I'm home!

All visitors are invited to "sign" the guest book.

I'm home!

Postby WorkInProgress » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:05 pm

I was about 5 when I had my first sip of beer, and Ioved it. Some shots of straight whiskey in high school, and lucky for me (as I thought at the time), the legal drinking age was 18. In college I weighed a lite under 100 pounds, but I could out-drink every girl I knew and some guys. Sometimes I'd wonder if I had a drinking problem, but my friends laughed at the idea and promptly poured me another drink.

I did enough studying between binge drinking to graduate from college. I kept drinking. I married an alcoholic. He had DTs some times, and we both had blackouts. When he almost hit me one night, I knew it was the end. I kicked him out and kept drinking.

I started work in another city. I started dating a guy who had one beer in his refrigerator. It was in there for weeks. Every time I opened the refrigerator, I couldn't understand why he didn't drink it. My drinking, however had gotten worse. Mornings after I had a crushing pain in the lower back of my brain. On 1 January 1992 I knew that if I kept drinking I'd die soon. On 2 January, I went to my first AA meeting.

I worked the program and had a great sponsor and stayed sober. I married the guy who could take one sip of a drink and not want any more. We had a child, and when he started school, I volunteered a lot.

I am now going to te on myself. I stopped going to meetings. I stayed in constant contact with my Higher Power but nothing else.

Recently I discovered my 19 year-old son's a drug addict. I'm grateful he's chosen tratment. I'm starting Nar-Anon and realizing how much I need to work my program. It's nice to be here with other alcoholics. It's nice to be home.
WorkInProgress
Forums Enthusiast

Re: I'm home!

Postby Tommy-S » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:18 pm

Hi Works...

And glad you found your way home without paying the 'rapacious creditor' again. I see too many get comfortable & complacent and then end up MIA (Missing In Alcohol), some with tragic results, all affecting the families and those closest.

It's a good reminder that yesterday's sobriety doesn't count... every day I have to renew that decision to go to any lengths for Victory. I do that through the Actions I learned in AA some 24 hours ago. It works. There's strength in numbers, and together we get better.

I have found out the hard way the only thing I can do for those nearest & dearest is to Keep Sober... I am also a double-winner with Alanon. AA to deal with My drinking (so it doesn't deal with me) and Alanon to deal with their drinking.

Today, I never had it so good, thanks to the help I get in Alcoholics Anonymous.

Tommy
Together, we don't have to cave in or wimp out to that Fatal First One, no matter what today!
Tommy-S
Forums Old Timer

Postby Mike O » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:36 pm

Hi WorkInProgress,

Great to have you here.
On a daily basis we work those steps and we remain sober. It works!!

-Mike :D
Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Postby ann2 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:18 am

Welcome, work in progress :-) Glad you found us! Hope to read more of your journey.

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby WorkInProgress » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:10 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome, Tommy, Mike, and Ann.

I just read the recent posting about Dr. Silkworth's paper on relapse, and I realize I recently thought that maybe I could have just one drink. I wasn't really conscious of it until I read what Dr. Silkworth had to say. This disease is creepy. It gets you alone and starts whispering in your ear.

Thanks for being here.
WorkInProgress
Forums Enthusiast

Postby ann2 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:30 am

It's a great article, glad you found it and that it made sense to you!!!

"Slips and Human Nature" --

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby Tommy-S » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:49 pm

Here's a post on parts of Dr. Silkworth's article:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10428&p=69975&hilit=Slips#p69975
Together, we don't have to cave in or wimp out to that Fatal First One, no matter what today!
Tommy-S
Forums Old Timer

Return to Guest Book