Any Jazz fans?

"... We absolutely insist on enjoying life" (p. 132, Alcoholics Anonymous). Here's the forum for fun and frivolity. Enjoy!

Any Jazz fans?

Postby brontoset » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:12 pm

So I've been really digging the Jazz greats lately, and sometimes it's almost like a higher power thing. The creativity, the imagination, you know?

Any other Jazz fans? John Scofield, Mike Stern, and Herbie Hancock are all sober now!
brontoset
Forums Enthusiast

Re: Any Jazz fans?

Postby ezdzit247 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:48 pm

I love jazz, all kinds....big time.

My introduction began with Cal Tjader's exotic jazz and evolved from there.
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby Tosh » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:16 am

I've heard it said that there's only two good things to come out of the USA:

1. A.A.
2. Jazz

Unfortunately I've never 'gotten' Jazz. :oops:
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby ann2 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:39 pm

Baseball.

I was a DJ on a college radio and graduared to hostig the jazz program. Then I got sober and discovered grunge. Now all I listen to is the latest song,, which in Sweden is usually pretty good.

Soon Sweden's Melodifestivalen, the huge deal that will result in a Swedish entry to Eurovision, begins its 5 week hold on Swedish TV Saturday nights. I'll be there :)

Music is really really important.

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby ezdzit247 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:54 pm

Tosh wrote:I've heard it said that there's only two good things to come out of the USA:

1. A.A.
2. Jazz

Unfortunately I've never 'gotten' Jazz. :oops:

Only two good things??? LOL..... :lol:

“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby Tosh » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:52 am

ezdzit247 wrote:Only two good things??? LOL..... :lol:

Yes, only two good things. Why are you laughing? :lol:
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby ezdzit247 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:31 pm

Tosh wrote:
ezdzit247 wrote:Only two good things??? LOL..... :lol:

Yes, only two good things. Why are you laughing? :lol:

Mostly because I never would have read this if Al Gore hadn't invented the internet... :lol:
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby Tosh » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:33 pm

:lol:
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby brontoset » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:07 am

I've been going to Smalls every Friday for the 4-7 PM jam. Really phenomenal stuff, but I don't want to drink there.
brontoset
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Lali » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:43 am

Its not worth it, Brontoset.
Step 1: I can't
Step 2: He can
Step 3: I think I'll let him
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Postby zteknik » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:31 am

Do big bands count as jazz? :D
I have been getting more and more into the big band swing era lately.
Reminds me of some of the old movies I watched in my youth. :)
zteknik
Forums Enthusiast

Postby brontoset » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:17 am

zteknik wrote:Do big bands count as jazz? :D

Me too! A lot of those legendary band leaders--like Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Woody Herman, and Harry James--were also great at their instrument! Duke Ellington was a phenomenal pianist!
brontoset
Forums Enthusiast

Postby zteknik » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:48 pm

brontoset wrote:

Me too! A lot of those legendary band leaders--like Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Woody Herman, and Harry James--were also great at their instrument! Duke Ellington was a phenomenal pianist!

Absolutely!
I also have been listening to some more of the not so well known album's by Dizzy Gillespie, Man some good stuff!! :D
zteknik
Forums Enthusiast

Postby ezdzit247 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:53 pm

Oh yeah. The big band era was all about jazz. Loved Glenn Miller's arrangements! What a legacy!
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby David A » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:37 am

I know it's a little taboo to resurrect threads but I thought I might connect with the OP if he or she was still coming around the forum.

I've been studying to be a professional jazz musician for the past couple years, although as it stands now I think I may spend a few years getting a degree for a good day job so I can live in New York sustainably... Spent the last couple years apprenticing/playing/taking lessons with a pretty major cat who relocated from the New York scene... It's my only real claim to fame and I absolutely love the guy, I'm really grateful to have had a chance to study with him. And yes, I love jazz of all types!

Incidentally I have a friend with 20+ years who is one of the major jazz guitarists in my city. Recovering people can totally make good music and stay sober.
David A
Forums Enthusiast

Next

Return to But We Aren't a Glum Lot ...