Book Suggestions - Sobriety, Addiction, Spiritual Related.

"... We absolutely insist on enjoying life" (p. 132, Alcoholics Anonymous). Here's the forum for fun and frivolity. Enjoy!

Book Suggestions - Sobriety, Addiction, Spiritual Related.

Postby FullFlightKY » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:38 pm

Just looking for suggestions, I have been looking into books that are AA, sobriety, inspirational, addiction, & spiritual related (along those lines...).
I started on a new book yesterday "Healing the Addictive Personality" Dr. Lee Jampolsky and so far I love it. I am also looking for other suggestions for when I finish this book.
"I will forever remain humble because I know I could have less. I will always be grateful because I know I've had less."
FullFlightKY
Forums Enthusiast

Re: Book Suggestions - Sobriety, Addiction, Spiritual Relate

Postby Niagara » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:01 am

I like 'the steps we took' by joe mcQuany and 'the Road less travelled' by M. Scott Peck :)
If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month -
Theodore Roosevelt
Niagara
Forums Old Timer

Postby whipping post » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:40 am

The Power of Now by Eckart Tolle really helped me with both acceptance and spirituality. It is free for download in a PDF or in most bookstores. Some of it is pretty deep so I read it with a "take what you understand and leave the rest" attitude. It seems that a lot of it is in the same vein of AA.
whipping post
Forums Contributor

Postby desypete » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:16 am

the language of letting go by Melody Beattie is a great book that was given to me by an aa member, it has daily readings and sets you some tasks to do for that day, i found it such a huge help for me in learning just how to let things go, as i was holding on to things i could never change but just couldnt come to see it yet
desypete
Forums Contributor

Postby avaneesh912 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:37 am

The Power of Now by Eckart Tolle really helped me with both acceptance and spirituality.

Yes, it helped me recognize the 'voice in the head' and be a watcher. The greatest gift in life.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Tommy-S » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:38 am

Besides what has been contributed, some I have found helpful:

'Illusions' by Richard Bach
'Love' by Leo Buscaglia
"The Celestine Prophecy" by James Redfield
"The Treasured Writings of Kahlil Gibran"
"Mother Earth Spirituality" Ed (Eagle Man) McGaa
"The Zen of Oz" by Joey Green

Tommy
Together, we don't have to cave in or wimp out to that Fatal First One, no matter what today!
Tommy-S
Forums Old Timer

Postby ezdzit247 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:10 pm

"A New Pair of Glasses" by Chuck C.

Great read!
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby FullFlightKY » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:54 pm

whipping post wrote:The Power of Now by Eckart Tolle really helped me with both acceptance and spirituality. It is free for download in a PDF or in most bookstores. Some of it is pretty deep so I read it with a "take what you understand and leave the rest" attitude. It seems that a lot of it is in the same vein of AA.

Yes, avaneesh912 recommended that to me a few weeks ago and I went ahead and ordered it on Amazon two days ago... It's always a plus when multiple people recommend the same book, looking forward to it.
"I will forever remain humble because I know I could have less. I will always be grateful because I know I've had less."
FullFlightKY
Forums Enthusiast

Postby FullFlightKY » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:56 pm

Thanks for the recommendations... these should keep me busy for a while :mrgreen:
FullFlightKY
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Duke » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:12 am

"The Spirituality of Imperfection" by Ernest Kurtz and Kathryn Ketchum, and "Love is Letting Go of Fear" by Gerald Jampolsky.

Both have been very significant to me.
"If you are humble nothing will touch you, neither praise nor disgrace, because you know what you are.", Mother Teresa
Duke
Forums Old Timer

Postby Brock » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:55 am

whipping post wrote:The Power of Now by Eckart Tolle really helped me with both acceptance and spirituality. It is free for download in a PDF or in most bookstores. Some of it is pretty deep so I read it with a "take what you understand and leave the rest" attitude. It seems that a lot of it is in the same vein of AA.

I think it is important to keep in mind that many of the books recommended here can be found on the net for free, so check there before spending $. In particular for recovery and spiritual material “you tube” is very good, and for those who don’t like to or can’t read, or just a little lazy, many can be found there in audio books, including the power of now.

As stated the power of now for me required a take what you understand attitude, it is not an easy book to read, and I only got half way before giving up. Time magazine reviewers called it “mumbo jumbo,” which is a little unfair, I think it is useful but not very well written; maybe the audio version will suit me better so I will try that.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby avaneesh912 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:25 am

ime magazine reviewers called it “mumbo jumbo,” which is a little unfair,

I know, that is sad. I read that in his preface, where Eckhart talks about that book may make sense to some and not to all. Its like we have people in our fellowship who can't relate to what is written in the book.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby avaneesh912 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:30 am

I want to add to get the best out of the book (Power of Now), we may have to be in the first few chapters for sometime and then once we get a grasp of what he is talking about we could then more to other chapters in the middle. So we can realize the statement "You are not your mind". Anyone wanting to get the audio PM me I have the audio version. I am sure Tolle wouldn't mind losing some dollars here.
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Return to But We Aren't a Glum Lot ...