Type II diabetes, cardio-vascular or obesity problems...

"... We absolutely insist on enjoying life" (p. 132, Alcoholics Anonymous). Here's the forum for fun and frivolity. Enjoy!

Type II diabetes, cardio-vascular or obesity problems...

Postby Tosh » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:14 pm

I've been doing a bit of internet based research on low carb high fat diets for the purposes of endurance sports (ultra marathon running) and it seems I've missed a trick.

I can't post a link, but there's a brilliant talk on Ted Talks about how to arrest type II diabetes, heart problems and losing weight.

It goes so much against the grain on conventional wisdom, I thought I'd share it here, but you'll have cut and paste the title at youtube to watch it.

The title is:

Reversing Type 2 diabetes starts with ignoring the guidelines | Sarah Hallberg | TEDxPurdueU

Even if you don't have type ii diabetes, it's worth a watch.

Regards

Tosh
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Re: Type II diabetes, cardio-vascular or obesity problems...

Postby Duke » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:00 pm

Thanks Tosh. I don't know why this still seems to be such a secret and controversial. All you have to do is try it for awhile to see the benefits. Fortunately, I don't have an insulin problem so I can still enjoy an occasional pasta dish, potato or bread, but making them the exception rather than the rule has a direct impact on not only my energy levels, but also my mood as well. And I don't have to count calories either.
"If you are humble nothing will touch you, neither praise nor disgrace, because you know what you are.", Mother Teresa
Duke
Forums Old Timer

Postby Tosh » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:13 pm

That's great to hear, Duke. I'm currently on day 3 of the low carb high fat thing and we've been (Mrs Tosh and I) fairly strict. Lots of fat and green leafy veg. No sweet stuff. We're still learning.

The only problem is I've been getting sweet cravings because I've got a sugar addiction, but I'm okay with that. It's nothing how I remember the early days of not drinking. :shock:

I only came across this way of eating when I read a book called Primal Endurance which is aimed at endurance athletes who wish to become fat adapted, but even if you're not an athlete, there seems to be so many positives to it.

As the lady in the ted talk points out, there's many with a vested interest in maintaining the status quo, and there's big money involved too.
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby Layne » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:22 pm

The bugaboo that I run into with low carb is while it is true that there are no essential carbs, the human body (mine at any rate), likes fiber which is a carb. While considering my reply I was enjoying an afternoon snack. I ate a tangerine, 1/3 of a cup of peanuts, 1/2 of an avocado, and a slice of cheese...oops...carbs. This amount was 35g, which in the trio of LCHF diets (strict, moderate, and liberal) puts me in the moderate range; but that is for a days consumption! :shock:

Like I do with most things these days, I also strive for balance in my diet. I keep an eye on my carb consumption and try to stick to complex, low glycemic, minimally processed carbs. (my snack while 35g total of carbs was only a glycemic load total of 7)

The longer I am sober, the more I enjoy paying attention to what I feed my body... and my soul.
Layne
Forums Old Timer

Postby Noels » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:40 pm

High good fat no carbs sounds a lot like the banting way to me? We did banting for about a month then I couldn't face bacon and sausages for one more minute. Time to prepare the food was also a problem. I know our eating habits are terrible - grabbing a packet of good morning biscuits on the run, a slice of dry bread (no time to put anything on ) so in our household a change in lifestyle is needed.
The herbalife shakes worked for a while. I figured having a shake in the morning is quick and better than nothing but it's impossible to keep up. Way too expensive.
Maybe fruit is the answer for us :lol: grab, rinse and consume while on the run :lol: gonna try while on vacation in December :D
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby Tosh » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:57 am

Layne wrote:The bugaboo that I run into with low carb is while it is true that there are no essential carbs, the human body (mine at any rate), likes fiber which is a carb.

The low carb high fat diet advocates eating loads of fibre, from low carb veg. Green leafy veg seems to be pushed, which is great, I love green leafy veg; smeared with huge chunks of butter and a little salt and black pepper.

Sugar-laden fruit is out, so is any vegetable that grows in the ground (like carrots and potatoes). In is anything veg that grows above the ground.

It's 9.00 am here. I haven't eaten since 6.00 pm yesterday, and I still feel satisfied; no hunger.
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby Tosh » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:03 am

Noels wrote:High good fat no carbs sounds a lot like the banting way to me? We did banting for about a month then I couldn't face bacon and sausages for one more minute.

But Noels, aren't you German? Germany is the land of the sausage, with 3,453 different varieties of sausage on hand!

(I just made that up).

Sounds similar to me, too, with the exception it's low carb and not no carb. You can eat all the low carb veg you want. We had spaghetti made out of courgette* last week; it was surprisingly very nice; we liked it better than normal pasta. We lightly fried it, rather than boiled it. And ate it with lashings of a tasty meat sauce.

*Zucchini I think you lot call 'em. :lol:
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby clouds » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:31 am

So interesting to find other alcoholics talking about this.

I used a lot of sugary foods, ice cream, bakery things, in early sobriety, those seemed to reduce cravings for drinking. Within a few months sober I started to curb the sweets. Over the years I sorted out that I am better off without indulging in high sugar foods and so I maintain a low carb way of eating. I've tried the really low to no carb and over time realized its not for me.

