What do you enjoy doing in sobriety?

"... We absolutely insist on enjoying life" (p. 132, Alcoholics Anonymous). Here's the forum for fun and frivolity. Enjoy!

Re: What do you enjoy doing in sobriety?

Postby maurits » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:24 pm

clouds wrote:
So, you have a lot of fun ahead of you, skies are the limit if your own house is in order!

truly thank you clouds for sharing your personal experience, strength and hope!
maurits
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Tosh » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:20 am

I've just done the first session of a fitness program called Insanity; it's fairly well known in some circles. Mrs Tosh loves this because it's on DVD and the chief fitness guru is a ripped bloke called Shaun T (not a member of the fellowship, despite his name). She likes it for the letch value. :lol:

Anyway, for those old enough to remember, it's nothing like those keep fit vids that Cindy Crawford used to do.

I wouldn't say I enjoyed doing it, but I enjoyed finishing it, and just lying on my dining room floor - flat out - and 'meditating' for ten minutes.

I feel like jelly now.
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby Niagara » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:32 am

oooh I was looking at that tosh...it's, erm, intense :shock: . But I have to say, I'm right there with Mrs Tosh ;)

I had the cindy crawford vid! :lol:

I also have the billy blanks Tae bo (collection). Seemed like a great idea at the time. Ten minutes in, I was a goner, and there's this old lady (think 80+) keeping right up with it. Shame, just isn't descriptive enough.
If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month -
Theodore Roosevelt
Niagara
Forums Old Timer

Postby Tosh » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:48 am

Niagara wrote:Ten minutes in, I was a goner, and there's this old lady (think 80+) keeping right up with it. Shame, just isn't descriptive enough.

I know some extremely fit older people. Last year I did the Brecon Beacons Fell Running Weekend; two back-to-back fell races, running around the mountains.

I felt well out of my depth there; everyone looked like a gazelle. Anyway, at my first race which was straight up and down South Wales's highest mountain, I saw a little old lady preparing to race and I thought "Well at least I'm not going to come last!" :lol:

Yep; early on as I'm dying on the climb in the baking sun, she just eases past me, taking all my macho self esteem with her.

I didn't come last, mind. :?

So are you going to do Insanity? It is pretty hard going; this is my 2nd time around it.
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby Niagara » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:08 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'd love to do insanity.....but not yet :lol:

I've lost over 3st in the last 9 months or so. I've got about a half of that again to be a healthy weight. I tried running, but ended up with back, knee and shoulder issues, plus a lovely case of plantar fascitis. For now, brisk walking is helping with the weight loss, fitness levels and building up some strength. My blood pressure is back to normal now :)

years of my daily exercise being stumbling to the fridge and back has left me badly weak....I'd probably fall apart if I tried that insanity with my current fitness level :lol: Niagara limbs and body parts all over the floor where the rusty joints gave up the ghost ;)

Swimming would be ideal....but I swim like a brick. :oops:

Happy to eat popcorn and watch you do it though. I'll cheer you on from the sidelines :lol:
If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month -
Theodore Roosevelt
Niagara
Forums Old Timer

Postby Tosh » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:06 am

Hey, well done on the weight loss; for our American cousins (who don't do stones) that's 42lbs and I think that's amazing. I've had a touch of plantar faciatis too; not much fun in the mornings that is. :lol:

What most people do when they start running is they do too much too fast and end up demoralised and injured. If you're still interested, have a google for a 'Couch to 5k' program. I did one with my daughter; there's lots of walking in there mixed up with a little bit of running and it builds you up very gently. The basic premise is, if you can walk 1 mile, you're fit enough to start a couch to 5k program.

And then do a 5k parkrun; they're free and they're ran all over the UK (and in many parts of the world too). And then look for a 10k program. Then a half marathon, then a full marathon! Get sober, run a marathon; it's a cliche I did. :lol:

When I put the drink down, my problem wasn't really my weight (it was a bit), it was years of heavy smoking and drinking had left me with the cardio-vascular system of a 90 year old. It took a while, but I've never felt healthier.
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby ezdzit247 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:52 pm

Tosh wrote:.... I saw a little old lady preparing to race and I thought "Well at least I'm not going to come last!" :lol:

Yep; early on as I'm dying on the climb in the baking sun, she just eases past me, taking all my macho self esteem with her..."

:lol: Thanks for the chuckle!!!
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby Tosh » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:45 pm

I helped run a water station today for a 10k road running race; it was good fun apart from I ended up with all the heavy lifting jobs (25 litre water barrels aren't light). This was the team:

Just look at them, undressing me with their eyes. They think I don't know what they're doing, but it's ruddy obvious! :lol:

And it was nice to watch people flogging themselves around in the heavy rain too:

Though my dog wasn't impressed:

Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby Niagara » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:35 pm

Just a couple of doodles. Working on an oil painting at the mo :)
Theodore Roosevelt
Niagara
Forums Old Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:56 pm

WOW. Mind Blowing.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Brock » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:23 pm

I agree very very good, great talent there Niagara.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Tosh » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:09 pm

Niagara wrote:Just a couple of doodles. Working on an oil painting at the mo :)

Doodles? :lol:

They're brilliant. Are you self taught or have you attended classes?
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby Niagara » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:05 am

Classes waaaay back at school, but pretty much self taught otherwise. Youtube vids help out if I can't get something to look 'just so'. Usually there's someone out there who knows how to :)
Theodore Roosevelt
Niagara
Forums Old Timer

Postby clouds » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:36 am

You should go to Art School, you wuld love it. I did. :D
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.
clouds
Trusted Servant

Postby france11563 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:08 pm

I now have more time to practice guitar, and can knit in the evenings now that I'm not drinking all night! It feels really good, and a little bit scary. I am experiencing myself for the first time in a long time.
france11563
Forums Newcomer

PreviousNext

Return to But We Aren't a Glum Lot ...