Anyone into photography?

"... We absolutely insist on enjoying life" (p. 132, Alcoholics Anonymous). Here's the forum for fun and frivolity. Enjoy!

Anyone into photography?

Postby Tosh » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:59 am

I've returned to photography after about a 20 year rest from it. My original camera was a Minolta X300; a fully manual film camera, which I loved, for a while and then life got in the way.

So a few months ago I got a Micro Four Thirds camera (a fairly radical 'new' design; no prism or mirror) and a bunch of old classic manual 'legacy lenses' - some over 30 years old - which fit to this kind of camera very easily, with an adapter.

Anyway, I'm having fun with it. Anyone else into this kind of thing?
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Re: Anyone into photography?

Postby PaigeB » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:11 am

I don't even know how to use the camera on my phone! Admittedly, though we have cameras that are professional grade (digital or film) down to camera a 5 year old can use - I find it so much easier to use my phone because I always have it handy and downloading is easier.

We are going on vacation in a couple weeks and I am wondering if Hubby will even pack the big one.... yeah, he probably will takes a couple hundred pictures in a few days! No film - he only uses that for professional portrait sittings which he rarely does anymore.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Brock » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:12 pm

Funny thing my first and only camera up to this year was a Minolta as well, that hobby ended about thirty years ago. Then early this year I got a Nikon L830, it’s a pretty cheap (US$ 200) camera and I needed to add certain adaptors to accommodate filters, but it has amazing zoom power and the picture quality is good.

I looked at other systems like the four thirds you have, very nice indeed, much larger image sensor than most compact cameras, larger price than I was willing to pay as well. I have a history of picking up and dropping hobbies, if I am still using this camera and enjoying it in a year’s time an upgrade might be on the cards.

For me using the camera has been good fun, but the part I enjoy most is manipulating digital photographs on the computer. Photoshop is expensive, but a free alternative I use which many “knowledgeable” people say is just as good is “GIMP,” a word which apparently does not mean the same thing in the US as the UK. You Tube and Google searches offer a whole lot of tutorials for using it, some of the best I have seen are by an Englishman John Phillip Jones. Anyone with the time to spare can make a good hobby out of using this, not just for photos but general graphics as well; it can be a paying business when you get good at it. I have done favors for some of the ladies I know, you can soften skin and take out wrinkles, and my most requested work, tummy tucks and boob enhancement. Photography is so cheap now that it is digital, having a lot of fun and hope you do to.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Tosh » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:26 pm

Brock wrote:I looked at other systems like the four thirds you have, very nice indeed, much larger image sensor than most compact cameras, larger price than I was willing to pay as well. I have a history of picking up and dropping hobbies, if I am still using this camera and enjoying it in a year’s time an upgrade might be on the cards.

I did get a 2nd hand bridge camera to start with, which sounds a bit like the one you have, but I ended up wanting more control (I am an alcoholic), so bought a second hand Panasonic Lumix G1 (body only) for the equivalent of $100. The G1 is about six years old now, but this was in really good condition with a low shutter count, and it's a lot of camera for the money. I don't need a camera that shoots 12 frames per second, or that has super-fast auto focus (I prefer manual mostly anyway) And legacy lenses cost very little. I've some great ones that cost around $30. My current favourite lens is a cheap Chinese CCTV, 25mm, f/1.4 (very fast), and it really has a lot of character.

Here - taken with the CCTV lens - it's sharp in the middle, but gives a really distinctive bokeh. This was £17 with the adapter, delivered. It's good for certain shots, but looks terrible for landscapes.

I do like the idea of old lenses on a modern digital camera. And I like trawling ebay for them too!

Brock wrote:For me using the camera has been good fun, but the part I enjoy most is manipulating digital photographs on the computer. Photoshop is expensive, but a free alternative I use which many “knowledgeable” people say is just as good is “GIMP,” a word which apparently does not mean the same thing in the US as the UK.

Oh, yes; this is where photography has really changed for me. No more waiting a couple of days to collect your prints from the developers; I can see them straight away and post edit them. I use Lightroom (I share it with my step-daughter) and it's very good. And yes, gimp is a fairly soft derogatory term in the UK. I could call a sponsee a 'gimp' and it wouldn't be offensive; not really. :D

Is anyone brave enough to stick some pics up? :D
Last edited by Tosh on Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby Tosh » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:30 pm

PaigeB wrote:I don't even know how to use the camera on my phone! Admittedly, though we have cameras that are professional grade (digital or film) down to camera a 5 year old can use - I find it so much easier to use my phone because I always have it handy and downloading is easier.

We are going on vacation in a couple weeks and I am wondering if Hubby will even pack the big one.... yeah, he probably will takes a couple hundred pictures in a few days! No film - he only uses that for professional portrait sittings which he rarely does anymore.

