Introducing myself

All visitors are invited to "sign" the guest book.

Introducing myself

Postby CGPoolman » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:40 pm

Hi There! I'm new to the board (just registered a few minutes ago LOL), but been checking it out for a few days now. When I first came into AA I was going to 4-5 meetings a week. I hooked up with a great sponsor, and he's really been a great help to me. Now, I'm creeping up on my 1yr anniversary and I find my self getting a bit "bored" with meetings. I've been to 2 or 3 in the last 2 months. I make contact with my higher power every day, and I call my sponsor every so often just to check in and let him know that I'm OK, but I don't think he is very happy with that. I get the feeling he would like to see me at more meetings. It just seems like its the same faces, telling and re-telling the same stories over and over and over. Part of it could be the age gap - a lot of them are much older than I am. Its nothing personal - they all seem like great people. I am very grateful to this program and what it has helped me accomplish, but thinking I may need a change of scenery, and some new people to interact with.

I love living life in sobriety - a year ago I never would have thought it was possible!

Thanks,
CG
CGPoolman
Forums Enthusiast

Re: Introducing myself

Postby Mike O » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:46 pm

Hi CG,
Welcome to the group.
You worked the steps as suggested in the book?

-Mike :D
Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Postby CGPoolman » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:51 pm

Mike,

With the help of my sponsor I worked thru 1-5, I'm at 6/7 now.

-CG
CGPoolman
Forums Enthusiast

Postby ann2 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:55 pm

Hi and welcome! I found meetings got to be a bit tedious until I started concentrating on paying back by trying to pass on the incredible gift of sobriety.

I still get bored by the same people telling the same stories, but I thrill at a newcomer displaying the amazing courage of asking for help with his or her alcoholism.

Once I took the steps all the way through, I had something to offer. And it's a huge reward to pass this on.

Thanks for joining us! I look forward to seeing you around :-)

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby johnd » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:58 pm

Welcome CG
Are you situated to travel to another town or state to participate in other meetings, also does your home group do any outside commitments to other groups or facilities. Or maybe yo need to get involved in more of the group such as being a greeter, maybe make coffee and set up the hall that way you will feel a part of and contribute to your sobriety and gain a little more gratitude. I had to do those things early on and some times I still take them on. John D
Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans- Anonymous
johnd
Forums Long Timer

Postby johnd » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:59 pm

Ann2,
We must be on the same path :lol:
Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans- Anonymous
johnd
Forums Long Timer

Postby Tommy-S » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:17 pm

Hi CG and welcome...

Slippery ground... but common enough, too.

We run from that nightmare behind the drink and become willing to anything which will lift the merciless obsession... Then we get to feeling a little better and start listening to the Drink in our head talking...Dr. Silkworth laid out the pattern, which is the same for heart or tuberculous patients as is it for us alkies, part of which is in this discussion:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10428&p=71397&hilit=what%2Fwhy+of+slips#p71397

The problem I had is I get my glasses twisted around, as Dr. Paul talked of it:
"I can do the same thing with an AA Meeting. The more I focus my mind on its defects _late start, long drunkalogues, cigarette smoke -- the worse the meeting becomes. But when i try to see what I can add to the meeting, rather than what can get out of it, and when I focus my mind on what's good about it ,rather than what's wrong with it, the meeting keeps getting better." (BB, 3rd Ed, pg 452)

With time, I probably need very few meetings... But I still go to as many as I can get to as there may be someone there who needs my help.

But that's me... Thanks

Tommy
Together, we don't have to cave in or wimp out to that Fatal First One, no matter what today!
Tommy-S
Forums Old Timer

Postby Mike O » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:15 am

CGPoolman wrote:Mike,

With the help of my sponsor I worked thru 1-5, I'm at 6/7 now.

-CG

Good. Stick at it :D
Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Postby CGPoolman » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:32 am

Thanks for everyone's input! I went to a BB meeting Friday night and saw a few new faces, so that was pretty interesting. I live in a very small town, so the meetings are usually small (A dozen or so folks - sometimes more sometimes less) and the faces usually don't change very often. I like the advice of JohnD, maybe I will try a few meetings in the next town over and see if that helps.

Thanks,
CG
CGPoolman
Forums Enthusiast

Return to Guest Book