Introducing myself

All visitors are invited to "sign" the guest book.

Introducing myself

Postby lucy_vanpelt » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:41 pm

Hi there,

My name is Deborah, and I'm an alcoholic. It's not easy to write that, as I'm still in a fair bit of denial about the whole situation (mine, if it "sticks", will have been a pretty high bottom), but I'm pretty sure this is where I'm supposed to be. I attended my second f2f AA meeting today, and plan to continue to attend meetings and participate here. I just wanted to introduce myself, and also test out what it's like to post in this forum. Thanks, everyone, for being here.

Deborah aka lucy_vanpelt :?
"The future is no place to place your better days." -- Dave Matthews Band
lucy_vanpelt
Forums Enthusiast

Re: Introducing myself

Postby Tommy-S » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:57 pm

Welcome to the site, 'lucy' :)

And Congrats on your 4th day... you're doing great! (I saw your comment on littlered2's post)

There's a strong group of gals on here, so get to know them. Keep out of slippery places, and away from that Fatal First Drink one day, one hour at a time.

There's a good life awaiting.

Thanks... Tommy
Together, we don't have to cave in or wimp out to that Fatal First One, no matter what today!
Tommy-S
Forums Old Timer

Postby ann2 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:44 am

Welcome Deborah, thanks for introducing yourself and congrats on your time sober! That's outstanding! Hope to read more of you and great to have you here!

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby Mike O » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:04 am

Hi Deborah.

Welcome to the group.

Congratulations on your sobriety and attendance at the meetings.

Have you begun working the steps as laid out in the Big Book? This is vital for our sobriety.

See ya 'round the forum.

-Mike :D
Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Postby Todd M » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:54 am

Welcome Deborah... I am Todd, I am an Alcoholic

Thank you for reminding me, The Denial when I first arrived to the program.
I think I will open that up as a topic at my next Home Group Meeting

Denial is the first bump in the road.
There is Hope, Todd M
Keep it Simple

The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link:
http://www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
Todd M
Forums Long Timer

Postby Knurts » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:29 pm

H Debra! I'm new here and have relapsed for a "few" 24 hrs. :shock:
◄ It ain't the heat; it's the humility ► Yogi Berra
Knurts
Forums Enthusiast

Postby lucy_vanpelt » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:44 pm

Hi Tommy, Ann, Mike, Todd & Knurts - thanks for your messages and for making me feel welcome. I am really glad to have found this forum.

Yes, denial is a big issue for me, and such a tricky concept. I am a "high bottom" alcoholic (also a "big bottom" alcoholic, but that's another meeting), and it's easy to trick myself into believing that I'm "pulling the plug" on drinking too early. I've started making a list of all the things that kept me up at night, worrying about my drinking (example: that contemplating major surgery next year, I'd have to be sure to dry out for a good few weeks in advance of the surgery to ensure no withdrawal or complications with anaesthesia - - normal people don't have to think about that stuff, right?). I hope that when the denial rears its cunning head, I can take out the list and remind myself how I reached the conclusion that I could no longer "manage" my drinking and needed help.

My main concern today is that I'm aware I'm having a very "pink cloud" time of it right now (see what a quick study I am, picking up all the lingo :-) ), feeling very clear-headed, cleaned-up, relieved to be sober, and like I've really turned over a new page. (This is after 4 1/2 days of sobriety ... the arrogance, hmn?) Ticking off sober hours/days feels novel and interesting, like a grand new adventure. But I know very well the other shoe is going to drop, and that scares me. I guess that's what groups like this are for, and why I need to continue to connect face-to-face with meetings and other members.

At my second ever f2f meeting, a visiting member from another city near mine noticed that I was new, and stepped forward offering to buy me the copy of the Big Book I had in my hands. He was a young, smart looking guy, about half my age, and he told me someone had done the same for him at one of his first meetings, and that he wanted to pay it back. Wasn't that a nice thing to do? I'll never forget that guy (I thanked him very sincerely, but didn't have the presence of mind to ask him to sign my book). I hope I can remember that young guy and his kindness before I consider picking up a drink again.

