All visitors are invited to "sign" the guest book.

Postby Twenty Thirteen » Wed May 15, 2013 4:33 pm

Last edited by Twenty Thirteen on Thu May 07, 2015 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Twenty Thirteen

Re: New to e-AA but not new to AA.

Postby becksdad » Wed May 15, 2013 4:47 pm

Hi Richard! Welcome to the forums! And congratulations on 46 days! My name is Ed, and I am an alcoholic. I found this place late last year when I had an unpredictable work schedule that cut some of my meeting attendance. I have come to love this place! There is lots of great recovery shared here!! Hope to see and read more from you...

I relate to what you said about sobriety being between you & God. I didn't like this "We" stuff, either, at first. But I have come to believe that was just my own fear displaying itself as arrogance, and it served to keep me isolated in the midst of many. Found out that I cannot remain sober or grow much in recovery without others - both oldtimers and newcomers. Uncomfortable at first, this common bond has become a great gift today.

Glad you're here, Richard..... keep coming back!

Ed
becksdad
Forums Long Timer

Postby Patter » Wed May 15, 2013 6:28 pm

Welcome. I'm Patrick and I'm an alcobolic. Congrats on 46. I'm still amazed by anyone that gets more than 5 days. I never belonged anywhere until I stopped tryimg to find reasons I don't fit in and listened to others tell similar stories to mine. I heard them say they needed a sponsor, they worked the steps, started sorting out their lives, and there they were contributing to other peoples' lives. I wanted what they had so I started doing what they did. Check back in here as you go. Something good is going on. Patter
Patter
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Oliver » Thu May 16, 2013 3:56 am

Hi Richard,

My name's Oliver and I'm an alcoholic.

I echo Ed and Patrick's welcome to these parts, and congratulations on your sober-time. Hopefully with 50 days or so of meetings, you're beginning to feel a little better in yourself and have been around long enough to hear some people share their experience of working the programme of recovery laid out in the Big Book. How are you finding working with a sponsor? Having honest discussions with people was new to me in recovery and I found it pretty difficult and terrifying -- in fact I'm having to check my temptation to keep myself to myself today. Fear and anxieties kick in and I end up missing out on opportunities for growth, but there's nowhere better for me to be today than working with other alcoholics.

Have a good day!

Oliver
Oliver
"In exchange for bottle and hangover, I have been given the keys to the kingdom."
Oliver
Forums Old Timer

Postby Mike O » Thu May 16, 2013 11:16 am

Hi Richard,

Welcome to the group.

-Mike :D
Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Postby Twenty Thirteen » Tue May 21, 2013 2:54 pm

Last edited by Twenty Thirteen on Thu May 07, 2015 4:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Twenty Thirteen

Postby becksdad » Tue May 21, 2013 3:17 pm

Hi Richard! Ah... what does it really matter, new, not new, ..? It's today anyway. I hung around AA for 10 years in the 80's, made several forays back into the rooms off and on for 2 more decades, but didn't get sober until 2010. So you could say that I had been around AA for 30 years. Read the Big Book, too.... a lot.

My problem basically was that I could not and would not accept to my innermost self the 1st Step. So I was pretty much at a standstill as far as recovery goes. I considered myself new in 2010. Matter of fact, I think I'm still new!! And it's quite alright! Heck, one of my best friends is sober 12 years, and his sponsor who is sober 30 years tells him he's new!!!!

When you get right down to it... being new is pretty cool. Keeps me right sized!!!

Anyway, glad you're here, my friend! Hope to see more of you...

Ed

Edit - Plus, when I do something really stupid, I get to say, "Hey, I'm new!!!....." ROFL!!!!
becksdad
Forums Long Timer

Postby Patter » Tue May 21, 2013 5:16 pm

A couple friends of mine went back out at 14 years sober. One stayed out a couple years. One came back after a couple months. Both were in depression and disappointed with themselves. Both surprised me by calling themselves 'new'. They said they know what's in the book but need to start over to try to get it inside better than it was. I love hearing them speak and get a lot out of what they say. The guy who stayed away longer was about a week away from a wet brain it seems, so his humility in admitting that he knows it but he doesn't know it floors me, especially in his halting way of speaking which is a newer trait, thanks to his last experiments.
What am I saying? I'm thankful I have today and I'm thankful I haven't felt the need to experiment in quite a while, but I can learn so much from those that have. Thing is, I don't think they know how much they're teaching. Patter
Patter
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Oliver » Wed May 22, 2013 2:40 am

Thanks for this Patter. Great reminder, on so many levels. The higher we build ourselves, the harder we fall, I guess. So glad your two friends made it back in and with the humility to start over, really inspiring. Sometimes difficult to make the link between 'head knowledge' of the programme and 'heart knowledge'. Working on it every day, sometimes find it tempting to make the shares sound good at the expense of raw honesty. Got to stick with what my experience strength and hope is today.
Oliver
"In exchange for bottle and hangover, I have been given the keys to the kingdom."
Oliver
Forums Old Timer

Postby Gary T. » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:44 pm

"he was impressed by my knowledge of the Big Book"
Please keep an open mind.
Knowledge of the Big Book is good but it won't keep you sober. We have to live it to the best of our abilities and ask for help on a daily basis or else we are doomed to drink again.
Gary T.
Just keep coming back
Gary T.
Forums Newcomer

Postby ann2 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:25 pm

Welcome Gary T., glad you found us and thanks for posting!

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby Squawking Hawk » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:34 pm

Welcome Gary T. Glad you are here. Hope you drop by again. Hawk
Ms. Hawk

I will never forget
Squawking Hawk
Forums Old Timer

Postby DeafAdrian » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:42 pm

New to e-AA. Just joined today. Deaf guy here, sober 3 years .. in Vancouver BC.. Hello everybody!
DeafAdrian
Forums Newcomer

Postby PaigeB » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:51 pm

Hi HI Adrian! Welcome!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Squawking Hawk » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:58 am

Welcome Adrian, glad you are here. Hawk
Ms. Hawk

I will never forget
Squawking Hawk
Forums Old Timer

Return to Guest Book