Re-Intro

All visitors are invited to "sign" the guest book.

Re-Intro

Postby littlered2 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:52 am

Ok everyone... I'm going to try this again. Starting over. Fresh beginning.

I am Little Red. I am an alcoholic (that's the first time I've ever written that I think!) I am a binge drinker and am very good at faking not being drunk. I like to drink wine and margaritas because they are fancy and fun - definitely worship the "social" aspect of drinking and have surrounded myself with people who do the same. I have a great family and a home and a job so I am very VERY fortunate and I hope to not lose any of these because of stupid drinking. My mom was (is) an alcoholic and she had some really rough angry years. She has since become sober - I think she still drinks on the weekends sometimes? - and is her wonderful loving self again.

If you've read my other posts you know I'm afraid to get started. I'm afraid to tell my friends I'm doing this and I worry my family will know about my lies.
No Day But Today
littlered2
Forums Enthusiast

Re: Re-Intro

Postby Hanna » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:27 am

Welcome back Little Red.
7 years ago I could have written your post. Happily married, 2 great kids, a nice house in a nice friendly neighborhood, good job, plenty of friends, nice car. I was great at hiding my drinking, my drinking character was becoming the real me, one drink at a time.
Here I am now, lost my job and my license and my car. Almost lost my family, they knew the difference between the drinking character and the real me. I only thought I was good at hiding it, they always knew, the only one I fooled was myself. Over time I lost contact with family and friends due to fear of what I said when drinking, waking from a black out was so horrible I would immediately drink again to numb the pain. I was not living the life I had dreamed of and I was tired of the nightmare I was living. When I admitted that my life was not what I wanted, I surrendered.
If you truly want to live the life you always imagined then surrender and begin again. Take it one hour at a time for now. Just put off that fatal first drink for a few minutes, focus on the life you want to have, imagine it.
By surrendering and accepting the fact that I have an allergy to alcohol and knowing the consequences of just one drink--the craving will return and I will once again be at it's mercy--, I have been able to remain sober. I had always felt I could have just one-but it always ended up with me drinking until I passed out and then waking to the horrors.
By listening to the vetrans here and at meetings I know that I am not the only one who felt I could control it. Many have tried only to be beaten back into a trembling wreck, if they survived. I have no desire to ever go back to being that person again. I have not had a drink in 113 days and my life is already becoming better. I am doing it one day at a time and it has turned into 4 months of sobriety. I am happier than I have been in years. I wish this for you too. Stick around here, there is so much support waiting for you.
Hanna
We will comprehend the word serenity and we will know peace
Hanna
Forums Long Timer

Re: Re-Intro

Postby littlered2 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:52 am

Your comment about your "drinking character" really hit home. ("my drinking character was becoming the real me, one drink at a time...") Weird that we can each be too people all smooshed together inside this crazy contraption we call a brain. I'm going to tell that Drinking Little Red to go to H***! I'll keep this little comment in mind when the urge strikes. It's like a bad friend who you can't help but hang out with even though you hate her guts.
No Day But Today
littlered2
Forums Enthusiast

Return to Guest Book