Making Today Day One

All visitors are invited to "sign" the guest book.

Making Today Day One

Postby exhibitq » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:53 am

Hi there,

I have been having problematic drinking for the last couple of years. Somewhere in the last year or two it slipped from problematic to something more serious and just recently I have said that I am an alcoholic. Not out loud yet, but I have accepted it for myself, which was still a huge step. A few weeks ago, after I came to accepting I am an alcoholic, I managed one week without having a drink. And then I fell off the wagon. I hate what I am like when I am drunk and I hate feeling dependent so I am going to make today day one of no alcohol.

And I think I need a lot of support so I am glad I found this website. There are many good things heading my way in life and I want to enjoy them soberly. I am graduating from college, moving in with my boyfriend to start a life together, starting to look at graduate school, and I know that my drinking will effect and hurt all of these. I am ready to change.

I am a bit nervous to make this post, I don't really know what to say. Thanks for reading it and I look forward to communicating with you all further.

Felix
exhibitq
Forums Newcomer

Re: Making Today Day One

Postby PaigeB » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:59 am

Welcome Felix!

I KNOW that my ability to be in "constant contact" with AA through this website was a turning point in my sobriety. I have since become quite involved with online AA and service therein.

I hope you find what you need in these rooms and that you keep comin' back!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby strider » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:56 am

I was very nervous, too, Felix. Making that Day One choice is pretty instrumental, though, in what follows, and there is indeed followup. Ask for help, and don't try to do this without asking for a lot of it. Start reading the Big Book. Find a Meeting. Get Sponsorship. This will keep you sober -- and help you overcome difficulties that will come to you as you start this new part of your life.
strider
Forums Enthusiast

Postby GaryD » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:37 pm

Welcome Felix!

My name is Gary and I am an alcoholic.

Having heard your confession of your belief in being an alcoholic, I want to encourage you to seek out local AA meetings in your area so that you can get the best exposure to others who have suffered from alcoholism. They will share their experience, strength and hope with you that you will be able to take home and put to practical use in your life.

I drank alcohol because I am an alcoholic that liked the effects produced by it and no other reason though I didn't think so.

I lost the ability to control my drinking once I began drinking.

I found that I could not stay stopped even when presented with a good reason to stop drinking such as relationship problems, judicial matter or employment conflicts.

I became a member of AA in October 2002 and began walking the path of recovery and I have not had a drink since. I have been sober 10 years and 9 months or so and the desire to drink alcohol has been removed from me. I have had a spiritual awakening as a result of working the program of recovery. I have tools for living today that guarantee me that I can stay sober one day at a time if I am willing to apply them to my life and stay in fit spiritual condition. May you have everything I have found in AA and more.
By the grace of God using the fellowship of AA and the twelves steps I have not picked up a drink since October 6th, 2002.

Gary D.
GaryD
Forums Enthusiast

Return to Guest Book