I do carbs at around 80 to 110 g a day and that seems to work to keep big hanger away but allows me to have plenty of vegetables, sometimes a half a fruit and some dairy, yogurt mostly, or cheese, and some nut butters in addition to fish. We have fresh fish sales twice a week here, so that's primarily our protien top source. The fresh vegetables we get are also a mainstay every day.

I was vegetarian for many years. I just found it impossible to stop overeating on fruit and breads though when I was vegetarian. So to avoid becomng overweight, the lower carbohydrate plan works. I'm plenty slim now plus getting all the vits and nutrients. But if I couldn't be satisfied with the good food I eat I would certainly shift into another plan.

It will be good to know ongoing how you and Mrs. are getting along with the very low carb, many people swear by it and are very healthy and slim using this, as are athletic people.

My Mom has diabetes so ya know, I agree, its better safe than sorry unil the research proves different.

Best wishes and to all your good health!
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.
clouds
Trusted Servant

Postby Layne » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:36 am

Tosh wrote:The low carb high fat diet advocates eating loads of fibre, from low carb veg. Green leafy veg seems to be pushed, which is great, I love green leafy veg;

I love vegies of all kinds. I usually eat zucchini, kale, and others every day. Lunch and dinner. But a cup of of each is only 5% of DV for fiber, whereas rolled oats are 33%. The trade off is the carbs are 56g whereas for zucc it is 4g and kale is 7g.

I love brown rice, but once again carbs. Tonight I am going to try cauliflower rice, it is 5g and 10% fiber; so promising. Luckily I love cooking, nutrition, and learning. So the research goes on. :~)
Layne
Forums Old Timer

Postby Duke » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:01 am

I'm an all or nothing guy quite often. Big surprise, right?

I've finally figured out that succeeding 50% of the time at a healthy diet is far better than 0%. Same thing with exercise.

So, I do my best at making a creditable effort at incorporating the guidelines, but I also allow myself the occasional cheesecake or plate of pasta. Last night, the fried pickles and mushrooms had a light breading on them, but I knew if I tried to forego them entirely, I was likely bound for a stack of cookies when I got home.

Overall, my blood pressure and weight are down to healthy levels, so staying conscious and doing what I'm able seems to be working.
"If you are humble nothing will touch you, neither praise nor disgrace, because you know what you are.", Mother Teresa
Duke
Forums Old Timer

Postby Tosh » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:06 am

Layne wrote:
Tosh wrote:The low carb high fat diet advocates eating loads of fibre, from low carb veg. Green leafy veg seems to be pushed, which is great, I love green leafy veg;

I love vegies of all kinds. I usually eat zucchini, kale, and others every day. Lunch and dinner. But a cup of of each is only 5% of DV for fiber, whereas rolled oats are 33%. The trade off is the carbs are 56g whereas for zucc it is 4g and kale is 7g.

I love brown rice, but once again carbs. Tonight I am going to try cauliflower rice, it is 5g and 10% fiber; so promising. Luckily I love cooking, nutrition, and learning. So the research goes on. :~)

Interesting; I know very little about it. We plan to be fairly strict up to the 13th December when we've got a Christmas meal with friends planned.

I think I'm on day 5 with no sugar and day 3 with no carbs (I stopped eating chocolate a few days prior to going no carb).

Both Mrs Tosh and I are both feeling weird, like we're in our own little bubbles, and we've both had dizzy spells.

Ha ha; it's carb withdrawals. :lol: But other than that it's not been hard. I find the high fat meals very satisfying and I don't feel like eating between meals.

At least I'm not shaking and anxious.

Is there a veg high in fibre and low in carbs?
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby Tosh » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:08 am

Duke wrote:I'm an all or nothing guy quite often. Big surprise, right?

Me too. I can't have just 'one cookie'; I have to have none, or all of them. :lol:
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby Layne » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:22 am

What is this word "one"? I have heard it, but am not familiar with it.
Layne
Forums Old Timer

Postby Layne » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:33 am

Tosh wrote: Is there a veg high in fibre and low in carbs?

Fiber is a carb, which is where the Catch-22 quagmire originates.
Layne
Forums Old Timer

Postby Spirit Flower » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:00 pm

Dr Barry Sears has written several books, one of which is called The Zone Diet. His take is that carb and protein should be balanced be 1:1 ratio; or 40% carb of calories, 30% protein, balance fat.

I don't follow anything because my Dr last year said it would be almost impossible for me to get diabetes. I am a vegetarian. I focus on 5 fruits/veggie every day plus lots of protein. I put brown rice and beans into most suppers. I make my own bread. I eat potato chips. I haven't over ate in years, but I think that is a function of my stage in life. I don't find food very interesting. Cookies and chocolate no longer interest me.

I usually have a long drive after a marathon. I chug a high protein drink (like ensure plus) first. Then as I drive, my first desire is for the mandarin slices I usually have prepeeled in the car. Then after awhile, maybe a protein bar or an apple. i always like the cold diet coke. Then corn chips might be ok. I almost never want to eat the sandwich.
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Trusted Servant

Next

Return to But We Aren't a Glum Lot ...