. Didn't think I was an alcoholic. Wasn't brought up in a religious environment though I knew a little bit about various religions. Didn't drink everyday but couldn't control myself when I did.

That was 10 years, 9 months ago. I came to AA October 6th, 2002 and haven't had a drink since. I was able to develop a relationship with God over time without accepting another persons conception of God. I simply left it up to God to reveal himself to me. I thought if he was God he could do that. It still continues to this day.
By the grace of God using the fellowship of AA and the twelves steps I have not picked up a drink since October 6th, 2002.

Gary D.
GaryD
Forums Enthusiast

Return to Guest Book