Does hubby annoy you by sticking a camera in your face on a too-regular basis? I've had to stop it with Mrs Tosh otherwise I might find the camera in an orifice in my body. :(

Luckily enough for me I have a willing model that only requires payment in cheese.
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby Niagara » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:19 pm

My 15 year old daughter is a keen photographer, and she's done some great pictures. Alas, the majority I can't post here as they're of people. She's really got a knack for finding interesting shots though.
Sadly, some of the landscapes she's done (she's got a thing for sunsets like me) were on the hard disk of my pc which recently went to the tip after years of faithful service. That's the downside of digital photography :(
Loving the picture of the dog :) Our pet dog is also a favourite model of hers, but again most of the shots have people in them.

I wish I was a better photographer but my artistic talents lie in pencils and paints :lol: I don't think I ever took a good photo in my life.
If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month -
Theodore Roosevelt
Niagara
Forums Old Timer

Postby Duke » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:50 pm

I bought a Sony Nex 6 a couple of years ago because I was tired of every trip, holiday etc., being chronicled on smart phones. I got the 6 because it has the view finder which I prefer over the LCD screen.

I haven't ever done much real photography, but with today's cameras, you don't have to be a genius. I just recently moved beyond the kit zoom lens and started exploring what I can do with a good prime lens. Wow. I had no idea what a difference it makes. I'm kind of anxious for the next adventure so I can put it to the test.

My dogs are my favorite test subjects as well. Not one critical word from them ever.
"If you are humble nothing will touch you, neither praise nor disgrace, because you know what you are.", Mother Teresa
Duke
Forums Old Timer

Postby Tosh » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:43 am

Duke wrote:I haven't ever done much real photography, but with today's cameras, you don't have to be a genius. I just recently moved beyond the kit zoom lens and started exploring what I can do with a good prime lens. Wow. I had no idea what a difference it makes. I'm kind of anxious for the next adventure so I can put it to the test.

My dogs are my favorite test subjects as well. Not one critical word from them ever.

My kit lens is fully automatic with anti-shake technology; 14-42mm; but only f/3.5 (not very fast). It's okay though. However I'm with you all the way on prime lenses; I've a 28mm, a 50mm Canon f/1.8 (a classic lens known as the 'nifty fifty'; it's about 30 years old) and a 300mm Vivitar Series 1 (one of the good ones; not all were - it's a beast). And a few others too. I also like the focal length restriction they put on you; it makes you think more about composing your shot.

This was taken with the Cannon 50mm (a $20 lens);

Oh this one was too (edited to add):

Not bad for $20! And yeh, we let him on the bed. :? :lol:
Last edited by Tosh on Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby Tosh » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:46 am

Niagara wrote:Sadly, some of the landscapes she's done (she's got a thing for sunsets like me) were on the hard disk of my pc which recently went to the tip after years of faithful service. That's the downside of digital photography :(
Loving the picture of the dog :) Our pet dog is also a favourite model of hers, but again most of the shots have people in them.

C'mon, Niagra, get with the program, lass. Borrow her camera, open a flikr account and show us some photos! :D
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby Lali » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:04 am

I'm very interested in getting into photography and have been for some time, but don't think I can afford a good quality camera. My only requirement I guess is that it is digital. Duke, do you think your camera would be good for me as a beginner? May I ask how much you paid for it?

Paige, would you be able to tell me how to download the pictures on my phone to the computer or do I need someone sitting next to me walking me thru it? Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated. As an aside, I hope you have an awesome time at the international conference! I'm so sorry I won't be able to make it.
Step 1: I can't
Step 2: He can
Step 3: I think I'll let him
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Postby Niagara » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:06 am

Tosh wrote:
C'mon, Niagra, get with the program, lass. Borrow her camera, open a flikr account and show us some photos! :D

I really should. It would be great to have my own source material for my arty stuff, instead of trawling the net for it :lol: (or nagging the teenager to take some)

Is photography something that requires a course to get a good understanding of, or self teachable?
If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month -
Theodore Roosevelt
Niagara
Forums Old Timer

Postby Tosh » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:09 am

There's a great market in 2nd hand cameras from ebay, Lali. Some folk always want the latest (like the latest phone), which makes the older models go really cheap. And most cameras have a setting where they can be used as a point and shoot, but my suggestion would be to get one that will go fully manual too, because if you 'get into it', you'll want to have more control over the finished product, rather than what the camera 'thinks' you want.
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby Tosh » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:13 am

Niagara wrote:Is photography something that requires a course to get a good understanding of, or self teachable?

Yes, it's not that difficult really. Youtube has loads of lessons on there. You've just got to play and experiment too, and it costs nothing once you've got your camera.

Nice doggy too; is that an English bull terrier?
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby Niagara » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:15 am

It is indeed :) Daftest animal you ever met in your life, this one :)
Theodore Roosevelt
Niagara
Forums Old Timer

Postby Tosh » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:52 am

Niagara wrote:It is indeed :) Daftest animal you ever met in your life, this one :)

Yes, but I didn't ask you about yourself, what's your dog like? :lol:
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Next

Return to But We Aren't a Glum Lot ...