Deborah
lucy_vanpelt
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Tommy-S » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:13 pm

You know, Deborah,

I imagine it you just keep sober one day at a time, and offer a Big Book to a newcomer down the road, it'll be all the 'thanks' that young man would ever want.

Keep hanging with the winners, there's strength in numbers. You're doing good

Thanks for the share. Tommy
Together, we don't have to cave in or wimp out to that Fatal First One, no matter what today!
Tommy-S
Forums Old Timer

Postby ann2 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:02 am

lucy_vanpelt wrote: I can take out the list and remind myself how I reached the conclusion that I could no longer "manage" my drinking and needed help.

Fantastic! Great tool! I love this step 1 stuff.

lucy_vanpelt wrote:My main concern today is that I'm aware I'm having a very "pink cloud" time of it right now (see what a quick study I am, picking up all the lingo :-) ), feeling very clear-headed, cleaned-up, relieved to be sober, and like I've really turned over a new page. (This is after 4 1/2 days of sobriety ... the arrogance, hmn?)

Dear Deborah,

Hey! It's very very possible! This sobriety thing is a miracle and it can and does happen overnight! I can't say that I experienced all those good feelings right away, but I *was* relieved of the compulsion to drink at my first meeting (and believe me, I had that compulsion, it was overwhelming and had taken me over completely). I was so utterly grateful not to drink I think I forgot that I could be happy about it too :-) lol

BUT -- the happiness for me came after taking step 4. Maybe I needed the solid foundation of recovery before allowing myself to be joyful, or maybe I was just masochistic. At any rate, we all travel this road at different rates.

Let me just encourage you to continue with the methods AA offers, for a deep rooting in sobriety and wonderful feelings that you don't have to suspect as arrogance!

love, Ann
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby Mike O » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:26 am

Well done, Deborah. You're doing well.

Get started on the steps.

-Mike :D
Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Postby Cristina » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:53 am

Welcome Deborah! I am so glad that you are here!!!

High bottom, low bottom... it doesn't matter. A bottom is a bottom. Now you are there, it's time to look up. Things will be better, things will get hard, but you know what. Things are just plain easier to deal with sober, because when we are drunk we never really deal with anything.

If you have any questions, or just need t talk, message me. I would be happy to help you. Have you found a sponsor yet? I encourage you doing so. Whether it's online or in person, it helps having someone familiar with the Big Book guide you through.

Congrats on your sobriety. We are all here for you!!!
Cristina
Forums Enthusiast

Postby jasmyn » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:33 pm

Hi
My name is Brenda M. and I am an alcoholic. I just finished 4 days of detox and spent 11 days in rehab. I was the rooster after detox and nominated for the first woman president for inpatient group. I didn’t win the race but it was an honor to be nominated. I graduated Pathways on 8/18/12. I say graduated because I learned more about alcoholism than I ever knew possible not to mention I didn’t think I was one of THOSE PEOPLE. You may call me Ms. Those People. I have been sober for 3 weeks and I’m still wiping milk from my mouth, but my spirits are high and I feel wonderful.

Thanks for reading. B :wink:

P.S. For give me in advance for some bo-bo’s while I learn more about the web sight.
jasmyn
Forums Newcomer

Postby lucy_vanpelt » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:28 pm

Hi Brenda,

I'm Deborah, the original poster on this thread, and I'm an alcoholic too. I'm also new to this forum, and to AA generally. I have eleven days of sobriety today, one day at a time, and last night I attended my 4th ever AA meeting. I'm really happy you're here. Meeting other newcomers makes me feel less alone in this.

I'm about to post a new thread about my progress, and some of the challenges I'm encountering so far, so I won't type more here. I just wanted to say hello and welcome, and congratulations on your great progress so far!

Best wishes,

Deborah
lucy_vanpelt
Forums Enthusiast

Postby ann2 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:36 am

Gosh I just love our newcomers!!!!

Thank you so much for your shares!!!

Ann
ann2