Fed up

All visitors are invited to "sign" the guest book.

Fed up

Postby triky » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:55 am

HI, im 44yrs old and live in the uk.I have been sober for 3 months now but am fiding it very difficult to stay possotive. Ive been in AA many years but never done the 12 steps. I dont know why but these steps seem to terify me (why?) Now i have come back to AA i want to stay sober but cant seem to fiind the courage to do them. Any suggestoins and help would be greatly welcome.
triky
Forums Newcomer

Re: Fed up

Postby Tommy-S » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:02 am

Hi Triky,

Welcome, and glad you shared.

After being sober for some time, I can tell you I have Never met any one who came to Aa because they had an extra hour to spare, and thought AA would be the way to do it.

PAIN is the motivator, and for a drunk like me, it was do AA or else... Dying did not bother me, so much (as I never really knew how to live). What drove me was the fact that i couldn't seem to die behind the drink...Alcohol was keeping me alive to mangle and torture, driving everyone who was near and dear to me away.

Maybe it'll take more Pain?

I am not sure what's keeping you from the Steps, so feel free to share.

The bottom line today is Because I took the Action, I have a new life... And it is a good one.

I am also pretty sure that if AA could do this for me, it Can work for You, Too.

Thanks for the share... Look forward to hearing more.

Tommy
Together, we don't have to cave in or wimp out to that Fatal First One, no matter what today!
Tommy-S
Forums Old Timer

Postby joedecook » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:03 am

ok so first off ya got the courage to do the steps. you keep coming back to AA. and pickin up another chip !! so ya got the courage.. attend some book study meetings perhaps you can find yourself in there. as opposed to open discussion meeting .i do not know what the longest you have sober is .however there seams to be a need in your life for the program. it is not a very hard program if we change our perception and sometimes simplyfy things. in its most basic form the washatonians had only four steps. (keep in mind that it ios a spitual disease and they were not as politicly correct as we are today.
I) In 1933, The Oxford Group had Four Practical Spiritual Activities*:
1. The sharing of our sins and temptations with another Christian life given to God, and to use Sharing as Witness to help others, still unchanged, to recognize and acknowledge their sins.
2. Surrender of our life, past, present and future, into God's keeping and direction.
3. Restitution to all we have wronged directly or indirectly.
4. Listening to, accepting, relying on God's guidance and carry it out in everything we do or say, great or small. later on as history recalls we found it nessacary to be a little more distinct and more concise as knowledge grew. so the steps took on a new twist here they are.
II) By 1938, there were six steps of recovery that had been adapted by the Alcoholic Squadron of the Oxford Group in Akron, in part from the Practical Spiritual Activities as were used in Akron, Ohio*.
1. We admitted that we were licked, that we were powerless over alcohol.
2. We made a moral inventory of our defects or sins.
3. We confessed or shared our shortcomings with another person in confidence.
4. We made restitution to all those we had harmed by our drinking.
5. We tried to help other alcoholics, with no thought of reward in money or prestige.
6. We prayed to whatever God we thought there was for the power to practice these precepts.
simple ~! kind of. your past is your past you cant change it. you can find freedom ifrom it by following the steps. in the process of the steps you will find your reasons for drinking and what you are lacking inside yourself as well as your strong and good traits. you are not unique or different then anyone of us. most of us thought we were too. it wasnt till i appiled the steps did i realize that you had a lot of the same fears and feelings as i did. its only really comes out in step s four and five. . but the real question to you is HOW MUCH LONGER DO YOU WANT TO CONTINUE TO LIVE THE WAY YOUR LIVING!!!??? do the steps for once. stop crawfishing around.and join us. the worst that can happen is you will be right back to where you started and your already used to that. on the other hand you could come to know a new freedom and happiness. and never have to make another post about not having courage. change your perception and walk with us. peace...joe.
joedecook
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Tom S » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:00 am

Nailed it.
Join us and live...or don't.
It's that simple.
Tom S
Tom S
Forums Long Timer

Postby Hanna » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:32 pm

triky wrote:HI, im 44yrs old and live in the uk.I have been sober for 3 months now but am fiding it very difficult to stay possotive. Ive been in AA many years but never done the 12 steps. I dont know why but these steps seem to terify me (why?) Now i have come back to AA i want to stay sober but cant seem to fiind the courage to do them. Any suggestoins and help would be greatly welcome

joedecook wrote:ok so first off ya got the courage to do the steps. you keep coming back to AA. and pickin up another chip !! so ya got the courage..
... simple ~! kind of. your past is your past you cant change it. you can find freedom ifrom it by following the steps. in the process of the steps you will find your reasons for drinking and what you are lacking inside yourself as well as your strong and good traits. you are not unique or different then anyone of us. most of us thought we were too. it wasnt till i appiled the steps did i realize that you had a lot of the same fears and feelings as i did. its only really comes out in step s four and five. . but the real question to you is HOW MUCH LONGER DO YOU WANT TO CONTINUE TO LIVE THE WAY YOUR LIVING!!!??? do the steps for once. stop crawfishing around.and join us. the worst that can happen is you will be right back to where you started and your already used to that. on the other hand you could come to know a new freedom and happiness. and never have to make another post about not having courage. change your perception and walk with us. peace...joe.

I'm coming up on 5 months and although I have no desire to drink, I am most of the time sad. You really helped me tonight Joe, thank you.
Hanna
We will comprehend the word serenity and we will know peace
Hanna
Forums Long Timer

Postby Tommy-S » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:53 pm

Congrats, Hanna... You're doing good :)

Time takes time...There is No microwave sobriety, because if there was, we would probably get drunk and do it next week.

It's been part of that Joy of Living the program talks about to see people come in, stick & stay through thick and thin, stacking up those 24 hours

You are the life blood of AA, the replenishing of the ranks that will replace those of us who will one day graduate to whatever comes next.

Keep hanging in there as my sponsor (41 years sober last month) continues to say, "It keeps getting better"

And Welcome Joe... Great to have you with us, my friend!

Thanks...Tommy
Together, we don't have to cave in or wimp out to that Fatal First One, no matter what today!
Tommy-S
Forums Old Timer

Postby joedecook » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:00 am

thanks still wandering around here forgot to come back and read lol. glad for you hanna. i am just a messenger sometimes. its just proof that when the student is ready the teacher will appear or we will what we have to hear when Gods decides we are ready to hear. peace out !
joedecook
Forums Enthusiast

Return to Guest Book